AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2011 Honda odyssey side molding clips

Has anyone had any success in removing the side moldings without breaking all the blue body side clips?

Re: 2011 Honda odyssey side molding clips

the honda pilot also has the same side molding and clips

You think those are bad, wait till you see the Hyundai Genesis. The clips on these only come with a new molding that you have to get painted to match.

I have done the 2011 Odyssey twice broke all the body side clips twice.$$$$
I found this tool on equalizer web will be ordering on Monday hopping it will do the job.
https://www.equalizerfusion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?QString=E3yI2TZ9zcZejcS0VXeUb9zBWGQY8JfJL7Vm7W/ZjIKqsrLHimlA+vipqNQJFFLJ

Just use the clips in a tube Fools

Oh come on, the Genesis is not bad, sedan or coupe! Just take your time, because if you don't and it shows up at one of my dealers with a problem you will be buying new mouldings, painted at a body shop, my labor and mostlikely a new glass.
Just take your time on the Genesis mouldings and look at what you are doing instead of just prying them off.

Hyundai Opinion
Oh come on, the Genesis is not bad, sedan or coupe! Just take your time, because if you don't and it shows up at one of my dealers with a problem you will be buying new mouldings, painted at a body shop, my labor and mostlikely a new glass.
Just take your time on the Genesis mouldings and look at what you are doing instead of just prying them off.

Sounds like you've had some experience with them. Rather than just say "take your time" OR ELSE, why not share whatever information you have so we can avoid problems with these?

You dont need the clips when you break them. Just prime all the leftover parts u have including the bottom side of the molding and glue it to the glass/metal. It sticks better this way than the original clips

These clips do break most of the time, in fact there is a bulletin on them for falling off and what is needed to fix them. To do these correctly you need the clips and a special epoxy to adhere them. The epoxy is 3m dp100. You need to buy the applicator gun and a bag of mixing nozzles. The epoxy will last you a long time, just make sure to get plenty of nozzles. You should not use urethane or any other adhesive on these per Honda or you may experience a win noise as the urethane is not as rigid. Total cost for applicator, nozzles and epoxy will run about $80 and last for alot of cars. This is the same for accord.

Was wondering about that. Got new clips for one and they had hardened bluish glue on the back w/ no instructions on how to soften the glue to affix to the body, I ended up plastic priming them and urethaning them on. Don't know what was wrong with sliding them onto a rivet on the body like the 2351 style. $$ I guess.

Where can this bulletin be found for the 2011-13 Honda Odyssey's? I have been scouring the internet and cannot find it.
I accidentally broke my windshield trying to remove the windshield wiper arms today. I did not realize I was prying against the glass under the arm.
Next all the clips broke removing the side trims and it appears they are epoxied in.
I need to know the best way to fix this.
Also, do I reuse the top molding?

I hate to pay someone to install this, because I don't want them installing it improperly by just gooping in urethane...

Try the Auto & Flat Glass Journal, they used to feature a vehicle each month. They may have featured that one.

these are soooo easy. start at the top and pry easily up then take your (arrow) moulding tool and pry out on the body clip at the center of the body clip very carefull and the whole thing stays put. never break them here. But the pilot is not the same clip, those break........

Not so easy, if you don't know what is under there the first time and there is no way to know until you pry around.

I am not a glass installer, so I had no way to know what to expect. I thought it would pop off like all the other trim on the car...

I ordered new clips. The only info I can find is here and I was hoping for something from Honda on how to attach the new clips. Otherwise I am just going to use the 3M epoxy recommended here.

Got the bulletin from the dealer. It says 2010 Odyssey, but it should be the same for the 2011-13 as far as how it is done and what is used......

Bulletin:
http://www.filedropper.com/a09-051

I use a 90 deg pick (mine's from snap On) to release clip with a good success rate. Start at top and apply gentle pressure inward to expose clip and use the pick to release clip from glass side. Many times I can free moldings without any casualties. Haven't lost more than two in a while. (Yes, I have spare clips that I secure with a combo of double sided tape and uri)

This is from the Honda Service Manual.

3M Scotch-Weld DP-100 NS Adhesive is supplied in a dual syringe plastic Duo-Pak cartridge as part of the 3M Scotch-Weld EPX Applicator system.

Insert the Duo-Pak cartridge into the Duramix applicator gun.

Using light pressure on the trigger, start the plunger into the cylinders.

Remove the Duo-Pak cartridge cap; expel a small amount of adhesive, making sure both sides of the Duo-Pak cartridges are flowing evenly and freely.

Attach the EPX mixing nozzle to the Duo-Pak cartridge.

Begin dispensing the adhesive.

Clean the retainer (A) bonding surface with isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry, then apply an even coat of adhesive (B) to the bonding surface of the retainer.

Position the retainers (A) with the alignment marks (B) on the A-pillar.

Press the retainer onto the body, and let the adhesive harden for 30 minutes before installing the windshield side trim. The adhesive reaches maximum hardness after 24 hours.

I sort of like using double back tape on the ends of the new clip and uri in the middle. Haven't had an issue with that method

you guys cant seriously still be having problems with this rite?
its rare to break these things

Realized on the last one I did, "why am a breaking the molding retainer clips by attempting to remove them like the older oddyseys and then gluing on new clips?" Since they are just glued on anyway, I now just separate the clips from the body with a sharpened putty knife and mallet, and leave them attached to the molding. Then you can reattach them to the body with your adhesive of choice, and no need for new ones. It was pretty warm, however,and the clip adhesive was soft. In colder weather i'm not sure if the clips would crack when you tried to cut through the adhesive w/ the putty knife.

I've had great success removing these types of Honda moldings without any damage to the clip, molding, windshield, or paint. Simply mask off the a-pillar along the molding edge, use a fiber stick or plastic pry tool to gently open gap between molding and pillar, locate the fingers of the body clip with a pocket screwdriver and push them towards windshield. This will easily unhook molding from clip as moldings are made of flexible plastic there is little danger of damage. You will want to push the clasp fingers "for lack of a better term" of the clip back into place after the molding is released for install. No need to bond anything, the molding will lock back into the clip just like factory every time

I haven't had much luck taking them off. We just order a new set of GGG clips from PGW, Pilk, or Mygrant, and replace them. The previous body style was no problem. Honda is getting cheap of it's clips.

Mike had it right, only post here that knows how to do it. The Genesis mldgs come off easy too, just put a tool between the mldg and post at the spot of the clip and push the tool toward the center of the w/s, and they release

pro
Mike had it right, only post here that knows how to do it. The Genesis mldgs come off easy too, just put a tool between the mldg and post at the spot of the clip and push the tool toward the center of the w/s, and they release
I don't understand the problem, it's difficult to explain Finesse.Very simple procedure if you approach it the right way there's no problem.

herschel
Was wondering about that. Got new clips for one and they had hardened bluish glue on the back w/ no instructions on how to soften the glue to affix to the body, Does anyone know how to soften that glue or what has to be done?
I see everybody asking but no one has an answer and there's got to be someone who has dealt with this before.

If using GGG replacement clips we have found this procedure to be the best.

Clean the pinch weld area where you will be placing the clips. (leave no residue)

With a heat gun, heat the glue on the clips until soft - then carefully heat the area on the pinch weld where you will be placing the clips.

Press the clips onto the pinch weld and hold in place till adhesive is firm.

Wear gloves so you do not heat your hands or use an extended device to hold the clip.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Mark.

I learned this technique from a friend of mine. it takes time and one rarely breaks a clip.

I get a small 90 deg pick (Snap-on sells them) and start at the bottom of Odyssey molding. With a little pressure push molding away from body and position pick behind the blue finger of clip, there are 3 per clip I believe. With point of pick, push finger under the plastic bar of the molding which releases it. (going toward you)

We buddy up on several vehicles and saw him do that with great success. I carry replacement clips for Pilots and Odysseys but rarely need them.

However if one is replacing the back glass of the newer Odysseys, be very prepared to buy replacement clips for the 3 sided surround trim that it has.

jevs
Where can this bulletin be found for the 2011-13 Honda Odyssey's? I have been scouring the internet and cannot find it.
I accidentally broke my windshield trying to remove the windshield wiper arms today. I did not realize I was prying against the glass under the arm.
Next all the clips broke removing the side trims and it appears they are epoxied in.
I need to know the best way to fix this.
Also, do I reuse the top molding?

I hate to pay someone to install this, because I don't want them installing it improperly by just gooping in urethane...

send me your addy and I will mail you some. You will need Epoxy though

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com