AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Freightliner Cascadia

We picked up another fleet that runs Cascadias. I have seen many websites talking about how big of a problem leaky windshields are on this vehicle, but we are even seeing vehicles with factory windshields and seals leaking. One of which the gasket just pulled right off the body with little resistance.

For starters, it is not a great design having a gasket set urethane to the body.

As with most trucking companies, as soon as they get shields replaced they have drivers waiting around, ready to jump in the rig and take off. I think to eliminate any problems, the truck should set at least 4-5 hours before driving even with a high viscosity fast cure urethane if the gasket needs to be glued back to the body (as in alot of cases). Of course if is just a simple windshield replacement and no gasket work needed they are safe to go right after the windshield is locked in the gasket.

Do any of you guys deal with these trucks on a consistent basis? Have any issues?

Re: Freightliner Cascadia

I have an account with about 6 of these and I like doing them and have had zero problems with them, I will say, This company said they were not going to get anymore of them because they were full of problems, (Not because of the windshields)...

KW had problems with that from 2006-2009ish with the W900s.. some college grad engineer with no real world experience as with most things these days...

Make sure you use primers on everything.Glass,gasket and chassis.Also use Freightliner updated gasket.Use ASAP or any 1 hour cure type urethane.Let truck sit at least to the urethane manufacturer specs.These trucks are such CRAP

xs is right, primer everthing. I have uesd both the upgraded gasket and the old one that pulled right off. As long as you primer and let it sit you'll be fine. Or, you can just listen to EVERYTHING xs says.

If it does fail.At least you tried everything and did everything correct.........

Safelite has a bullentin out on this.

Help Wanted - Saint Lous, MO **Super Special tech Wanted**
Safelite has a bullentin out on this.

No Freightliner does

There is a chemical that is recommended for the gasket. We do a large fleet that has these. There is a bulletin from freightliner on them but Sika knows all about it. We put them back in with a new gasket which comes free from freightliner use the chemical, prime everything, and use asap. Never had one leak or come out afterwards. Its a big job because both windshields and the gasket has to go in at the same time alltogether. There is a jig available from freightliner but we don't use it.

novusguy
xs is right, primer everthing. I have uesd both the upgraded gasket and the old one that pulled right off. As long as you primer and let it sit you'll be fine. Or, you can just listen to EVERYTHING xs says.

Re: Freightliner Cascadia/ glue in gasket set

KW had a bulletin to use Bostik adhesive, it is a railroad adhesive. It is expensive and hard to find,but it did seem to work better than automotive adhesives.

how are you keeping the the unit together during installation. gasket to glass ?

We do these a lot and the problem is that the gasket separates from the urethane or the urethane is releasing from the body. We go in and replace the gasket. It's a pain because it all has to be assembled off the truck and put in as a single unit. Talking to the companies we deal with, the trucks are not that great, but they'd rather have them than an International.

Buy a new gasket, remove the windshields and assemble the whole setup on a bench/stand. We use a total of 8 suction cups and 2 techs to do this. Remove all the old gasket and urethane from the truck. Reassemble as a single unit.

We place Veribors/double ended suction cups on the glass, straddling the two windshields. 1 set inside and 1 outside. That keeps the glass together during reassembly. Be careful not to separate them once the setup is assembled.

Re: Freightliner Cascadia windshield leak

I have received a 2018 cascadia but is the 2017 model. Right away during rain or snow storms it leaks severly bad across the whole window, but the difference here is its salt water from the road. Ive had this truck one week and salt water has shorted out my city horn and my windshield washer motor (which burnt out .)
Has anyone else run across this problem? It must be coming in from the top of the rear of the cab. Pls advise solution. Thanks

If you would just use the proset this would never happen. When will you learn?

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER SETTING TOOLS THAT WORK EXTREMELY WELL. I'D LOVE TO SEE A PROSET SET A 2 PIECE WINDSHIELD WITH 1 TECH. COME ON TROLL..... GET THE **** OFF MY LAWN WITH YOUR SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. MAYBE YOU CAN MARKET THE PROSET AS A CABLE TV ANTENNA WHILE YOUR AT IT. MAYBE ANOTHER GO FUND ME CAMPAIGN WILL HELP....

CPT. OBVIOUS
THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER SETTING TOOLS THAT WORK EXTREMELY WELL. I'D LOVE TO SEE A PROSET SET A 2 PIECE WINDSHIELD WITH 1 TECH. COME ON TROLL..... GET THE **** OFF MY LAWN WITH YOUR SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. MAYBE YOU CAN MARKET THE PROSET AS A CABLE TV ANTENNA WHILE YOUR AT IT. MAYBE ANOTHER GO FUND ME CAMPAIGN WILL HELP....
Best reply Ever.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com