AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Safelite- No more long knives

Was told starting tomorrow we are no longer allowed to be using long knives (company wide). Just a lil scraper to get the glue off... If caught we will be terminated. But yet we are still allowed to use the extractor and fein tool....Makes total sense.

Re: Safelite- No more long knives

inaccurate.

DL what is accurate? I tell you what when I see a tech cutting down urethane with a long knife i cringe, i use a small Stanley knife..

I don't disagree, but for the sake of this thread, the statement made isn't accurate across the US. Anyone unsure should check with their manager.

then they are feeding us misleading information. becuase this is what we were told.

So what's the big deal?

Long knives are being banned in that market when the technicians are certified,trained and issued a ez-wire windshield removal system.Windshields must be installed using the lil buddy and urethane on the glass.The scrapers are to prevent Safelite technicians from causing dameage to interiors and vehicle and to encourage the removal of the cowls,because the ez-wire system requires that you remove the cowl.

I've seen members of the "National training team" use these scrapers and they leave something to be desired to say the least. It's a sloppy cut-down that leaves flaps and chunky patches. Yes it will create less injuries, but it will create MORE casualties. Cut down a old fw641, or better yet a 1302/1303 with a scraper and see how long your there for. I understand the innovation they are trying to make the standard, but everything they want slows the job down. Pre inspection by safelite standards: 3 minutes, protecting car with matts, seat/wheel cover, and tape in vulnerable areas: 3 minutes, entering info into a blackberry and waiting for it to print:2 minutes. Vaccuming/ cleaning non installed windows:5 minutes. roughly 13 minutes per job not performing the installation. This does not take into account EZwire or lilbuddy setup.
What needs to be done is cap techs out at 5 jobs per day: 2 by noon, and 3 for 12-5. What they do is load a tech up with 5am jobs, and let him figure out how to get it all done up to safelite standards.
This is not condusive to a good working environment.
On a side note, shooting bead on glass is good for 9 out of 10 cars, but there are jobs where shooting on the glass will lead to an unsafe install, such as most newer toyotas.

What xs? unsafe guys are taught to flip up wipers, hack it out, poop a little goop, slide it in, and run away!

the way they hack they are dangerous with any sharp tools, you know xs because you are one of them,,, or let me rephrase,,, used to be LOL LOL LOL!

And DL ha ha haha ahaaha ahaahahahahaha I thought you where gone and all washed up,,, go away, slide into oblivion, or better yet, belronious will toss you aside when done with your sorry AZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Tex,

I believe in putting the urethane on the glass.The toyota's with the urethane on the bottom is easy to line up.We use the marking points on the glass for urethane trail and if it doesnt have it you can just measure the distance from the frit near dahboard area and make your own reference points...

What??

You are to funny dude.My safelite hacking dayz was over long ago ...lol...When I was installed glass for the Bis S it was back when there was no cowls on cars.Flipping wipers??Perhaps...lol.....

xs, I said "USED TO BE", ok try to read. too funny. yes we all now know you are not NOW, an unsafenut installer! glory be to you oh pizza king!

and Tex you make some valid points!

I for one am glad they are taking away sharp tools from the hack installers=======less butchered cars, and trucks! Good job stinklite.

Interesting Thread!!

Is Belron actualy trying to change the American corporate installation methodology to its Euro techno-craftsmen?

Or are they posting a standard and then winking at it?

time will tell.

Until they change the pay plan to encourage quality rather than quantity, is this merely lip service? Getting rid of some of their worse company hacks would also go some way of convincing others that Belron truly is serious about upgrading their American company's philosophy.

As I understand it,the EZ wire removal method is either mandated or at least commonly used in Europe to minimize body and corrosion issues. A long knife may be considered barbaric in some quarters

I would appauld Belron if they are serious about doing the same thing here. If they can actually convince the American public via media that they are the best trained and equipped auto glass craftsmen available, it would increase pressure on the remainder of retailers to prove otherwise.

However they have to change the pay plan and installation loads as well as some management at the same time they change the removal technology.

Pizza King would be AGN...not me,You got the wrong guy there...lol...

"However they have to change the pay plan and installation loads as well as some management at the same time they change the removal technology."

Exactly. Id be more then happy to slow down but what they are doing now is giving me a pay cut on a already mediocre pay. Also you guys really are drinkin some potent koolaid. Not all people at safelite are hacks. You guys make it sound like everyone is butchering cars without a care in the world. So far from the case. Yes I have seem my share of hackjobs, and they arent all by safelite. It really is upto the installer to make a quality install. If they used the warranty/casualty information to enforce this with the crappy installers then it would be fair to everyone.

To make decent pay with them you need to install 6-7 jobs a day at least. Thats the way they have the pay structure and thats why I'm ****** / worried. They basically just announced Im now getting a deep paycut.

Pay cuts....Why? I understand this is a record breaking profit year.

I have a tech that does glue to the glass & lil buddy every install. So who knows...

Dear Hmmm

That's the million dollar question. I can fully appreciate the desire to minimize liability from removal issues. Any company big or small who wants to stay in business has to take a long term view.

Yet there are two very opposite attitudes that do not co-exist well. the need for volume since it represents profits and bonuses versus the desire for zero comebacks and minimal future liability.

Once that tech leaves the premises, he is on his own. Give him 5or6 jobs, he may stuff them all and have a most of the afternoon off. Or he can do it by the book and respect his craft. It's a problem Belron or any employer has unless they acquire a Predator and monitor their installers.

In my mind, if Belron is trying to change the corporate philosophy, they haven't done it fast enough. They still push volume overall as a yardstick for pay. Yes there are some happy techs. There are some very talented techs. But it sure seems that Belron wants young trainable disposable swifties.

On a side note, While I don't have air in my mobile, I carry a fairly large Vacuum, I really can't see any tempered job that only requires less than 10 min of clean-up. Especially with the new models of cars that have side airbags along with the steel beams that pinch access to the bottom of the door, much less leather seats. Some of you guys out there must have special powers

Safelite banned long knives here a few months ago. Gave all the techs 3/4 scrappers instead. I haven't talked to anyone I know that works there for awhile so I don't know how thats working out for them.

Personally I use both a long knife and scrapper depending on the job. Each method has its pros and cons. Scrappers definitley takes longer but it minimizes damage on tight pinchwelds.

The mark of a true "technician" and not just an installer is knowing what tool to use on what job.

AGN

AGN

I agree with you 100% on the tool selection for the type of job.Even thou we havent picked up a fein knife in over 2 years we still have 2 of them in the shop in case we need it for some reason.

The key words was technician vs installer.maybe they just dont feel that have all technicians and more installers .............

I love the new scrapers. If they are used correctly it is hard to argue against using them.
As for my long knife, they can pry it out of my dead Raynaud Syndrome fingers. It's a homemade, one of a kind masterpiece that belongs in a museum after I'm dead.

Bababooey
I love the new scrapers. If they are used correctly it is hard to argue against using them.
As for my long knife, they can pry it out of my dead Raynaud Syndrome fingers. It's a homemade, one of a kind masterpiece that belongs in a museum after I'm dead.

Was it made from the same pipe that safelite beat you over the head with????...lol.....

L O L
REALY if your down to counting the MINUTES it takes to add a few safety steps to do a job correctly. MY Guess would be that your being assigned WAY to many jobs in any given day to do any of them right.
JMHO

If you want to get paid to fix the damage others have caused, and you make the rules, and you log the evidence,(judge and jury), than you must first not cause said damage, or at least wear a cape.

those scrapers can cause damage just like a long knife i use both myself ,its belrons way of trying to idiot proof the install for the robot rookie army where it will all be perfect in the perfect belron world where they will still make record profits using many more lesser paid techs who can do perfect work with the ez wire and lil buddie and saftey glasses and blue gloves all day long while dl is so happy hes whisling out his bum hole.

???
I don't get it. How do dey speck me to hack and slash, if dey takes away what I hack and slash wit? Splain dat one 2 me.

Look,Dausch hackuer is back................

hey DL u r in-correct we just got the email last week and we have to get rid of our long knives and it is company wide per our district manager. just love how some one that has probaly never put a piece of glass in there life is telling us what to use. dont have the easy wire. but hey go to this body shop and cut out that qtr glass with exposed edges with what. long knives worked good for that. let me pull out my express tool and buy a paint job. what ever.

You better watch out or we will take away all your razor blades too

heres my cold knife don't need that

Someone told me that after they train all their new techs they wont be able to get a job anywhere else....what's a cold knife?

From what I understand,their new training package locks them in for 6 years employed at safelite after the completion of the program.

Soon they will be issued company tool kits. These will be the only tools you can use. No personal tools will be permitted.

Billy if u dont know what a cold knife is than u must not install glass

isnt that a knife that is kept in the refrigerator at 35 degree's ?

Give this a thought.

Largest auto glass replacement service in the WORLD (65% of all replacements) is training their technicians in a way that prevents paint damage to the vehicle and physical damage to their technicians.

Now picture this, once everyone is trained, they start their tv ad campaign showing these techniques to the public. How do your current techniques and methods compare to what the public knowledge will be at that time? Eh?
Keep up or stay behind.

Design of the vehicles dictates the removal process. New vehicles DEMAND a new technique in order to prevent paint damage and that is what Belron is targeting. The use of wire is very smooth and controlled, (insert video here of cold knife, long knife and Sawsall tool being used) verses how these techniques will looked on a video comparing the process.

Not rocket science here to see where things are going. Customers who care about their cars will not be looking for price only.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The mark of a true "technician" and not just an installer is knowing what tool to use on what job.

AGN

I have saved many glass without any dameage to car and glass.I can make video shots on how easy a cold knife can cut thru urethane with ease with the correct angle and a well kept "sharp" knife.Also the same with a long knife.A new blade after each install works miracles and plenty of water will make it even easier.A extractor or express that has a sharp blade with a well trained technician will not dameage anything.again with water,it makes it even better.We own 2 ebots and yes they have their place also.great for exposed edge glass and certain other applications but not for all.Do you now that you must use a dash and headliner protector?some even need a metal pad to protect the vinn plate from being cut off the dash and pillar?.How are going going to hook up the ez wire out to a smashed out windshield that collasped in?

Dear Concerned,

You have a point but a small one. it would really shock me to see Safelite air a removal ad. Also I will bet a month's sales that they will never mandate the Bot be used on all removals. if they did, they would never enforce it based on revenue demands.

As XS says, having the right tool and using it at the right time is the key to success in any trade. I like my cold knife and Squirewire

Snarky,
Wasn't talking about the Bot. Belron has the EZE Wire and EZE Cut.

Just like when the Ford Taurus came out, the original Equalizer was the tool-of-the-day. Auto design dictates what tool is used and how.

I completely agree with your statement.

Safelite has the tools, the training, the manpower, and the leadership to put yall out of business

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Was it the same leadership that went into banruptcy twice.???Because the same basic management is stil there.........

I agree with you rainman. I see techs with two yrs exp and then there a tech with 17-19 yrs and the younger techs think they know everything. But thy are the ones who are damaging vehicles and nothing happeneing, but a more experience tech do that they would be gone. Cant figure that one out yet. Plus senior or not in experience it doesnt matter at safelite. Junior techs get somewhat better treatment. The tools or the trade is what makes it. As long as the job is done in a timely and correct fashison.

Everything that is being talked about in this thread about belsafe is different in each district. It's open for discussion or should I say the DM'S discretion. In eastern pa the store mgrs & Dm do treat the junior tech's way better then the seniors. seniors make 2 much $$ in their eyes & are very replaceable. The info being told to the tech's OFF record from store managers is "no long knife use or u will be terminated" but if we don't see it that fine but if something ever happens then you are on your own. Which is nothing but a legal out for belron/safelite to put it on the tech financially. They have things worded in such legal fine print that they don't understand the aspects of the end result? They will be held $$$$ responsible.

As soon as the company can figure out how they are going to compensate the techs for the
extractors,they are going away as well.
They don't want any senior techs, just late model slap in guys.Pull the cowls,wash all the windows,vacum the entire car,do 8 aday, work till 7:00 every evening,every Saturday,
every other Sunday and NO OVERTIME!!!

Sounds like a great business plan to me, looking at it from the company point of view. So how can you argue with that? What needs to be addressed is the hourly rate of the tech. for that, you need collective bargaining and a well written contract. Until a Union happens, all techs are going to be squashed like the little spineless ants that they are.

Havent you heard?They are trading all extractors for the ez-wrie out system.the offer will be good for all technicians,but they must also sign a 6 year employment agreement contract,identical to the auto glass trainee program....lol......

Well than, I guess if they do like contracts we give them one. Welcome to the US. Let me introduce you to Guido and Salvadore, they have a contract you cant refuse.

First off I'm going to start of by saying.
I drink the Safelite kewlaid.

Part of being a successful company is to evolve.
And with that it is only natural that they provide us with tools that will help make the job at hand easier.

I am going to agree using the right tool for the job is key. Therefor the ez-wire is the primary tool preference. All the other tools are to be used as backups. Because there are things we can't control. But being prepared is key. As new tools come into play old obsolete tools should be put aside.

From what I read everyone thinks hack jobs is taboo.
Do the job right the first time is key. And if by Taking a little extra time to inspect the car/glass and protect the car is a good thing.

I think the changes the company is putting into place is a good thing. And if it makes us all better as a whole so be it.

I personally love running glue on glass. The cars that I am able to do it on I know the end product is usually better. Yes you can't do it on all cars but you can try :D

Sounds good now tuck in your red shirt! GBG

at least his has sleeves.

That Safelite stops using a tool and it gets this much attention must mean something, if you stopped using a tool would anyone care or write about it? Sl must be the sht if u write about this.

Xs no such contract exists

tater

you are correct, I work for slave lite and the new name should be safe life beacase anybody who works for safe life, has no life!!!!!!!!!!

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com