AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Who's Liable ???!!!

Lady's driving , mirror falls off , freaked her out and she crashed into another car !
WHO'S LIABLE ?!

Re: Who\'s Liable ???!!!

A driver must maintain full control of its vehicle at all times!
Part 396
INSPECTION, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE
< 395 | 397 >
printer friendly version
§ 396.7: Unsafe operations forbidden.

(a) General. A motor vehicle shall not be operated in such a condition as to likely cause an accident or a breakdown of the vehicle.
(b) Exemption. Any motor vehicle discovered to be in an unsafe condition while being operated on the highway may be continued in operation only to the nearest place where repairs can safely be effected. Such operation shall be conducted only if it is less hazardous to the public than to permit the vehicle to remain on the highway.

Re: Who's Liable ???!!!

If you installed the windshield your the one who is liable. The lawyers will name you, the glass manufacturer, the adhesive manufacturer, the vehicle manufacturer, the driver of the other vehicle and the pizza joint on the corner.

ohm
Lady's driving , mirror falls off , freaked her out and she crashed into another car !
WHO'S LIABLE ?!

That is a good question, we buy from distributor that attaches said rear view buttons. the question is how good of a lawyer do they have? and how good is your lawyer, also how long has it been since you put the glass in? as it was said earlier the driver must have full control of there vehicle..

Re: Who\'s Liable ???!!!

The glass shop may be named in the suit but would be dismissed early on since we have know way of knowing if the manufacturer has done their job properly, weird thing is I had a lady tell me yesterday this happened to her a few years ago from another shop out on I-95 and she almost crashed, and that's why she came to us I actually defended them plus they went under 2 1/2 years ago. this happens way more than it should and the distributors should have to pay us time and labor for going back and doing their job, plus it makes us look bad.

when you are going back and doing the work of the manufacturer, are you then assuming the liability? If true we need to charge more for gluing brackets.

If I had to pin this on someone, I would have to name the manufacturer. We install not make the w/s.

? yup @ that point I will assume the liability because ours don't come back off.

ohm
WHO'S LIABLE ?!

I disagree with all of you. The issue is that the driver freaked out. The driver caused the accident. The driver did not maintain control over her vehicle

Re: Who\\\'s Liable ???!!!

Where I live and work it gets up to 115 degrees and mirror brackets come off all the time either oem or aftermarket, the heat magnifies through the glass how can you stop it. As for the lady who lost control of her car over it should not be driving as its not that big of a deal you should not wreck over it falling off it happens all the time even 80 year old ladies don't wreck over it around here

Re: Who\\\\\\\'s Liable ???!!!

Exactly DRGLASS

Re: Who\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Liable ???!!!

Do remember though, that these days when a mirror has "an off", it doesn't just fall off, lots of windscreens also are held on by a wire and may take a couple of good "swings" at the driver instead of just falling to the floor...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com