AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sanding a chip

I have seen several technicians sand a chip down on a windshield they are putting in that day swearing it prevents the chip from splitting out. How does that work? I personally don't chance it and reschedule a job or go and get a glass that isn't damaged.

Re: Sanding a chip

Depends if the chip has a live run in it.

Sounds like a flunky move that Mygrant does around here. Why would you sell a damaged product that has a risk of breaking further?

xs
Sounds like a flunky move that Mygrant does around here. Why would you sell a damaged product that has a risk of breaking further?

Because they are more concerned with selling a product than selling a qaulity product. And it just seems sketchy to me, "live run" or not. I don't really see how widening the damage but evening it out would prevent it from cracking out. Seems kinda like if its gunna run while you are decking the glass or down the road you are kinda at the mercy of random chance at a certain point.

When i worked for the big b, we were told to sand them down. If we thought they might be ok, we were told to put them in. The philosophy was it was better to go back and do it again than letting another glass shop get it.

Ben
When i worked for the big b, we were told to sand them down. If we thought they might be ok, we were told to put them in. The philosophy was it was better to go back and do it again than letting another glass shop get it.

Aaaaah memory lane Ben.....

Glassguy
xs

Because they are more concerned with selling a product than selling a qaulity product. And it just seems sketchy to me,"live run" or not. I don't really see how widening the damage but evening it out would prevent it from cracking out.

Theory behind sanding glass of a "chip""clam" break is to actually sand down to the leg of crack so it doesn't get chance to run. I was told best to use a very narrow hand held belt sander?????

If it has a crack it will probably run.

A "clean" clamshell chip will most likely not run.

At least, that's my experience

Thank you IRA for a reasonable answer.

We used to "try" to run the chip, putting mare pressure on it than if it were just sitting in a car. If it did not run, it probably would not run. I put many a chipped windshield in my delivery vans and sales cars over the years to say that they did not crack from a clean clam shell chip.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com