AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Slavelite Glass Installer Class Action LawSuit

Just read article from glassbyte.Auto Glass Installer looking to get class action lawsuit going to collect money from working thru lunch and ot.As all Slavelite technician know.Every technician has worked thru their lunch at some point in their career and not have goton paid for it back in the past pre kronis and blackberry era.Now is the time to get paid for what you have been ripped off for.Perez is represented by the law firm of Kingsley and Kingsley APC in Encino, Calif. At press time, the court had not yet responded to the petition for leave to appeal.Help the guy and yourself now.

Re: Slavelite Glass Installer Class Action LawSuit

Could this be another Walmart fiasco in the works.If this ball could really get rolling big bad Belron will soon discover that this isnt europe, but AMERICA and for sum the payout could be big.

I worked for them a long time ago and always HAD to work thru lunch and had to eat while driving to the next stop. Not only that I was forced to work overtime almost every day. I remember one time when I was in the Phoenix office I had just gotten done doing my route of 12 stops, Got back at 6pm. We were not allowed to take vans home at the time. We only had one car and my wife was waiting for me with my daughter who was 3 weeks old in the waiting room. So I get back to find my manager standing there with 5 or 6 more jobs that HAD to be done that night at the auction. He didnt care my wife and kid were waiting, He wanted them done and if I didnt do it I was fired. Oh well, I started work at Vistar 2 days later. Only to be back at Safelite 2 years later when they bought Vistar, UGH........

The payout wont be big for any individual, that's why they're fighting to make it a class action case. Without the class status the litigation costs will outweigh the potential reward.

I wonder, from a legal standpoint, if their PPP program offsets any of their liability? Can they successfully argue that the techs chose to skip lunch to try and maximize their PPP and by doing so they were compensated for their time through their PPP payout? Interesting...

Hillbillie, what Vistar store did you work at? Cave Creek, Glendale or the Mesa store.

Being a former DM & store Manager,we abused the Techs because we could. I was at meetings listening to vp's tell us if they don't like it, f**k em. We are the biggest and were will they go. Bel deserves all the lawsuits comming there way.I was so disgusted I had to save my reputation and get out of the retail side. Americans just need the education to not support this Belgian power house that needs to crumble. Way to go Joseph Perez & good luck in your law suit.

As all class action suits seem to benefit only the lawyers. I purchased a car and was charged an $85 doc fee, in a class action suit I got a free pair of wiper blades if I wanted to go to the dealer to get them. lol
the lawyers made thousands

But does it end the alleged practice of what the class action suit is for?

I worked out of Mesa and the Mgr was Kevin Ice when I was there back in the 90's. I think there was a dude from Michigan (forget his name) and a dude named Rocky. I remember him having a heart attack in his van one day because he overworked in the 120 degree heat.

It ain't nothing without DOCOMENTATION.And do I ever have it.Before the Kronis and punching in and out on the phone we had to punch in and out thru the GTS.Ive caught my manager fixing me lunch and punch out times.The have the actual time sheets.Before and after showing the adjustments.Working thru lunch was a Norm.They used to book jobs right thru our lunch in the shop and on the road we would get handed 7-8 jobs and expect us to get back by 4.30pm.We didnt have van commuting privileges back then.

The DM of the Northeast said in a meeting that I didnt pick this career path.If they dont like it.Then quit.

I can tell alot of stories about the north east. I worked for Safelite on Long Island for a long time. The clicks they had and the 2 brothers would play with their time sheets to get their UADs up. Yeah, How trhey would have them clock out at noon and work the day off the clock to get their UAD up, And their PPP scams so they got their pay up. Nope, Never liked the Commack DCC but my manager in Riverhead was a good guy. We had a good team out there.

I had been in management 20 years before I started my own shop and techs or installers as we use to call them have been crying about this forever they have alot of freedom out thier on the road they stop at the bank they run into k-mart etc. they waste more time a day than what they would get for lunch, or they drive 20 minutes out of the way to eat then think they get to sit thier for an hour then drive another 20 minutes back well that's an hour and forty minutes. or they come in in the morning and eat thier mcdonalds go to the bathroom shoot the breeze with the other guys leave about 8:30 but none of these things count because they did'nt stop at noon for an hour.stop you're crying or go do something else where you work continous until break time or lunch time then you will miss the freedom you had on the road.

I forgot to mention if a tech gets his work done and does a good job I don't care if he runs a few errands or if your done a little early go home thier will be times you have to work a little late. treat people fair and hope in return thier fair to you.

r. browning glass express beaufort
I had been in management 20 years before I started my own shop and techs or installers as we use to call them have been crying about this forever they have alot of freedom out thier on the road they stop at the bank they run into k-mart etc. they waste more time a day than what they would get for lunch, or they drive 20 minutes out of the way to eat then think they get to sit thier for an hour then drive another 20 minutes back well that's an hour and forty minutes. or they come in in the morning and eat thier mcdonalds go to the bathroom shoot the breeze with the other guys leave about 8:30 but none of these things count because they did'nt stop at noon for an hour.stop you're crying or go do something else where you work continous until break time or lunch time then you will miss the freedom you had on the road.

Well your opinion really doesnt matter. There are labor laws. If the techs worked through their lunch and didnt get paid, then Big Bad Slavelite broke the law, and they will pay for it through a class action law suit. I am sure many current and former Slavelite employees will jump on board, as they should.

Lunch lol who gets lunch? I have been told by every company that I ever worked for that noone in the auto glass industry gets lunch. I am talking about family businesses and larger corps too. It's about time someone did something about it. But to be honest I HAVE FOUND SAFELITE TO BE ONE OF THE BEST making sure you take your lunch so why pick on them? Simply stop and take a lunch. The lawyers are the only ones that will get lunch money, if ya know what I mean

If you during lunch without stopping, you deserve to be paid.
Simple as that, no more no less.

PLK
Lunch lol who gets lunch? I have been told by every company that I ever worked for that noone in the auto glass industry gets lunch. I am talking about family businesses and larger corps too. It's about time someone did something about it. But to be honest I HAVE FOUND SAFELITE TO BE ONE OF THE BEST making sure you take your lunch so why pick on them? Simply stop and take a lunch. The lawyers are the only ones that will get lunch money, if ya know what I mean

No Safelite is the best in covering their A$$ when installers works thru their lunch and not get paid for it.Ive known installers that get told that you need to keep the hours low and units high.They get written up for low UAD and CSI scores.

I believe the real issue is when your employee decides to work through his entitled lunch break. If he does, he should be paid for that time. If he chooses to take that 30-60 minute break... it's not a paid expense by employer.

If any of my guys grab a quick burger at McDonald's and eat during driving route...that's is not a lunch break and no time will be ducted from their check.

In the state of NJ we are entittled a 15 min paid break for every 4 worked hours and a least a 30 min lunch break unpaid.So when they hand you 4 jobs between 8-12 and then another 4 between 1-5.between drivetime,actual install,detailing the entire car,invoicing,customer interactions.Where do you have the time to take your time?

At Slavelite the installer doesnt have a choice most of the time.they are cohearsed into working thru.

I worked at a location that management set up the GTS at the time to remove an hour from your lunch a day and we had 8 jobs handed to us.And we was Union.Local 88 did nothing about it for us.The Location manager was at fault.

In the auto glass industry in my experience, you have a certain amount of jobs to do whether you eat lunch or not. You can stop and have lunch, or make it home in time to have dinner with your family, or pick up your kids, thus most of us never eat lunch. If I was told I had to take a lunch, and it was getting automatically deducted from my pay, I would still skip it in order to finish at a reasonable hour. I guess that's how they get you, and what the safelite techs are complaining about. They are told they have to take lunch, it's the law, but can't go home til their 10 jobs are done.

hey scott if my opinion dos'ent matter what make syou think yours does.bottom line is most techs waste a butt load of time each day.I have to have five good clean jobs a day from a tech to warrant his employ I don't care how many breaks he takes or when he eats as long as I get five good clean jobs in eight hours with resonable drive time. unfair I don't think so.

Kevin Ice also had heart attack a few years ago.

Man, Really?? Is he ok? He was always good to me when I worked there. I also worked with Brad Prince back in the day too. Is he still around? Heck, Brad had to deal with me when I was still a rookie. He gave me a chance when I was young and starting a family. It ended up a good career for me.

I THINK YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE BY SUING EVERYONE YOUR WHOLE LIFE

Hmm, Is that comment for me? If so, You got the wrong guy. Now dont get me wrong, I'd sue in a heartbeat if someone damages my family or business. After all, Thats what the courts are for.
The guy in this thread who is sueing is doing so for the right reasons. As long as he was doing his job he should be paid justly. honest days work for an honest days pay.

Brad Prince is now a Farmer's insurance agent I believe. Brad was always a fair guy. Hope he is doing well.

E mail me copies of those time sheets and I can hook you up with a great Law Firm that will compensate you for your injustice.Or just contact the law firm in CA.I hate to see good hard working people get taken advantage of.

Oh boy my B.S. detector is burning up. You were not a DM and your story is dog doo

Belron is a great company to work for depending on which side of the Atlantic you be. We hear Carglass Europe has 100% union participation in some European countries. Great pay and benefits like five weeks paid vacation first year on the job. If they didn't keep you isolated from your Euro buddies, you would know this.

Braveheart
Oh boy my B.S. detector is burning up. You were not a DM and your story is dog doo

Another Slavelite drone in effect.

Braveheart

Its burning up because you are near it or holding it in your hand

Waa Waa Waa

Braveheart
Waa Waa Waa

You know the exact noise the detector makes huh???WOW

Frog
Belron is a great company to work for depending on which side of the Atlantic you be. We hear Carglass Europe has 100% union participation in some European countries. Great pay and benefits like five weeks paid vacation first year on the job. If they didn't keep you isolated from your Euro buddies, you would know this.

EXACTLY why a union would help the workers here.
Thank you for making the point.

Just called and we need more exsafelite techs to call to get the big pay day$$$

DL=BraveHeart

I worked for Slavelite for 5 years. How do you do 8-10 jobs, drive 120-150 miles, eat lunch and be home before 7 oclock all in 1 day? Answer= You dont!

Join the rest of us and finally get paid for the injustice that was done to u.5 years with no lunch and OT means at least 10k in ur pocket.

tell me about it i filed with the labor board they falsied docs lied and won . There you go

There is no lunch in the auto glass industry ...period

10K. You are dreaming unless you are one of the lawyers. I got notice the other day about a class action. I will quote 2 sentences from it:

IF THE COURT GIVES FINAL APPROVAL, THIS SETTLEMENT WILL AWARD YOU AN ESTIMATED $10 IN CASH, PLUS OTHER BENEFITS.

has agreed not to oppose Class Counsel’s request for attorneys’ fees of $1,050,000.00, plus costs.

You are clueless if you think that these petty numbers will affect a Billion (with a B) $ company. They will write a check and move on. Like someone else said, you are just looking for a free lunch. HEY... Thats ironic, now you will have $10 to get it!!!! Mission accomplished.

How do you WORK through lunch and not get paid? If you're on PPP and installing you get paid even if they dock the 30 minutes. PPP is a game not easily understood by many. Maybe I'm one of those.
Seems like if anything would happen it's the fed law on break times. That fine wouldn't pay any installer...

even with the blackberry you are still working through lunch when you have so many repairs.

TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUNKSLAMMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked a long time ago with the Slavelite crew...I worked for several shops and was handed 8 jobs a day in which my back suffered now i am so retired but my back still KILLS ME to this day...I am serious about a class action law suit or compensation from overtime worked and never paid...too many times the stress level was too much for me and my heart gave it up...By the time I got it stopped with medication a good year later and they already gave me severance pay and shipped me outta there...I tried to go back to work BUT was totally ignored...So I suffered the pleight of loosing it ALL TO THE Belron Corp and and applied for SSDI and after a bit over 2 years got it...I appreciate this information here...I am now in CA after leaving Phx AZ...The shops in question are Glendale PUSHED IT WAY beyond too much...no OVERTIME I refused to drive and eat at the same time...TOO DANGERIOUS...I have so much more...I left there late 90's Bad Heart stressed out and Back GONE TO PLUTO !!! ALSO...I was forced to leave JUST BEFORE THE HELPER ARM CAME INTO BEING to set the windshields...They KNOW how HARD it is for the single insteller to correctly set the W/S by his self...!!!!

Maybe I am too late after all...I saw the dates for the suits in 2011...crap...

PLK
As all class action suits seem to benefit only the lawyers. I purchased a car and was charged an $85 doc fee, in a class action suit I got a free pair of wiper blades if I wanted to go to the dealer to get them. lol
the lawyers made thousands
That's always the case, the lawyers will collect hundreds of thousands and possibly millions while techs will get at most a few hundred bucks.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com