AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I thought Safelite always uses wire

I've watched several SL techs and never yet have I seen them use wire. Today I watched an older tech replacing a ws on a 2012 Kia Optima. I watched for 1/2 an hour as he struggled with a cold knife on the top and sides, then used an extractor on the bottom. Then he used the extractor on the top and still didn't have the ws out when I left. I couldn't bear watching anymore. Would have been the perfect car to use wire on. So what is their policy???

Re: I thought Safelite always uses wire

Kinda hard to believe??? Extractor also??? What market was this?

Sioux Falls, SD

All the Hacklite guys here use the wire only. No long knives allowed. Extractor as need to use basis authorized from location manager.

XS is correct (wow that wasn't easy to say). I use the wire on 90% of the cars and trucks, cold knife on maybe a new Malibu and hand wire the bottom. I think I have used my extractor once last month but just for 5 inches in both bottom corners. I had a 2014 X5 last week and I timed myself working at a regular pace with the wire and the one tech.(call it what you want) key is to set up the wire around the whole WS once and correctly. The wire stripped the urethane already pretty much down to about 4mm so all I had to do was wash the pinchweld and Aktivate it. shot my V and set it spot on. total time from start to everything back together was 50 min. Not too bad IMOP. Put it this way, the wire works Great when it works. But to take the other tools away from a seasoned vet is dumb.

Smiley
I've watched several SL techs and never yet have I seen them use wire. Today I watched an older tech replacing a ws on a 2012 Kia Optima. I watched for 1/2 an hour as he struggled with a cold knife on the top and sides, then used an extractor on the bottom. Then he used the extractor on the top and still didn't have the ws out when I left. I couldn't bear watching anymore. Would have been the perfect car to use wire on. So what is their policy???

According to someone we know at Safelite in NC the last day to use a cold knife in the RDU market is the 15th. Why is the 15th such a magical date i will never know.

You know people are going to be hiding cold knives in the van, much like people do the long knife, I guess people are going to have to get creative on where they hide things, except they are going to have to buy the cold knife blades from somewhere ....

XS is correct (wow that wasn't easy to say). I use the wire on 90% of the cars and trucks, cold knife on maybe a new Malibu and hand wire the bottom. I think I have used my extractor once last month but just for 5 inches in both bottom corners. I had a 2014 X5 last week and I timed myself working at a regular pace with the wire and the one tech.(call it what you want) key is to set up the wire around the whole WS once and correctly. The wire stripped the urethane already pretty much down to about 4mm so all I had to do was wash the pinchweld and Aktivate it. shot my V and set it spot on. total time from start to everything back together was 50 min. Not too bad IMOP. Put it this way, the wire works Great when it works. But to take the other tools away from a seasoned vet is dumb.

We weren't allowed them in our vans, if we got stuck half way through a job they wanted us to drive back to our shop to get it. Nothing like telling a customers you will be back later and leave their ws half removed. They never saw the liability in that. Eventually they took them out of our shops and only allowed one extractor per market and only the quality manager was allowed to carry it. You could be 1 1/2 hours away from him depending on the job location and where the quality manager was. Odd part was when techs came in from other markets to help for a couple of weeks their van would be fully loaded, long knife, cold knife, extractor, fein knife all in the open with nothing to hide. Our market had to write our employee numbers on the ws and return them for inspection from our managers to confirm we only used the wire. I loved the wire but hated working without a safety net.

Clay
We weren't allowed them in our vans, if we got stuck half way through a job they wanted us to drive back to our shop to get it. Nothing like telling a customers you will be back later and leave their ws half removed. They never saw the liability in that. Eventually they took them out of our shops and only allowed one extractor per market and only the quality manager was allowed to carry it. You could be 1 1/2 hours away from him depending on the job location and where the quality manager was. Odd part was when techs came in from other markets to help for a couple of weeks their van would be fully loaded, long knife, cold knife, extractor, fein knife all in the open with nothing to hide. Our market had to write our employee numbers on the ws and return them for inspection from our managers to confirm we only used the wire. I loved the wire but hated working without a safety net.

This is what happens when shirts & ties make the rules for blue collar Techs to follow. On a bigger note, if I was a Bel/Safe Tech & they brought other Techs in my area to get the work done faster, I would be very mad. This only means I get laid off faster and get on the unemployment line sooner.
JMHO

Sglass
Clay

This is what happens when shirts & ties make the rules for blue collar Techs to follow. On a bigger note, if I was a Bel/Safe Tech & they brought other Techs in my area to get the work done faster, I would be very mad. This only means I get laid off faster and get on the unemployment line sooner.
JMHO

Rules are made to be BROKEN......lol

The only time they bring in the Slammers is to catch up on the overflow. The CAT team was known for that also. TRhe regular market techs would be upset because the CAT was taking the ot and PPP work from them

It got to a point that there were too many tools to hide in our vans. Our managers would not just look in our vans daily but actually climb into the back and thoroughly look through it. I kept my cold knife in a Tupperware container in my lunch cooler. It's the only place they never looked. I removed all other tools. It's insane to have to plea for permission to use a tool that you need for a certain job. You're asking a manager who has never installed, so they don't understand or care. I was livid when they forced ALL techs into that trainee toolbox. Sucks going from a nice large ball bearing box into an endless pit of a box. Digging for tools is not efficient. They said customers would be impressed by those boxes, all they did was give off the first impression that you are a rookie. When they banned the fein knife they never explained a new method for slider removal. They suggested just grabbing it and ripping it off the body, prying it off, or hammer and chisel to free it. Great advice from someone who doesn't install but makes or enforces the rules. All I know is none of those methods instill confidence in the customer while they watch.

Other company tech's referred to the Hacklite Tool box as a Play Skool tool set...lol
I was also informed that they film tech's to make sure they do the job by the book. What happen to the hacklite value's. Our most valuable asset is our associates?. And all our associates are empowered?

Clay

I am so glad i no longer work for them, this sounds horrible i put up with waaaaaaaaaaay to much working there. Nothing but headackes, just put it this way when they want you gone you will be there is no fighting lol trust me. Best thing is to learn the old fashioned way and find a nice decent company to work for. Which is hard now and days but their is still some companies our there that appreciate good techs.

in regards to the grip and rip on a slider, you still have to get it started in order to do this, and you get glass all over the **** place.

Larry
in regards to the grip and rip on a slider, you still have to get it started in order to do this, and you get glass all over the **** place.

When we use this method. We tape up the remaining windows. Use a automatic centering punch on them and pick the broken glass sheets and discard. Then proceed to rip like an animal.....

XS, have you seen the tool box yet? You pretty much nailed it. I don't know why they want experienced techs to downgrade and look inexperienced. The drawers can't even accommodate a robogrip, such an unorganized system. Their intention was for us to wheel it in front of the vehicle we were working on to be more efficient. That part they never enforced but I'm sure it's coming. How were they recording people? I figured they eventually would put cameras on the van for that purpose. Last year they gave us a case of urethane and we had to save our empties and hand them in the next day so all tubes would be accounted for. If you gave 10 empties the next day then you were given 10 new tubes, and so on. So very little trust. You're right though, It is ironic how they say they are powered by the people yet be petty over everything. You could have the best numbers in the market but if you showed one bit of dirt on your shirt then you had to wear a black apron. Funny how we weren't allowed to wear black shirts, only red but if the red got dirty then a black apron was ok. Black turtleneck and sweatshirt were allowed, go figure the logic. Nothing like another layer to wear in the hot sun. Looking like a slob is one thing but we are not office workers but mobile mechanics, we are going to get dirty. This was the crap that made me leave. The constant bs just wears on you. The newbies only know the way they are taught so they are loved over the experience techs. We were the ones getting stuff done that the newbies couldn't. I saw kids 3 weeks out of the class leaving with 6 jobs some being BMW, Mercedes etc.. Once they pass the test they are considered techs and they get the full load.

Nice stuff. It's things like that that keep people from being repeat customers. I wish I had a dime for every time a customer told me, " My insurance company made me use Safelite last time. Never again. " My repeat business is what has kept me in business for 34 years. I can only hope Safelite never changes in my area.

Clay
XS, have you seen the tool box yet? You pretty much nailed it. I don't know why they want experienced techs to downgrade and look inexperienced. The drawers can't even accommodate a robogrip, such an unorganized system. Their intention was for us to wheel it in front of the vehicle we were working on to be more efficient. That part they never enforced but I'm sure it's coming. How were they recording people? I figured they eventually would put cameras on the van for that purpose. Last year they gave us a case of urethane and we had to save our empties and hand them in the next day so all tubes would be accounted for. If you gave 10 empties the next day then you were given 10 new tubes, and so on. So very little trust. You're right though, It is ironic how they say they are powered by the people yet be petty over everything. You could have the best numbers in the market but if you showed one bit of dirt on your shirt then you had to wear a black apron. Funny how we weren't allowed to wear black shirts, only red but if the red got dirty then a black apron was ok. Black turtleneck and sweatshirt were allowed, go figure the logic. Nothing like another layer to wear in the hot sun. Looking like a slob is one thing but we are not office workers but mobile mechanics, we are going to get dirty. This was the crap that made me leave. The constant bs just wears on you. The newbies only know the way they are taught so they are loved over the experience techs. We were the ones getting stuff done that the newbies couldn't. I saw kids 3 weeks out of the class leaving with 6 jobs some being BMW, Mercedes etc.. Once they pass the test they are considered techs and they get the full load.

The theory behind the tool boxes was to show general cookie cutter box store mentality. Ever step into a Home Depo or Walmart store? From coast to coast all set up the same. The tool box, uniforms, vans, call center scripts, procedures and many other details are there is try to WHOA the customer... Who wants to be known as the Walmart of Auto Glass???? Sorry but people are not all the same. Every one of our tech's have unique skills and tool preferences that make them perform different. Not Better then another, Just different.

85% of our new customer's was Hacklite's old customers. We didn't go out seeking them. They came seeking alternative choice's because of bad experience's. Once you loose a customer from a bad experience. Not only you loose that customer but 15 potential customers from auto glass replacement referral experiences.

We have newbie's drop by us every so often seeking employment. They run into other tech's from other companies. They see what a real company is all about, They don't stay clueless for ever. If you create a close to perfect work environment. You have happy associates. Happy associates are more productive then unhappy one's. This works best in a small employment settings. Very much doubt you can duplicate this in a large scale.

When marketing your company against the big boyz. Don't market yourself head on. You'll never make it, Market yourself on their weaknesses. Their weaknesses are your strengths. And there are plenty to exploit....lol. Most customers in this area enjoy the personal detail touch a smaller local company can provide vs the big cookie cutter companies

Smiley

If the 12 has the bead that follows the curvature of the top of the windshield thats actually not a good car to wire. The wire will jump up where it dips in the middle and scratch the roof.

If you tape the wire in those spots you never have to worry about it jumping.

They're trying to make the job less of a skill. Hence the wire and the "lil" buddy system. They're paying techs 13 to 14 bucks an hour to do the same job a seasoned vet does. The wire slows guys down who can do 10 to 12 jobs a day doing it the old way. Belron's prices continue to rise and their pay rate for the installers continue to drop. It's a catch 22 for us in the cash market, which means they're almost never competitive, but with the cost of glass going up, we're all fighting for the cash jobs which we aren't making a whole lot on. While belron continues to get mostly all the insurance work...And nothing is being done to stop them

AGD
They're trying to make the job less of a skill. Hence the wire and the "lil" buddy system. They're paying techs 13 to 14 bucks an hour to do the same job a seasoned vet does. The wire slows guys down who can do 10 to 12 jobs a day doing it the old way. Belron's prices continue to rise and their pay rate for the installers continue to drop. It's a catch 22 for us in the cash market, which means they're almost never competitive, but with the cost of glass going up, we're all fighting for the cash jobs which we aren't making a whole lot on. While belron continues to get mostly all the insurance work...And nothing is being done to stop them

Prices for the jobs going up is a good thing IMO. Makes the market pricing structure more profitable for all of us. Its pretty much a all cash market here now anyway. The deductibles are very high. But the funnel system still exists. Some people aren't educated to shop around when they have a high ded.

Insurance work has dropped a certain %. But our commercial & $$$$ segment has picked up. So we are still linear from LYTD. Don't worry insurance companies have a plan. Before you know it. All ded. will be high in all states. Then $$$$ will rule. What will happen then to the Evil Empire with no insurance work or referral????

xs
AGD
They're trying to make the job less of a skill. Hence the wire and the "lil" buddy system.

Both tools reduce or eliminate injuries. Something that cost a company a lot of money and time. If you look at the ergonomics and being a professional in the trade, longevity should be on your radar. 85% of injuries go unreported. Living with injuries and pain is not the "being a man" thing it once was.

These two reports are the evaluation of our industry practices and highlight the potentials for injuries. Good read.
HETA 99–0025–2756
HETA-98-0291-2750

Live long and prosper.

I might add that I like the concept of the RollaDeck over the walk around setting tools. Never cared for mounting to the driver's door glass set-up.
Just my 2 cents.

Rick Nelson
I might add that I like the concept of the RollaDeck over the walk around setting tools. Never cared for mounting to the driver's door glass set-up.
Just my 2 cents.

Naa. the RollaDeck ain't got nothing on the Robotic Auto Glass Installer.....

xs
Larry

When we use this method. We tape up the remaining windows. Use a automatic centering punch on them and pick the broken glass sheets and discard. Then proceed to rip like an animal.....

Good point XS that beats the larry way which is score the middle grip and rip customers love me man handling the back glass :) but i absolutely have done this and will do it again

Clay
If you tape the wire in those spots you never have to worry about it jumping.

Not all the time. Remember, the wire cuts through a pinchweld. It can easily jump out and pop through tape if you aren't careful.

Never had a problem with a Kia at the top, just Tape it in like 5 spots. Easy as pie. No scratches, no prime...

Rick Nelson
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Rick for your kind words about Rolladeck. Not to take anything away from the other fine products on the market which help to sa***uard the health of the technicians and ensure quality sets. I believe they all have benefits and drawbacks including the deck. My thought process when conceiving the deck was "create a system that is so easy to use that techs would choose to use it when possible over any other method including drilling or clamping stops simply because it takes less time." Ask Sir slam alot how it works on those Sienna's. This also helps to prevent rolling or "plowing" the bead which allows for the most desired decking or floating onto the urethane bed.

XS, the auto glass installer is a fine product. I know Randy, great guy. Do you use his system? Great tool for setting large truck and heavy equipment!

glassmandan
Rick Nelson
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Rick for your kind words about Rolladeck. Not to take anything away from the other fine products on the market which help to sa***uard the health of the technicians and ensure quality sets. I believe they all have benefits and drawbacks including the deck. My thought process when conceiving the deck was "create a system that is so easy to use that techs would choose to use it when possible over any other method including drilling or clamping stops simply because it takes less time." Ask Sir slam alot how it works on those Sienna's. This also helps to prevent rolling or "plowing" the bead which allows for the most desired decking or floating onto the urethane bed.

XS, the auto glass installer is a fine product. I know Randy, great guy. Do you use his system? Great tool for setting large truck and heavy equipment!

We use the lil buddy and the solo set. Every technician has their own preference of the 2. I've been eyeing up the auto glass installer system. I just have to get over the price and bite the bullet and pull the trigger and buy it!!!!! Maybe he will have a booth @ the show and I can grab the demo unit for a cash price !!!!

I think I remember from an old post somewhere that you are in the DFW market... Is this still correct?

ACS
I think I remember from an old post somewhere that you are in the DFW market... Is this still correct?

Nope NE market

Rick Nelson
Just my 2 cents.

Would you two get a room please?

I really like the Rolladeck system. Today it made an easy job easier. (Nissan Cube). Since we're talking Safelite, Today I did a repair for a guy that had one scheduled at their shop. He showed up and was told no one was their to do it. He also told me to get the repair done he HAD to purchase new wipers...lol.. now I can't see how that could be true but it's what he told me. BTW... I'm in room 312...LOL

I don't do glass anymore so my observation is from the consumer viewpoint. The Lit'l Buddy and Solo are great tools.

Marcus, careful, only a very small group of suppliers come here anymore. I limit my comments as it is. Can't you feel the love?

Sir Slam A Lot
I really like the Rolladeck system. Today it made an easy job easier. (Nissan Cube).

Thanks Slam for making that point. I have talked with lots of guys that use other setting systems. Most claim they only use these systems in extreme cases like a high center of gravity they say because of set up time. The Rolladeck works very well on most all larger installations even with a high center, but it is also highly effective on the average installation as well like your Nissan Cube. It also makes lifting out the old windshield easy. I use mine every day, been a long time since I've seen the chiropractor!

Sir Slam A Lot
I really like the Rolladeck system. Today it made an easy job easier. (Nissan Cube). Since we're talking Safelite, Today I did a repair for a guy that had one scheduled at their shop. He showed up and was told no one was their to do it. He also told me to get the repair done he HAD to purchase new wipers...lol.. now I can't see how that could be true but it's what he told me. BTW... I'm in room 312...LOL

Never heard that one. Tell you what, some of the Office people schedule a repair when the guys take the repair kits for the road or when a tech isn't certified.

Not all cars the wire can be used on, it' says that on the commercial. (Small letters)
So to answer your question they use the wire when it can be used on a vehicle and cars that it can't be used on they don't.
You would have to be trained and own a wire system to know that.
But I guess it's easier to talk about what a guy didn't do than what he did right by not using wire on a car design that prevents it.

He could have used wire, and the point is he hacked the daylight out of that poor Kia. Anyone who knows how to use a cold knife and the extractor (my installers and me for example) could have done it in far less time, and the car wouldn't have got a single scratch. We're talking about the difference between hacks and skilled installers. If the hack that worked on the Kia hasn't learned the needed skills at his age he never will.

Smiley
He could have used wire, and the point is he hacked the daylight out of that poor Kia. Anyone who knows how to use a cold knife and the extractor (my installers and me for example) could have done it in far less time, and the car wouldn't have got a single scratch. We're talking about the difference between hacks and skilled installers. If the hack that worked on the Kia hasn't learned the needed skills at his age he never will.

so only techs with the wire are hacks? I guess nobody ever has scratched, broke out, cut a pillar ETC..with an Extractor....Pleeeease
Oh and a cold knife cant be used at the top corners of an Optima...

Did you even read what I wrote???? The hack didn't use wire. He could have, but he didn't. And you CAN use a cold knife and Extractor without causing damage. The difference is how skilled the tech is. Period. Please read these posts carefully and don't take things out of context.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com