AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
jeep grand cherokee noise

Anyone having complaints of a vibrating air noise coming from
cowl on 12 grand cherokee, some have noise before replacement
and others get it after? Any fix?

Re: jeep grand cherokee noise

your tech most likely broke one of the cowl corners. there are 3 clips on it that hook in to the fender. they brake easiley if you are not carfeully. that would explain the vibration.

It may not be the cowl. The Mopar windshield comes with a diagram of the height of the urethane bead. If the windshield is set too low in the pichweld, wind noise is imminent. Same with most Dodge, Jeep, Chysler products. Wind will hit the windshield and then hit the pinchweld if set too low, causing a wind tunnel in the channel between the roofline and urethane bead. Because the glass is so thin, the consumer is going to hear noise. Set the glass a bit higher. Run a higher bead.

On some windshields, aftermarket and Mopar, the underside molding can fold up past the point where it is flush with the sheet metal. It sticks up in the air and catches air acting like a reed, makes a ****ing noise.

From the few I came across its the top molding that is not sitting on the glass straight. The air grabs it and a wonderful annoying noise you have. It seems unless it's Mopar the moldings are put on by blind people or in the dark. Nothing straight about them.

I have come across the problem on a couple of Mopar pieces as well. The moldings were put on too far out on the edge making them too wide. When they folded up they folded too far and stuck up. Decking to the proper height helps avoid this, if the windshield is set too deep it will make all of the underside molding sit wrong and catch air.

Ok- I have one of these now as well- I replaced with Mopar w/s and had the noise right out of the gate (followed the urethane height advice on the service bulletin too). Attempted a reseal, improved slightly but remained. Replaced the w/s again on Sept 3rd with another Mopar w/s- this time success! Until this past Friday (almost one month later) the noise is back. Moldings looked straight, especially on the windshield I last put in. Cowl seated good too. Anyone have any advice now that this topic has been out there a while longer now? Appreciate it-

We have had two of these where the cowl will vibrate against the windshield, ran 1/8 butyl along the edge of the cowl to fix the problem. If the glass is setting to low, the top will vibrate as well.

Any "fix" short of replacement on the top molding issue? I will be attempting a remedy tomorrow am, any other advice is appreciated. Urethane is decked well and height of glass where it sits in the opening is great as well- Hoping the cowl is ****ing. Not sure why it would start after a month... strange.

The noise is actually coming from the hood hinge, there is a very inexpensive replacement part, I will ask my co worker what they put in to fix the owners car...

Larry

Larry, is there a service bulletin on the hood hinge that you know of? I don't wanna keep putting windshields in this thing...

finding some other fix ideas here... washer fluid hose rattling on the hinge might be it.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/help-diagnose-rattle-near-dash-front-window-42166-2.html

The owner is not back until Monday, no there is no TSB our General Manager found this somehow after they jacked with the car for over a month.

larry

The body shop manager said that changing out the hood hinge bolts cured the problem... Hope this fixes it for you I know it sounds stupid... but...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com