AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Time For Change

I think it is time for change and this maybe may be the answer . I am a small shop who believes in the AGSC and certified techs. Most say SAfe!@#$%^& is the monster in the room but how many of us attack each other and how many are on other networks with pricing that is for worse than that of Safe!@#$%^& . The networks have become corrupt by making the cheapest price the preferred shop . I say support AGSC get certified and go out and sell it and see if your company does not see changes .
As an industry we need to be proactive and not reactive . The attacks are not helping the industry in fact it is killing it . I have seen a lot of mom and pop going out and we can change that . ONE VOICE!

Re: Time For Change

TFC
I think it is time for change and this maybe may be the answer . I am a small shop who believes in the AGSC and certified techs. Most say SAfe!@#$%^& is the monster in the room but how many of us attack each other and how many are on other networks with pricing that is for worse than that of Safe!@#$%^& . The networks have become corrupt by making the cheapest price the preferred shop . I say support AGSC get certified and go out and sell it and see if your company does not see changes .
As an industry we need to be proactive and not reactive . The attacks are not helping the industry in fact it is killing it . I have seen a lot of mom and pop going out and we can change that . ONE VOICE!

WOW! Could not have been said better! When I started my company LEAKPRO we had competition, we differentiated ourselves to be better in everything, now we don't have that competitor around any longer! We wore uniforms and drove clean vans all lettered up and our appearance was clean cut and our tool boxes laid out nice with proper business cards....Too many glass guys are scruffy, wear dirty jeans no name on their shirts, messy tool boxes and cards that have names and phone numbers scratched out....

TFC

And everyday the Independent Glass Association supports the "mom and pop" in addition to the thousands of small to large independent automotive glass retailers. From business education to safe and proper installations, the IGA supports the "one voice" doctrine.

How can you be Independent and want members? If you were INDEPENDENT you wouldn't need anyone. What has the IGA done for you?

Gary Are you a member or in any kind of support of the AGSC .

Joe Low, to your point, I have always thought that 'group of Independents' was an oxymoron, kinda like 'jumbo shrimp'. Too bad, because ONE VOICE would probably be a good thing, but at the end of the day, independents are just that.

TFC
Gary Are you a member or in any kind of support of the AGSC .

Yes, the association is in support of the AGSC and National Council for Auto Glass Qualification (NCAGQ). The IGA also has the Automotive Glass Repair and Replacement Standards & Technology (AGRRSTECH) group to address industry standards when it comes to technology in the industry.

Are all these other standards approved like ( AGRSS )is by ANSI. to the best of my knowledge AGRSS is the only approved standard in north America. Deb and Gary am I wrong . I thought AGSC was the governing body for the AGRSS standard.

TFC
Are all these other standards approved like ( AGRSS )is by ANSI. to the best of my knowledge AGRSS is the only approved standard in north America. Deb and Gary am I wrong . I thought AGSC was the governing body for the AGRSS standard.

There are two ANSI standards for the AGRR industry that AGSC and NWRA chair. Then there is National Council for Auto Glass Qualification (NCAGQ) and the Automotive Glass Repair and Replacement Standards & Technology (AGRRSTECH).

AGRRSTECH is working on an ANSI standard for many areas relating to technology but is also proposing voluntary adoption of certain items to further avoid the deep erosion for technology in the industry.

The NCAGQ is establishing various committee levels to address the broader scope of qualification in our industry to include front/back office, sales and marketing. There is no need for ANSI involvement with that group.

Gary I guess I'm confused I'm a small Independent, why wouldn't IGA push for all Independents to register AGSC and be certified, AGSC already has a track record and is ANSI approved . the reason our industry is falling on its face is because everyone has there own agenda .
I thought I would never say this but it appears Safe!@#$% is changing for the better there cash prices are going up and they are the only network that has been referring my shop to customers because of our certification . the other networks tell customers my prices are to high and recommend a shop with cheap prices and no credentials . Independents have a chance to get on board with something that can help them but don't seem to get it . As the IGA head guy I would like to see you do more in this area .

This stuff has been going on for years.. Hiring attorneys... waiting for a politician or organization to make our industry better.. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! There is a way that we all could make a difference.. Immediately! I'll call it "1 Job a Day" This is how it works:

If everyone who read this thread.. 381 ( at the time I wrote this) .. do everything we can to take 1 cash, commercial or fleet job a day ( even if you break even doing it ) from the from the largest national auto glass replacement company, they will be forced to make positive industry changes. Do the math..

381 jobs x $200 ( approx. average selling price) = $76,200.00 a day
now multiply this by 313 (approx. number of Mon-Sat in one year) =$23,850,600 in sales a year and 119,253 units

As you can see, the numbers are huge..This is something we can control.. This is something that can start tomorrow.. We don't need anyones help... THIS WILL GET THEIR ATTENTION!

TFC

I thought I would never say this but it appears Safe!@#$% is changing for the better there cash prices are going up and they are the only network that has been referring my shop to customers because of our certification.

Are we to believe you are getting paid more than the safelite rate due to your certification?
Cue the music...

No I don't think I get paid more although there Rates seem to be the best out there . Safe!@#$% is going thru change that I think is better and YES they have been ACTUALLY referring customers to my shop thru the network because WE are AGSC registered and my tech are certified in there urethane and AGSC certified . My csr asked customer how they heard about us and they were told by Safe!@#$% that we the only shop in the area with certified tech this has happened more than once .
I'm told Safe!@#$% business model is changing and I'm starting to believe it . They used to steer work away from me now they send it to me . Maybe they are putting a premium on our credentials .

Following the standard must be done for safe installations, but does that mean a shop has to be registered? Many shops have been following the standard for years, even before there was a standard. They do safe, quality installtions for their customers without being registered shops. When AGRSS first started, many shops joined that did not perform safe installations. The "threat" of validation scared some out of the program and others, both safe and unsafe, have dropped out also, mainly because of the dues. The same can be said for certification. There are many shops that have their new hires pass the certification test before they even work on cars. They are now certified, but with no experience. Also, many installers have passed the test in the past and just no longer renew every three years. They are no longer certified, but certainly are experienced, knowledgeable technicians. This is not to say that these benchmarks are not quality ones, but for outside entities that collect yearly dues to be the ones to make the distinction between qualified and non-qualified may not be the answer, no matter how admirable their cause.

What is the answer?? Unfortunately there does not seem to be a clear cut one. First off, we would all hope that everyone doing installations understands the importance of safety and has a conscience to make sure they are doing it correctly, but from improper jobs we have all seen we know this is not the case. We can look to the glass and urethane distributors. Are they vetting their prospective customers to make sure they have some auto glass installation experience or just making the sale? Probably the latter and they probably can justify why because they are not the installation police. Have we ourselves as shops ever sell glass only to customers? I know a few times I have refused to because the customer obviously had no clue, but who is to say the body shop who buys glass only is actually performing a safe installation.

Alot of questions and maybe not enough answers. I applaud following the standard and even true certification knowledge, but technicians/shops can not be excluded just because they do not have these papers. Many have been doing it the right way for a very long time and will continue to do so.

TFC
Gary I guess I'm confused I'm a small Independent, why wouldn't IGA push for all Independents to register AGSC and be certified, AGSC already has a track record and is ANSI approved . the reason our industry is falling on its face is because everyone has there own agenda.

.....Independents have a chance to get on board with something that can help them but don't seem to get it . As the IGA head guy I would like to see you do more in this area .

When did I post that the IGA doesn't support and recommend AGSC and or AGSC certification? Right on our IGA website, under About the IGA, we say the following:

"The IGA inspires and enriches our members by promoting the value of safety, quality and business know-how. Professional members of the IGA must pass rigorous acceptance standards, including a combination of accredited safety education and/or full-time work experience and passage of a accreditation examination administered by the National Council for Auto Glass Qualification (NCAGQ) or the Automotive Glass Safety Council (AGSC) formally known as AGRSS."

Safe and proper automotive glass repair and installation is just but one component of an overall program that independent glass retailers can and must include in their standard operating procedures.

The IGA promotes a full 360 program under our certified member affiliation that allows shops to maximize the profitability and potential.

TFC
No I don't think I get paid more although there Rates seem to be the best out there . Safe!@#$% is going thru change that I think is better and YES they have been ACTUALLY referring customers to my shop thru the network because WE are AGSC registered and my tech are certified in there urethane and AGSC certified . My csr asked customer how they heard about us and they were told by Safe!@#$% that we the only shop in the area with certified tech this has happened more than once .
I'm told Safe!@#$% business model is changing and I'm starting to believe it . They used to steer work away from me now they send it to me . Maybe they are putting a premium on our credentials .

You scare me, Dancing and proud of it.

TFC

Actually, the call center program they run has no idea what your accounts credentials are with regards to AGSC, urethane, etc. Your shop is either;

1) a network participant that accepts rates,
2) a network participant that accepts only certain rates,
3) or a non-network participant shop.

In all three cases, the call center program only has the ability to weigh your CSI/Net-Promoter score.

Your extra work is most likely a statistical fluke and not directly related to any perceived changes within Safelite Solutions.

Well to the other hand I wasn't Dancing but I'm proud to be a registered shop with certified techs . I was only trying to state that the two have value . Sorry if I a fended anyone that wasn't the intent. And Gary I did send my credentials in to Safe!@#$% and received a phone call how impressed they were with that . I only got on safe!@#$5 network this year because all the other networks rates seem to be dropping like a water fall. Again I hardly ever post I just thought the positive experience would be helpful to others .

if your happy with the networks and you know it, clap your hands.
if your dancing and don't even know it, clap your hands.
if you've lost your independence, and your proud to be
certified by the alphabet soups, stomp your feet!

Glad your happy with what works for you.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com