AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lane Departure and Aftermarket Glass

I have been viewing the posts regarding problems with the Lane Departure with Audis. It is my understanding that people are also having problems with installs in the new Accords that have lane departure as well when aftermarket glass is used as well.

I have done 20-25 installs of Honda and Acura vehicles using OE and never ever have I heard a peep regarding lane departure issues. I notify customers that changing a windshield could alter the vector lines of the camera but yet to have a problem? Why is that?

There are only three variables that can exist in these cases. Glass quality, lamination quality and location of the hardware that holds the camera. I suppose glass location itself could be a contributing cause but I know in my case, I am not marking removal points for reinstall purposes.

So why is using aftermarket an issue? One theory posted has blamed lamination differences that affect the camera optics. Aren't there only two companies that provide lamination to the auto glass manufacturers? Anybody who favors OE over aftermarket suspects the lower quality of aftermarket. Compare DOT 177 over DOT 404 or 15. Same company far different product. Blaming glass quality can be easy but is it right?

The only issue is that there may be a real issue about going cheap instead of going OE until aftermarket gets it right. Just be prepared to pay the piper if issues arise. Or learn to turn off the camera. I can't tell you the number of 200SX windshields that should have been HUD had the projector taped over to render it inoperative.

Re: Lane Departure and Aftermarket Glass

This is the first time that we've run into this issue. Of the many installs we've done with the LDWS we've never been told to have anything re-calibrated. Strangely enough the system works fine for a few hours then fails again. In our case we used a PILK glass to ensure there were no issues with glass quality. Alignment shouldn't be an issue on these. In our case we are getting a failure in both the Adaptive Cruise and Lane Departure. I'm told that they interact in there operation. I'll not do another until I can get resolution on the one that's been posted on here already. I want to know what's going on and how to deal with it. I hope the info that XS has sent over is what's happening with us. I'll know on Wed.

Re: Lane Departure and Aftermarket Glass

I ordered a 2015 Ford Transit in May and I really didn't want the LDWS however,it comes with The package I ordered, I was reading some online Manuals to get ideas on my uplift and ran across this about the LDWS

"For converted vehicles *****d with lane
keeping system, where vehicle mass or geometry
is significantly altered, the system will recalibrate
itself."

OMG they sensor the word Fitt ed

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com