AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
tex

hey tex we need to have some beers man.1302 1303 with a scraper lol lol! and you hit the nail on the head with the five am crap,I get that crap 3 or 4 times a week it sucks.The insured calls in and is told a time frame then the tech does a call ahead and tells them the real world deal.The poor tech gets set up for a detractor or the new score of GOOD!!!!!1 anyway I guess I'm not alone out there!! take care man! I hope you get a high ic $$ next month for the customers that are not two faced *****es.

Re: Safelite- No more long knives

yea put the long knife under the hood of the van ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Well said, I hope it happens. I hate to see people do nothing but kiss butt

Safelite has now said that the ezwire tool is to be used on all vehicles or you can hand wire them out they also use fiber wire as well

Thanks for commenting on this three year old thread....NOT

Re: tater

It really was a good place to work a few years ago. But not so much anymore! The goal is to use Belron tools only!!!! And no, new guys will not be able to get a job else where without being retrained. The only thing you will be to offer another company is your glue shooting skills. And if the tool is so great why are they buying cars from Thrifty that the Wire is cutting the pinchweld off of? I know most of you think you have the ultimate job at the greatest company ever. The best advice I can give you is ask everyone that you know that has been there for a long time how many people they know that has retired from the company. The rest should be self explanatory for you with your safe life!

poor brain washed self
It really was a good place to work a few years ago. But not so much anymore! The goal is to use Belron tools only!!!! And no, new guys will not be able to get a job else where without being retrained. The only thing you will be to offer another company is your glue shooting skills. And if the tool is so great why are they buying cars from Thrifty that the Wire is cutting the pinchweld off of? I know most of you think you have the ultimate job at the greatest company ever. The best advice I can give you is ask everyone that you know that has been there for a long time how many people they know that has retired from the company. The rest should be self explanatory for you with your safe life!

My Friend that works in shop , says that they are no longer allowed to order wire, they have to order the fiber wire stuff...

who knows like another poster said this is a 5 year old thread....

I watched an older SL installer destroy a Kia a few months ago. He used a cold knife first with glass and stuff flying everywhere. Then he got his extractor out and butchered it some more. Unbelievable. I don't believe these "wire only" stories. If they're true a lot of installers are using other methods when no one is watching.

In my market its fiber line only. Our old glass is checked in the mornings by our manager to make sure we aren't using illegal tools. 5 people got suspended last week for using a cold knife.

it's a technique you learn, just like every other aspect of the job. I was proficient trimming with a pipe knife. However, I'm also proficient using the different sized scrapers.
I prefer using a scraper to trim urethane anyway.
I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of change. Things change, you'll get use to it and become efficient.

And you will be using your newly acquired skills as a Walmart greeter soon. Sorry.

You know, you have to give some credit to Big S, trying to curtail some of the very unsafe practices that a good number of their "old" techs used, problem is like any large company they aren't very good at implementing something where it is needed, rather just making encompassing company wide changes, thus negatively impacting tech/persons that did things right. Also, it is not lost on me that the company was the culprit in creating those glass "hacks" in the first place by loading techs with more then they could handle and forcing the tech to find shortcuts and "hack" techniques in order to get the jobs done. I'm still concerned with the idea that I believe they still talk out of both sides of their mouth, they want you to do the jobs safe and by the book to protect themselves, however, the individual store managers still want the numbers turned as that is how they bonus or "look" good to upper management. In my experience the underlying problem is still there, only now they try to cover it up by attempting to make people believe they hold their techs to a higher standard.

And responding to the person that said they suspended 5 techs at one time, that seems interesting that a location would have enough techs to cover for laying off 5 at once. Either that or they didn't have any work anyways, and it was a way to not pay someone for a period of time.

Anyway just my two cents.

that is hilarious " Wal-Mart greeter" how long did it take to think of that one.
let's go back to the circle jerk. " god I hate my life and it's all because of big S. I have no accountability for my life or change. I'm a prisoner. no one understands how hard this is. I hate change! everyone is a **** installer except for me. there is only one way to do this job and if you don't do it like me, you are a hack. boooooo....wahhhhh.....sniffle, sniffle.....Wal-Mart.....Mc donalds....I'm better than those people at least"

5 techs in a market of almost 300 is not a big loss to set an example

How long have you been with SL? How many more do you think they'll keep you around before you're used up? I've been making good money in auto glass for almost 40 years.. I've seen it all and heard it all, and my guess is you'll be gone when you least expect it.

hmm
Was told starting tomorrow we are no longer allowed to be using long knives (company wide). Just a lil scraper to get the glue off... If caught we will be terminated. But yet we are still allowed to use the extractor and fein tool....Makes total sense.

Belron banned the long knife and the cold knife (pull knife) here in England about 2 years ago .
Seen some horrific **** ups with there ezi wire , just had a Nissan van in 1 of my body shops that had the bulk head cut through .
Like any tool in the wrong hands its gonna cause damage , but never seen a long knife cut through 28 inches of metal !

And how can you remove quarter glasses in body shops with wire and leave all the locators on the glass .
I think they should just train there staff better and remove the bonus system , pay decent wages and there techs won't run around like Zorro and slash everything in a rush !

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com