AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tips on getting work (New Business)

Just started last week. Have a website, a truck with an 877 number, working with local dealership. I even walked around and put 200 business cards on cars with chips and cracks. Went to body shops as well.

So far, 2 jobs from friends and one from the dealership.No one has called. Any tips on getting this going?

Re: Tips on getting work (New Business)

Things take time. Pound the pavement and never just sit waiting. Sometimes it takes multi trips to shops ect. to get their speed dial to change.

You can't expect to start up and be top dog in a week.

Business is hard and there are dues to be paid. Most indys will tell you this.

Prayer and a strong will to survive is what you have for now so make the most of it, be strong and wait it out.

Where is your new business?

Depending on where you are, Business is extremely slow. Well that is unless you want to be a lowballer. In my area there are shops giving 70-80% discounts. I wont even come close to that. They wont stay in business long that way either. But thats what I have to compete against. I went from my shop having over 20 installs per day to maybe 2 or 3. I am basically semi retired now anyway so it doesnt hurt me to not have the business but I still wont discount like that. I use quality and reputation, They use severe discounting. If you want the insurance work you will have to play the game. Severe discounting, very low flat labor and alot of butt kissing. No thank you, I will do half the work and make twice as much.
Remember if you work smart you wont have to work nearly as hard. This industry is not what it used to be and really isnt even worth it anymore.
I hate to tell you this when you are a new start up but heck, The industry may turn around.

JV
Just started last week. Have a website, a truck with an 877 number, working with local dealership. I even walked around and put 200 business cards on cars with chips and cracks. Went to body shops as well.

So far, 2 jobs from friends and one from the dealership.No one has called. Any tips on getting this going?

Good luck, but I was told many years ago not to put flyers on cars. The car owner could come back after you claiming that YOU cracked or chipped the windshield. You do not want to be accused of being a C2C wanna B. Go around to ALL local businesses, including gas stations, repair shops, gas stations, used car lots etc. and most importantly insurance agents. Introduce yourself and let them know what you do and what makes you better than the rest. Do not offer more than you can deliver and do not bad mouth the competition.

Ooops..

Let me guess....the page in your "Do it yourself Business Plan" kit that asks you where you customers are going to come from was missing.

I'll buy that van from you in six weeks for 1/4 of what you paid for it so you can hire your bankruptcy lawyer.

Seriously, good luck. (I'm not kidding about the offer on the van)

DAG

Where is your new business?

Down the street from your shop

JV

We must break you!

COOL, WELCOME TO TOWN.

DAG
COOL, WELCOME TO TOWN.

Great comeback.......lol...........

Ooops
JV

Good luck, but I was told many years ago not to put flyers on cars. The car owner could come back after you claiming that YOU cracked or chipped the windshield. You do not want to be accused of being a C2C wanna B. Go around to ALL local businesses, including gas stations, repair shops, gas stations, used car lots etc. and most importantly insurance agents. Introduce yourself and let them know what you do and what makes you better than the rest. Do not offer more than you can deliver and do not bad mouth the competition.

Ooops..

SO TRUE!!! I had some asswipe take my flyer and smash a guys door out and threw my flyer in the car :( Jerks

that was me :)

You cant be afraid to put business cards or flyers on cars. If you are afraid to market yourself you will be closed in 180 days or less. A new glass business will not get customers unless it they are agressive getting business.

If you are counting on insurance agents (lol) you soon will learn that either they are prisoner's of the 1-800# or you will be behind a long line of people.

I just came across this form. I realize its 5 years old but I was wondering how things went for you? Are you still in business? Was it a success? I'm opening up next week.

Possibly could not afford to pay his wireless bill , or maybe he hit it big and retired already.

I liked the one about getting the car door smashed out with the business card thrown inside it!! Great for a chuckle and so true about people being anal about crap put on windshields this day and age. If your still willing to put flyers out on cars make sure you don't use colored paper because if it gets wet it will bleed the color paper onto the vehicle.

On a serious note we have found that if you give away a slingshot with every windshield replace it drives business for the whole glass community and you can always feel good about being a team player this way!!

very funny

10-15 years ago fliers on cars was more of a liability than now. Most major parking lots have security cameras.
I have been in business for 10 years and still struggle with marketing.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com