AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How do we get the exact part number of a windshield when using a VIN #?

The current software that my company currently uses (Edirect) provides multiple windshields to choose from when we input the VIN #. Mitchell is the same. The auto dealers have software that provide the exact windshield (auto glass) part number. DO you have to be an auto dealer to get that software? HELP!

Re: How do we get the exact part number of a windshield when using a VIN #?

Not every car dealer can decode to the exact part.

I don't think there is any magic bullet software other than eyeballs on the part. We've gotten incorrect info from dealers in the past. If it's 2 parts, order and send both then return the one you don't use. If it's more than that, it's best to put eyeballs on the part and explain the situation to the customer.

If you keep on calling the dealer to find out the part # and very rarely or never order the glass, they will stop giving you the info.
Ooops...

I know, we have had that happen too... Just looking for that Silver Bullet.

Agreed... Thanks

Mercedes and BMW can tell you what glass goes in there vehicles Jaguar is a joke. What you do is tell the parts person; My customer wants a factory w/s for there car and if we get the job we will call you. It's better than, hey stupid witch glass goes in this car. What you need to do is find a good parts person and stick with them. And they are hard to find.

I'll start by saying that there is no "non-dealer" databse avaiable that will tell you the type of windshield or the dealer windshield options of a vehicle, period. The ISO standards for the VIN have no place for vehicle glass type (color, accessories, etc.) so if we ever wanted that, a lot would have to change.

As for the dealer systems, only 40% of the factory installed windshield information can be found in a dealers system with the majority only being found in the luxury class.

The reality of it all is to get the customer to tell you as much as they can about their windshield. At the same time, you say you use eDirect, then you can have the customer take a picture of their glass and send it right to your account from what I understand. By doing this, you have a better perspective from which to triage the glass type.

I hope this helps.

I think the VIN tells the dealer the vehicle year, make. model and optional packages purchased. With this info the dealer can determine the glass part needed.

Best way for me is I get the VIN from the customer, call the dealer, they give me their dealer part #. I go back to my software which cross ref. the dealer part # with the nags. There ya go.

Wow way to dig up a super old post. PGW is working on something I think they are sick of sellig glass for it to just be retured... They want you to be able to decode it.. save them money from transporting the glass, breakage from moving it multiple times etc.

Eyes on really is the best source. In my town, Mercedes is the worst in getting good info. Toyota and Lexus when getting glass also has codes that affirm certain options.
Finding a patient parts guy is a real asset. Honda and Porsche can be a pain without one.
Still eyes on, along with some basic knowledge of the vehicle helps. If a vehicle has heated seats and/or outside mirrors good chance the windshield is heated.

I have not yet found an app that is worth the cost that provides the kind of help a small to medium size shop needs.

The IGA has a member benefit called OE Part Verify that will allow you to see the right parts to choose. In addition, members also get the use of SwiftVIN that allows them to enter a license plate number to retrieve the VIN and vehicle information.

Outside of IGA membership, if you are an eDirectGlass customer, you also have these features in your Total Shop Management account.

Gary Hart
The IGA has a member benefit called OE Part Verify that will allow you to see the right parts to choose. In addition, members also get the use of SwiftVIN that allows them to enter a license plate number to retrieve the VIN and vehicle information.

Outside of IGA membership, if you are an eDirectGlass customer, you also have these features in your Total Shop Management account.

Uh hold up, the OP said that Edirect did not decode down to the part just Parts. Please clarify

The OP was over two years ago. eDG put out a press release back at the beginning of the year about this and it does. If you look on the other forum or if you get the IGA electronic newsletter, you'll see the link to the video to see OE Part Verify.

well hell that is worth it to get then just for the decode.

Larry

While OE Part Verify is a huge benefit, so is SiwftVIN. The IGA really has the tools and benefits that help independent glass retailers make more money and be more efficient.

Just watched the demo, looks good .

Gary Hart
Larry

While OE Part Verify is a huge benefit, so is SiwftVIN. The IGA really has the tools and benefits that help independent glass retailers make more money and be more efficient.

Gary,

What the heck is SiwftVIN ?

Larry

SwiftVIN allows you to enter a license plate number and get the VIN.

Hey since we are talking about this vin decode, can it decode a tranist?? the 15's???????????

Larry
Hey since we are talking about this vin decode, can it decode a tranist?? the 15's???????????

Do you have the VIN or License plate you can email me directly?

sure I think i got your email i will do.

E direct has available companion software to assist in decoding VINS. I am being told it is about 85% accurate. Typically we call the dealers now, and they are about 95% accurate.

OldGlassMan
E direct has available companion software to assist in decoding VINS. I am being told it is about 85% accurate. Typically we call the dealers now, and they are about 95% accurate.

And when you are calling the dealership, a typical shop spends 30 hours per month to complete this task. In addition, you have to get the VIN from the customer which is a problem in itself; however, with SwiftVIN by eDG, all you have to get is the license plate number.

Gary, we have used Quest for almost 20 yrs and do not want to switch, can we install/purchase EDG separately? Thx

Dave
Gary, we have used Quest for almost 20 yrs and do not want to switch, can we install/purchase EDG separately? Thx

Dave,

Your best bet is to join the IGA as you get these and other features of eDG included with your annual membership.

Gary

Somehow I stumbled into this old thread, but what you are asking for is RightGlass - You just enter a VIN and if the vehicle is in the RightGlass database it'll return a list of the NAGS and OEM windshields and highlight the exact part that goes with that vehicle.

Wow "somehow" you found this old post huh?

Nice marketing ploy...but actually thanks if all else fails at least a guy can pay $5.00 and figure out the correct part.

Right Glass is awesome

I have tried 3 times and this feature does not work.

What were the VINs that you tried?

I don't have issues?

What software do you use?

GlassMan
The current software that my company currently uses (Edirect) provides multiple windshields to choose from when we input the VIN #. Mitchell is the same. The auto dealers have software that provide the exact windshield (auto glass) part number. DO you have to be an auto dealer to get that software? HELP!
VITE VITRES JACQUES
IN MONTREAL
NEED TO HAVE QUAT AND 1 ONTH FREE TRAIL
514 733 9797

What software do you use that cross references the dealer number with nags #?

I always imagine Gary n Larry sitting in a hotel somewhere ....each with their laptops out.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com