AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question, does NAGS labor hours ever change?

New list prices come out like twelve hundred times a year, but do the labor hours ever change? If so, do the hours ever go down?

Re: Question, does NAGS labor hours ever change?

Statistically, no. Year-over-year analysis of labor rates yields very little in the way of labor hour changes since the NAGS rebalance. Some models do receive changes based on direct feedback by auto glass and collision repair shops for mostly non-windshield parts.

YEAH THEY KEEP GOING DOWN.

Actually, yes, they do go down.

Two of us spent a few hours on the phone one day combing through old paper NAGS sheets back to the late 80s and early 90s, and compared what was some of the top selling parts back then, to now.

Obviously, one couldn't compare hours on parts that didn't exist then, to now, mind you.

What we did note, on one example, was a significant change on one top part, and we calculated loosely the rate of change.

On that specific part, it was easily calculated (again, loosely) that by the year 2025 or something like that, the part would be installing itself, because the labor hours would have decreased to zero.

Someone said that saving those old paper books could come in handy some day, and a closer scrutinization may yield some very interesting changes.

It has been discussed among some how the Electronic versions are systematically wiped clean of the old, with each new update.

The paper trail does not have this issue.

Such is the case with many of the NAGS service codes that cannot be input or recognized into a computer, yet they are clearly printed in the paper versions.

I wonder why that is?

Also, discussions of late have included the lack of time allowed to deal with things like rain sensors, lane departure cameras, and the like. It has been noted that on at least a few models, the labor time is the same whether the car was equipped with rain or condensation sensors and lane departure cameras.

We find this interesting because it is being noted that care, and time, is required to deal with some of these items, and notably so.

JMHNLO and, I can't wait to see if this post is deemed to be "spam" and not allowed...

MARK, I MUST AGREE WITH YOU THE DW1090/939 USED TO CALL FOR 5.5HOURS AND NOW CALLS FOR 2.5 HOURS, GRANTED OUR TOOLS HAVE COME A LONG WAY BUT A 3 HOUR DROP ISN'T RIGHT
OOPS sorry about the caps lock but I didn't want to retype the whole thing

DRGLASS
MARK, I MUST AGREE WITH YOU THE DW1090/939 USED TO CALL FOR 5.5HOURS AND NOW CALLS FOR 2.5 HOURS, GRANTED OUR TOOLS HAVE COME A LONG WAY BUT A 3 HOUR DROP ISN\'T RIGHT
OOPS sorry about the caps lock but I didn\'t want to retype the whole thing

Don't you guys remember the revaluation of NAGS in the late 90's, where they reduced the list prices by 33% and tried to give real labor times, (cough), to each part #?? Benchmark pricing?? As we all should know, the concept was to charge list price plus a reasonable hourly labor rate. Well as we all do know, that concept went out the window almost the moment that new list was issued.
Now let me ask you this simple question or two.
If you give your top installer an old Ford Bronco II and an old Ford Ranger to do tomorrow and those are all the jobs he has to do. Now take into consideration, it takes him 1/2 hour to get there and 1/2 hour to get back. If he leaves the shop at 8AM and does not return until 8PM, will he still be employed by you on Thursday????
By the way that is 5.5 hours times 2 or 11 hours to do the 2 windshields and an hour travel, 12 hours total.
Now give him the NEW 2.5 hours, he will return at 2PM, will he still be on the year end bonus list?? Or will be on the unemployment list??
Ooops...

Does anyone remember their first ford bronco? 2-4" of thane took 4 hrs just to get it out. Thaned all the way around the pinchweld and over the roof! YUK!

Ok I had a real bad one to start with.

But I have to go with Mark1 labor rates have been slowly diminishing just like all pricing.... do you think some entity is behind it?????? DUH!!!!!

You dumb sticks keep going lower until you can't even get beer money. SMART MOVE!

correct answer to the question, regardless of what Gary thinks..... YES labor rates are decreasing. Even a caveman can see it and doesn't need fancy software that doesn't really work or see the truth. nice going e direct!

If you petition the editor(s) and provide a good reason they can and will on occasion change a time. I have argued many parts and seen results. You just have to type a clear reason, put facts with it , and be polite.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com