AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Setting Big Glass

We do RV and Bus Glass from time to time. Right now we have a homemade basket to hold glass and bodies centered on the vehicle. It is attached to a forklift. Then we have ladders and cups for the sides. It works. It is makeshift and could be seriously improved. But, the basic mission of placing the glass and providing a safe installation is met.

Found these guys while surfing youtube. They appear to be exclusively European. But I figured I'd run them by here to see if anyone else has any scoop on them (such as a North American vendor) or even if anyone has used their products.

http://www.sumoglass.fr/machinesdeposeparebrise_en.html

Anyway, after a mishap that caused a broken glass the boss is willing to look at alternatives. No one likes to eat an RV Glass and have to hold the RV on site for a week to get the new on in.

So if you haven't dealt with, heard of, or cared about these guys at the link BUT you do RV glass -- technique ideas would also be cool.

Thanks.

Re: Setting Big Glass

I've done a few of the Equip Auto trade shows in Paris alongside the Techniques Plus guys, manufacturer of this Sumo String and the larger models for bus/train glasses. Jean Luc Domeon is the company principal. They're very professionally made and also very precise, even for massive glasses. the larger models also have a beeper warning on the suction cup plungers to warn of suction loss.

I don't believe they have any US distribution. The products are a bit pricy if I recall, but you get what you pay for.

HTH
Adam at BTB

Looks interesting. I wonder does anyone use the Lil' Buddy for large buses ?

Thanks Adam.

I, and the boss, know that it is likely that these guys are not going to be our solution. Even if the price was right, and I don't have prices yet since emails have not been returned, the shipping would likely make Ebay blush.

I appreciate your insight.

Hey Phil, we do a lot of these huge RV windshields down here in Fl. I have an account that their entire line of new models are 1 piece panoramic applications. We get it done with manpower. Unfortunately Rolladeck's no help on these, but I wonder if the robotic auto glass installer would suffice? We'll never invest that much for the half dozen a month that we do when we have enough bodies to get it done but just a thought. I don't know what the load limit is on that device but these shields have to weigh in well over 100 pounds.

Grow some Walnuts! Man up and get it done.

http://glassmagazine.com/product/auto/glass-setting-tool

Thanks Dan. We have three dealers locally and so far as I can tell are the go to guys for getting it done. I weighed one glass at about 350 pounds give or take.

Thanks Ohm, I'll call them about it tomorrow. Every lead helps.

Ohms link is out of date since Equalizer discontinued selling that tool. We've got some scaffolding comeing in soon and ar looking at mounting an overhead hoist. We tried CRL but it appears that thier handling rigs are meant for flat glass. The boss is afraid that they might turn loose on a big curved glass.

I tried to get him to front me some tickets to Paris to track these guys down and make a deal. He said he'd get back to me right after we solve the Ebola crisis.

Mr. Phil
Ohms link is out of date since Equalizer discontinued selling that tool. We've got some scaffolding comeing in soon and ar looking at mounting an overhead hoist. We tried CRL but it appears that thier handling rigs are meant for flat glass. The boss is afraid that they might turn loose on a big curved glass.

I tried to get him to front me some tickets to Paris to track these guys down and make a deal. He said he'd get back to me right after we solve the Ebola crisis.

Hire sum Burrito Burpers and and call it the day!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com