AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OK IGA Want to Help Make a Real Difference?

Me & a small group in NY have gotten this ball rolling on our own. Now that it's pending maybe you could jump on the band wagon to help get it passed. AGRR magazine could even do a story.
Relates to prohibiting automotive insurance companies from requiring their insured to utilize a specific person for window glass repair on it. This would be another major change in our industry.
Bill A9514-2013
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A9514-2013
I'm sure Bel/Safe is already mounting a counter measure.

Re: OK IGA Want to Help Make a Real Difference?

So they can't recommend a specific person, how about a specific company.
Not sure if the state is in the business of writing scripts. We sound like
we are treating symptoms without treating the disease.

Sglass, you've caught my attention. I'm looking at the bill. Can you email me at jreed@glass.com? Thank you

Sglass,

We had that on the ropes and it was defeated at the eleventh hour. I don't want to sound like a skeptic but it will be very difficult. We had some of the best reps in NYS on that. Reach out to Scott Owen if he is still in the business.

The IGA is happy to alert all members in New York to this amendment. They can choose to form a legislative coalition in order to collect funding.

From a national level, the IGA can reach out to the amendment sponsor to provide any non-funding support it can including access to our data, etc.

The IGA website contains all of the information regarding legislative practices under the Advocacy tab.

Mike in NY
Sglass,

We had that on the ropes and it was defeated at the eleventh hour. I don\'t want to sound like a skeptic but it will be very difficult. We had some of the best reps in NYS on that. Reach out to Scott Owen if he is still in the business.

Lol who do you think Scott Owen has been working with all these years? Funny you should have know that .

Sglass,not sure who you are by your pen name, but you are then familiar with what happened on the bill to eliminate the exclusion language. Its worth a shot but the lobby and shadiness of NY politics is evident.

Mike in NY
Sglass,not sure who you are by your pen name, but you are then familiar with what happened on the bill to eliminate the exclusion language. Its worth a shot but the lobby and shadiness of NY politics is evident.

The bill you may be referring to never had a true sponsor. That was a problem, now we have a true shot. This fix is a simple doable one. We did reach out to you back then but you were always too busy to give us your time. Hopefully IGA doesn't repeat the same mistake under Gary.

It did. Maybe we are not referring to the same issue.Assemblywoman Joan Christensen (my rep) was one of two sponsors in the assembly. She threatened to withdraw her sponsorship when the insurance committee tried to water it down. They restored it to the original and it went down to defeat at the 11th hour. It had two sponsors in the Senate as well and looked like widespread support. This was a bill to eliminate the exclusion for auto glass. It cannot hurt to try again, but those with the financial backing win in NYS.

http://www.glassbytes.com/documents/Safelite%20letter%20text.pdf

Mike,

Why is it that the IGA only seems to care about NY,and MN?

Steve.

Steve From Yellowstone
Mike,

Why is it that the IGA only seems to care about NY,and MN?

Steve.

The IGA cares about every independent automotive glass professional and the industry on a world-wide basis. Here in the USA, the IGA is involved in multiple state efforts from legislative to consumer education. We particularly strive to educate shops on how to become leaders in enterprise and their communities.

If you feel the IGA should be involved with something in your state, please contact us and/or assist the IGA in starting a state chapter.

hi Steve,

I don't believe that to be the case. When I was at the IGA, we had initiatives in a number of states. Some states are more active and vocal than others. I have no reason to believe that Gary and the current board of the IGA would favor any state but will be active in any state where legislative initiatives would benefit independents as a whole. It is my opinion that state legislation will not solve your problems. If legislation does pass, enforcement and penalties are lacking. In addition, state representatives, as I found while making a presentation at NCOIL, believe that the current scenario is in the best interests of the consumers. Those on your side were in the minority. It is up to each and every one of you to change that perception. I always liked the fact that those trying to protect the status quo must allocate and invest both financial and personnel resources to fight state legislative initiatives. Keep in mind that a trade association belongs to the membership. If you are not a member, become a member and be vocal and participate.

Mike in NY
Keep in mind that a trade association belongs to the membership. If you are not a member, become a member and be vocal and participate.

Mike is dead on with this statement!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com