AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Level 1&2 PinchWeld Rust treatment charge?

When encountering level 1&2 rust. Some of us use metal etch primer either from Equalizer or Dow. We also must sand down and use primers according to urethane manufacturer that you are using. Question is do you charge for the additional service?

Re: Level 1&2 PinchWeld Rust treatment charge?

Very lucky for us, this is not something that were seeing , I guess we are blessed.

Don't forget to Use Acid 1st then wipe with a damp cloth before you use that Rust etching primer, then 2 coats of 206....And it's part of the job why charge? They all cant be a fresh new VW

We don't currently charge a fee but this will be changing. We all should without question. I encounter level 1 and 2 far more often than I care to see. Some level 3 and a rare level 4 just today. It's a big industry problem that's not going away anytime soon. Oddly not many ever bring corrosion up.

It's not your problem or your customers. Make corrosion mediation policy and document it. Pictures say a thousand words. Bill accordingly. Let the insurance chase the previous installer for reimbursement. Give your customers a good clean install and educate them about the process and mainly the reasons. You both sleep well.

LONG KNIFE
Don't forget to Use Acid 1st then wipe with a damp cloth before you use that Rust etching primer, then 2 coats of 206....And it's part of the job why charge? They all cant be a fresh new VW

What happen to the Aktivator step before and after the 206?
Rust is not part of a windshield replacement job.
It takes additional labor and materials to correct a hack job
U must work for Hacklite to come up with a statement like that!
Or maybe just a bad businessman?

ABSOLUTELY WE CHARGE $50 TO $100 EXTRA FOR THE WORK!

Ditto. Why would you give services away? Unless you're the culprit for the rust of course you should charge to treat it. Why else would Nags have a part number for rust repair?

R U Serious ?
LONG KNIFE

hahaha, you don't Use Aktivator after you use 5201 on a rust box...Oh and the Safelite Techs use the wire and have knowledge of all the Chemicals....Rust? we don't cause Rust with the wire. it's you and your Fein knife......Think about this, start charging your 100 extra dollars and soon you will not get the work after they get the Bill..But you know who will? and we don't charge extra and have everything to treat it..Man got to love our stock, cases of what we need to do a quality job. And we do take pics of the damage from the last time you hacks did it. well off to drive my free van with free gas to the Vacation Home..Have a great weekend, Oh and a free paid day off Monday..Woohoo....Hahahahahaha

LONG KNIFE
R U Serious ?
LONG KNIFE

hahaha, you don't Use Aktivator after you use 5201 on a rust box...Oh and the Safelite Techs use the wire and have knowledge of all the Chemicals....Rust? we don't cause Rust with the wire. it's you and your Fein knife......Think about this, start charging your 100 extra dollars and soon you will not get the work after they get the Bill..But you know who will? and we don't charge extra and have everything to treat it..Man got to love our stock, cases of what we need to do a quality job. And we do take pics of the damage from the last time you hacks did it. well off to drive my free van with free gas to the Vacation Home..Have a great weekend, Oh and a free paid day off Monday..Woohoo....Hahahahahaha

I have yet to see a safelite tech that knows how, and properly performs corrosion mediation. More times than not possibly even causing more damage. The reasons are obvious.
The ezi-wire is an awesome tool for sure. But don't be so naive to think that you're the only one using wire.
Maybe it's your previous damage we're fixing? You're not going to educate me while grinding on my second most prized possession...nor charge for it?
Independents earn their work and have happy return clients. It's not handed to us.
Your stock? Walls of water my friend.
Ever wonder who pays for that free van and free gas on your free day off?
I wish you the best on your corporate journey.

LONG KNIFE
R U Serious ?
LONG KNIFE

Hey Hammer Boy,
1st off 5201 is a essex product. You should know not to mix and match chemicals from different urethane manufacturers. So I can understand why aktivator step mite be needed.

2nd. Ive seen what the ezi wire does to Vinn # that you guys cut off. Look at the ezi wire that you guys use at Enterprise Rent a car. How many Ford Focus Slavelite had to buy because the Ace tech's cut the bottom of the pinchweld off and a internal bulletin not to use it on those cars?

3rd all our techs have 3 days off this weekend and gets paid for Monday. Our techs have use of the vans that are NOT GPS TRACKED and fuel cards for commuting back and forth to work also Jr. What you have is nothing new and special.

4th.. Fein knife??? Who even uses them anymore? They still even in bizness??? Really???. Due to popular belief Jr. We has Powered remote controlled Glass Bots. Way better then even the 2nd revision of the ezi wire your on now. And the 1-tech is a joke compared to the new Aegis Solo set and the lil buddy.

5th Enjoying working Saturday for you paid Monday off....

Take the blinders off Jr and look out the box and see what's really out there. Stop drinking the corporate Kool Aid. That $hit will kill you...lol

Long Knife,
What are you talking about? The question was do you charge for extra service and the answer was yes. Fault, competition, who's better, who's worse. blah, blah, blah I don't understand or get it.

Bottom line was do you charge for extra services that you perform and the answer was overwhelming yes.

Hey XS , work sat for Monday?? U have no clue, I worked sat for 5 hours OT...and have next sat off. so anyway..

LONG KNIFE
Hey XS , work sat for Monday?? U have no clue, I worked sat for 5 hours OT...and have next sat off. so anyway..

Read on clueless http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2036554146&frmid=6&msgid=942709&cmd=show

LONG KNIFE

5 hrs OT???? Man with the PPP going on. You have to install alot of glass to overcome that OT!!!!. Or maybe on clueless about that also ????

XS nailed it, but I have a question. When I worked at 'that' company in our operating practice manual and test it was stated 5201 was an exception and approved for Sika and Dow. Is that something the national trainers decided and printed? Or are they wrong? I'm looking right at my old compliance agreement and it's stated there in bold. Just curious. Also, within the few months of the wire system there were 7 Focus's bought nationwide. I'm sure the number is much greater now years later. One was in our market. It was a $600 body shop repair but they bought the car anyway. Our market was never told to not use the wire on those, it seems each market had their own rules. After a bunch of Mazda wire damages they said go to cold knife and hand wire the bottom, then they banned the cold knife forcing guys back to the Ezi wire. Damages were down on those cars but then came right back when forced back to the Ezi wire. I never understood their logic. We only had the Ezi wire and hand wiring in our vans. They were told to use fiber line for the Focus's or ezi wire three quarters then hand wire the bottom. They would rather risk damage on those high risk cars instead of making exceptions on those vehicles by using other tools. Again, never understood their train of thought

The correct answer would be if you was to use Essex Dow 5201 metal etch primer to correct level 1 & 2 rust. You use the complete Essex Dow urethane system. We carry Essex Dow Express limited quantities in our vans and shop. Remember auto glass replacement companies install a windshield replacement retention system. That is the legal definition as in the case in Texas when a technician failed to seal a rubber gasket with urethane. If you have a failed urethane retention system from Sika and you used a Essex product in conjunction with Sika urethane. Do you think Sika will stand behind their warranty?

Neither Sika or Essex will ever print anything in writing about mixing chemicals in an installation is warrantied. That was the national Hacklite training staff doing. Since they are in house certify. They can make their own rules. As of Agrss and NGA its a no-no to mix and match chemicals from different uethane manufacturers.

If this is not so. Please print the technical information here from either Essex or Sika. I would be the 1st to say I was incorrect and my apologies for supply incorrect information.

Thanks for clarifying XS, that makes sense. You said what I always thought and felt, but we were instructed to do it and was told it was ok. Considered we were tested on it in their certifications. I always had my doubts. I always loved their test question 'where on a ws is a scratch acceptable prior to installing". Everyone always got it wrong cuz they would answer " no where, scratches shouldn't be on new glass"

My personal best on the test was " Where was the Hacklite employee allowed to smoke?"
(A) customer waiting area
(B) in the office
(C) in the warehouse
(D) in the work van

What does that have to do with installing glass????

xs
LONG KNIFE

5 hrs OT???? Man with the PPP going on. You have to install alot of glass to overcome that OT!!!!. Or maybe on clueless about that also ????

I make more with OT than PPP. I don't do a lot, I do 6 windshields a day and 4-5 on Saturday's.

It was verbally stated that 5201 and 206 were okay, but I don't recall anything in print. Part of the reason they don't (can't) charge for it.

Corrosion mediation has been benchmarked several years ago. Not cool and flashy enough for some companies I'd guess.

BL
It was verbally stated that 5201 and 206 were okay, but I don't recall anything in print. Part of the reason they don't (can't) charge for it.

Corrosion mediation has been benchmarked several years ago. Not cool and flashy enough for some companies I'd guess.

Verbally wont cut it for us. We ain't looking to get sued or put someone life @ risk. Its just easier for us to use the Essex complete urethane package when using 5201. Unfortunately we run across more then a few cases a week now from previous installations dealing with rust. We document with pictures and have customer sign off on the waivers.

Yes we charge extra for it. You'd be a fool not to. I didn't get the acid and etch for free.

LONG KNIFE
Think about this, start charging your 100 extra dollars and soon you will not get the work after they get the Bill..But you know who will? and we don't charge extra and have everything to treat it.

Of course you guys don't charge extra if your the guys that caused all of it back then in the first place! Just trying to fix what you caused with the pro-cut and hack installers.

?
LONG KNIFE
Think about this, start charging your 100 extra dollars and soon you will not get the work after they get the Bill..But you know who will? and we don't charge extra and have everything to treat it.

Of course you guys don't charge extra if your the guys that caused all of it back then in the first place! Just trying to fix what you caused with the pro-cut and hack installers.

All you guys do is Bash safelite techs. Some of us have been installing for 10-20 years and do it well. Let me tell you that I have seen Many shops in my life doing things wrong. causing rust ETC.. I just went to help out a shop south of Boston and the guys at that safelite shop were very good and if they were scraping a pinchweld they cleaned it and treated it as you should. so when you say Hacklite and so on your busting every good tech's balls. I guess if it makes you feel better then keep it coming. I also want to say that do you know how many cars already have been done poorly when we get them? we can only do what we can of what we were giving. yes the wire can be dangerous if not used correctly, but I guess that's what upper ups get when they hand a new guy the wire and see him off. You cant train a guy on every car out there. Any questions just ask me , I'm here to stay.

LONG KNIFE
I have seen Many shops in my life doing things wrong. causing rust ETC.. I just went to help out a shop south of Boston and the guys at that safelite shop were very good and if they were scraping a pinchweld they cleaned it and treated it as you should.

Why would you need to scrape the pinchweld when the eziwire cuts the urethane down to 2-4 mm automatically ? Hmm.

LONG KNIFE
?
LONG KNIFE

All you guys do is Bash safelite techs. Some of us have been installing for 10-20 years and do it well. Let me tell you that I have seen Many shops in my life doing things wrong. causing rust ETC.. I just went to help out a shop south of Boston and the guys at that safelite shop were very good and if they were scraping a pinchweld they cleaned it and treated it as you should. so when you say Hacklite and so on your busting every good tech's balls. I guess if it makes you feel better then keep it coming. I also want to say that do you know how many cars already have been done poorly when we get them? we can only do what we can of what we were giving. yes the wire can be dangerous if not used correctly, but I guess that's what upper ups get when they hand a new guy the wire and see him off. You cant train a guy on every car out there. Any questions just ask me , I'm here to stay.

Sad to say Long Knife. But I dont see many tech's working @ Slavelite with 10-20 years experience anymore. I mite see 20 year old tech's..... IMO they got rid of all their seasoned tech's for what ever reason and hired all newbie's. Putting all your eggs in one basket is foolish at the least.

xs
LONG KNIFE
R U Serious ?
LONG KNIFE

Hey Hammer Boy,
1st off 5201 is a essex product. You should know not to mix and match chemicals from different urethane manufacturers. So I can understand why aktivator step mite be needed.

2nd. Ive seen what the ezi wire does to Vinn # that you guys cut off. Look at the ezi wire that you guys use at Enterprise Rent a car. How many Ford Focus Slavelite had to buy because the Ace tech's cut the bottom of the pinchweld off and a internal bulletin not to use it on those cars?

3rd all our techs have 3 days off this weekend and gets paid for Monday. Our techs have use of the vans that are NOT GPS TRACKED and fuel cards for commuting back and forth to work also Jr. What you have is nothing new and special.

4th.. Fein knife??? Who even uses them anymore? They still even in bizness??? Really???. Due to popular belief Jr. We has Powered remote controlled Glass Bots. Way better then even the 2nd revision of the ezi wire your on now. And the 1-tech is a joke compared to the new Aegis Solo set and the lil buddy.

5th Enjoying working Saturday for you paid Monday off....

Take the blinders off Jr and look out the box and see what's really out there. Stop drinking the corporate Kool Aid. That $hit will kill you...lol

XS you could not have said it better my friend! i drive a diesel brand new sprinter and sure earn my work and customers they are not given. I go and do my work alone and not have some "quality control" manager breathing down my neck. All of our csr"s schedule accordingly we dont get all 6 am jobs and have to lie to the customer on why i am showing up at 3

all AM Jobs??? I do them in the order the sheet says. I don't even look nor care about times. I cant be everywhere at all times. 8-1 or 1-5. it's simple. Let me get back to my Vacation and watch the UFC...

LONG KNIFE
all AM Jobs??? I do them in the order the sheet says. I don't even look nor care about times. I cant be everywhere at all times. 8-1 or 1-5. it's simple. Let me get back to my Vacation and watch the UFC...

LONG KNIFE
Man got to love our stock, cases of what we need to do a quality job. And we do take pics of the damage from the last time you hacks did it. well off to drive my free van with free gas to the Vacation Home..Have a great weekend, Oh and a free paid day off Monday..Woohoo....Hahahahahaha

Confused? Pro Slavelite in one conversation. Then negative in another. Are you Bi-Polar? Slavelite procedure to to call every customer on your manifest and confirm time and part. And when there are issue's you have to address them. Aren't you a company team player?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com