AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pilkington quality

Pilkington glass has deteriorated to the point I cringe when one comes into the shop. Not saying they are the worst, just complaining about the distortions & out of correct bends of their w/s. Too many defects to say maybe it was just a bad batch. Sorry to see a brand I relied on for quality & integrity descend so far down.

Re: Pilkington quality

Most of the time your better off with a FYG piece now.....

Have not seen any pilkington glass that has what your talking about. I see more of the low inventory and situations where they have the glass but no moulding that is required not in stock with windshield. Cant use part A without part B!!

Is there a particular windshield part that you see this incorrect bend with?

WS Guru
Pilkington glass has deteriorated to the point I cringe when one comes into the shop. Not saying they are the worst, just complaining about the distortions & out of correct bends of their w/s. Too many defects to say maybe it was just a bad batch. Sorry to see a brand I relied on for quality & integrity descend so far down.

( ' ), at least come up with your own complaint instead of plagiarizing Sglass on PPG quality.
Ooops...

Yeah, go figure. I haven't seen any problems with Pilkington.

Ooops
WS Guru

( ' ), at least come up with your own complaint instead of plagiarizing Sglass on PPG quality.
Ooops...

uh huh

dw1523 Pilkington. Saturn ion fits very poorly

Ever try to snap on the cowl on the European vehicles with a PLK glass? Ex. FW2115,2845,3317 and such?

xs
Ever try to snap on the cowl on the European vehicles with a PLK glass? Ex. FW2115,2845,3317 and such?

if we have the time we mix up epoxy & bridge the bottom molding & the glass with it. This usually give it strength to allow you to press the molding in.

Dot 177 glass will certainly not win awards. I had a branch manager at Pilk questioned me on why I would want their LN brand over their 177s. Told him to just compare toplines and overall finish. Looked at me like I spat on his children.

Lets face it, most brands we can buy have declined in quality. I do believe FYG has done a very good job about finishing their product. Compare that to Pilk with laminate poking over the edges and mirror bracket adhesive dripping down the lite (almost guaranteed to fall off within 3 months)
However I have removed several FYG windshields and have large glass shards peel off the laminate as does XYZ/PGW.

There is so much corporate shaving going on with labor and materials that it is a race to the bottom for quality. We in retail want cheap to please an ignorant demanding public. Some of us care very little about what and how we install making it even more difficult to control quality.
Tell me how many owners counts units installed at minimum cost. Some people call that capitalism at its finest. Others call it cheating your clients.

Mr P
mirror bracket adhesive dripping down the lite (almost guaranteed to fall off within 3 months)

Thought it was just me that noticed this...

Sglass
xs

if we have the time we mix up epoxy & bridge the bottom molding & the glass with it. This usually give it strength to allow you to press the molding in.

Or just snap retainer on the cowl and shove it underneath the ws....lol

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com