AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
best work van for the money?

Hey all,
I need to replace my Econoline sometime in the next 6-8 months or so... maybe sooner. Tired of getting 12 MPG on average, but like the room. The Transit Connect gets my attention, but figure they are too small. Especially since I do Flat glass too. Looked into the Nissan, but MPG is about the same as what I'm getting. I have a Chevy Express too... like it for the most part, but issues there too. Sprinter? Too many of my customers say they're junk. Opine away...

Re: best work van for the money?

Check into the econoline replacement called just "transit" think connect but bigger.
You'll love it.

I replaced mine with a Transit Connect, it's smaller but taller the gas mileage difference is INSAINE. BUT in 2014 your hosed, they made the van longer and the height shorter so its no dice for an auto glass van. If you do a Prior to 2013 model, Lee from here, glass America, lots of people are using the TC. I personally preferred the heating & AC package I only did the curb side tool box, and this is perfect as it is an elevated tool box. I have seen others such and Dave Z (former IGA President) they have them too but they were set up different than mine, I think they have less length than the setup I used.

Yeah, Larry... Maybe I could make a TC work, but yeah. Not much solid data on the MPG for the full size Transit yet so hard to compare...

The transit the full size one is outrageously priced. We thought about getting one, but the price tag VS the gas savings was not worth it. As much as I am not a fan of Dodge the Ram van has plenty of room and the price tag does not sting like the full size transit...

Larry

We upgraded out fleet into 2013 Transit Connect service vans. All windows except the rear 1/4's. We modified the partitions in the center to allow 3 DW1451 GTY or DW1494 GTY to slide in with no problems. We kept only the right side shelving.

Gas savings has been insane. We cut our fuel bill by 1/2 from our old AWD astro cargo van fleet. We kept one around just for a spare. A/C is ice cold in them. Heat will toast you rite out. Slightly under powered. But manageable.

But like Larry said the 2014 has been redesigned and not auto glass friendly due to the high restriction.

Larry must have missed the part where you said you do flat glass. I have never seen anyone doing flat out of these vans. I have however seen a modified rack as mentioned above.

Martin

You know the Story J but for the rest, I ordered a 2015 Transit with just about every option including My Touch SYNC radio with NAV, Sirius/XM and back up camera, Chrome trim package, Duel Batteries, HD alternator, anti slip differential, Cruise, Power windows and locks, Keyless entry, Remote start, Block heater (You all know I NEED that) Bigger Mirrors & Tow Package. I went with the 250 in regular length and the Mid roof. I went with the 3.5 Ecoboost Motor (I hope I do not regret that because I have read bad things about the Ecoboost) I didn't want any rear windows, Doing my own uplift with the Partition, Tool Boxes, Hydrotherm heater,Inverter, Strobes and HID lights along with a 12" Rockford Fosgate Powered Sub.... (I LOVE music and now with the SYNC radio I wont miss anymore calls...LOL) I ordered factory switches to run my HID's and Dash Cam. I am going to love the overhead storage. I ordered this Unit May 10th. Dealer said it should be here mid July!! WRONG!!! I guess they do not have the My Touch radios for the Transit yet so Production is set for the first week of December and delivery late January. I expected delays however, 9 months is a JOKE!!! I have been training my Son and expanding my business to a larger market which he will head. Plan was to have him take over my 09 E-150 and this is setting us back around 5 months. As far as price, I didn't really price the Sprinters however, My unit was 39K and they took it down to 36 and I believe a stripped down Sprinter will set you back more than that, and I did not want a diesel. I don't have enough room as it is and could not imagine downsizing to a smaller vehicle. As far as fuel, Transit is suppose to get 16% better fuel economy than the E-150 (I read where this could be padded). Fuel economy never was an issue for me I simply adjust my pricing to accommodate. Probably NOT the best van for the Money but I wanted a nice ride since I am in it or around it most of the day, Good luck with your search J and keep us posted with what you go with.

36K WOW... Baller.............lol

We've be experiencing 22 mpg in the city and 26 on the hwy

You be surprised the amount of room you have with these if you statically organize things. We emptied all the things we had in our Astro vans into these without a problem.

STATICALLY ???????????????????????????????????????

statically (ˈstætɪkəlɪ)

Definitions
adverb

unchangingly
(physics) in a way that does not cause movement
(computing) using static memory
static (ˈstætɪk )

Definitions
adjective

Also: statical
not active or moving; stationary
(of a weight, force, or pressure) acting but causing no movement
of or concerned with forces that do not produce movement Compare dynamic (sense 1)
relating to or causing stationary electric charges; electrostatic
of or relating to interference in the reception of radio or television transmissions
of or concerned with statics
(sociology) characteristic of or relating to a society that has reached a state of equilibrium so that no changes are taking place
(computing) (of a memory) not needing its contents refreshed periodically Compare dynamic (sense 5)
noun

random hissing or crackling or a speckled picture caused by the interference of electrical disturbances in the reception of radio or television transmissions
electric sparks or crackling produced by friction

The 15% improvement that Ford boasts seems sketchy at best to me. 15% over which motor? The V8 that gets 12MPG or the V6 that gets 16MPG? The last van I bought I paid about $6000 and have used it for 7 years. Might be money ahead to do that again. Pay for gas vs a payment, but I would like a little more comfort too... like you said- we're in these things an awful lot.

Too many mechanics say the Sprinters are junk (are the new Ram van's Sprinters?)

Chevys are decent, but nothing has changed on em in years.

Hate to work out of two vans, but a transit connect would be nice for the MPG.

I think were going to go with a short sprinter. MB version Diesel.. Nothing on the market really fits the bill that is in production.

We have had our TC since Aug 2010. The only problem was the Bluetooth radio. Ford couldn't get it to work and gave us a rebate for it and put in a regular radio. For us its perfect for hauling the raw glass to the laminator. We really don't use this as a mobile vehicle just to move glass. For mobiles and stand bys we use the pickups. This is probably the best vehicle we have had(except the 70 ford truck with a crate 460 in it). We bought a service contract and the only things we have bought for it are tires. Going on 70 thousand no problems.

My TC totaled out :( and it had 180,000 on it no issues other than blowing a fuse once.

The Transits are good. Alot of the insurance companys use them here. I have been looking into one of the ugly N200 not the 2000. It is the connects competitor. NADA new is around 22,000

The n200 does not have a big enough opening in the back I am pretty sure. Neither does the 2014 TC

Since NO dealers where I live have the new Ford Transit I ordered, I went to see one in Dayton Ohio while on Vacation. The ones I saw were stripped down but I still loved what I saw, I believe they currently have a 1500 rebate (on in stock vehicles) and an additional 1000 dollar rebate towards your uplift package, I have read review after review and really the only negative I have found besides the delays in production was the room between the seats is rather small, Not a problem with me since I bolt the door shut on the partition anyway, If you are in a larger city it may be worth a drive over to a Ford Dealer for a test drive. What I am impressed with is the huge opening when the sliding door is open. For installers that actually work out of their vans, This is gonna be really nice. I will say also, on my trip back home I saw several and I mean Several Nissan NV's on the road, I never even looked at these as an option for personal reasons... LOL

Chevy is going to carry the NV200 branded as the "City Express" sometime soon- I am going to compare the TC and these as soon as they hit the dealerships. If I take on a van payment I want to save gas- All my other vans I paid cash for. 25mpg is very attractive... the money I save on gas will cover most of the payment.

The height should be ok too on either (I measured the door opening on the TC and the NV200 is bigger), plus I have a rack that has a smaller base on one side, giving me 2" more for I believe 4 spaces... most of the flat glass I do would still fit too- including patio doors.

25 MPG... Yea, with Grandma driving 40 MPH with nothing inside the van!!! Ad your tools and 9 Windshields along with driving 65-70 I bet you are lucky to get 16 MPG. No one ever gets what is on the sticker. I did find a Forum on Transits, One thread is on REAL fuel economy. They are all over the place, One driver is getting 16.2 city and 20.2 Highway, He says he drives 65 with about 1000 pounds of payload. I saw my first Transit commercial today watching The Packers Spank The Bears... I have seen 3 on the road so far. I also am seeing more and more NV's on the road too. I get around 14 In my current ride It would be really nice to gain another 100 miles per tank.

just get a bigger tank! lol

We run GMC 1500 Sierras loaded with pak rat tool boxes (the drawer type) which weigh about 250 lbs empty so I figure with glass rack and tools 800 lbs and get 16-20 mpg and they have 4.8 v8 motor plus I can still pull my Malibu wake boarding boat..lol but I wish GM would put a Duramax in the van I would buy it, my GMC Duramax gets about 23 on highway and 18 towing but its to big for a glass truck

They put the duramax in the 3500 vans. Great truck.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com