AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Windshield Repair kit advise

I have an old school Windshield repair kit and I'm looking to up grade. I don't have to worry about cold weather here in central Florida. What kit would you recomend? Or what to avoid? Thank you.

Re: Windshield Repair kit advise

I have a $160 dollar clear star kit... yep really cheap but I used glass medic for 17 years and this little kit does just as good as the $1500.00 glass medic. Plus I can do two repairs at the same time and I don't need any power. Blow your money if ya want but if it aint broke don't fix it. On a personal note... I hate doing repairs, Always have but it is EASY money!!!

ditto!!!

since my last post here got pulled, i can see how corrupt and one sided this board is. what a shame. try the other board for some real honest opinions.

The post in question was pulled because it advocated group action. It said "I recommend we all not buy from XXX." Advocacy of such group action is not permitted under Federal anti-trust laws, therefore the deletion.

I didn't read that when I re-read it before I posted it.

It said I highly recommend so and so because of...

I also said "I CANNOT SAY WHO TO AVOID BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT BE FAIR..."

I was totally within the laws. I know the real reason it was pulled...

Rich is a very good friend of mine.

Dear FXB:

Our apologies. We went back and re-read your post. We had read the word "but" as "buy". It is being put back up. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Maybe I'm just biased, but I would recommend no one but Ultrabond for numerous reasons. The truth being, it's not so much the fixture, bridge and all of the cool shiny stuff that comes with it. They all do the same thing. The real and only reason to base a decision on rock chip repair equipment is the resins. Ultrabond has superior resins hands down from any other manufacturer. I cannot tell you which ones to avoid. That wouldn't be fair, but there is a bunch of crap out there...

I appreciate the fact that you went back to re-read my post. Thanks.

No Harm, no foul.

Does he get unbanned????lol..................

I've used a few and I personally like the Delta kit, never been a big fan of the clearstar. I'd rather use a bridge over a mechanical pump setup.

Can't we just throw them all in the lake and replace everything. tired of people wanting perfection for around 50 bucks.

95 if your bellsafe!!!

50 bucks?????Man that'z cheap...we mite do that if you have a coupon and it'z monday am and yur a knock out bombshell,showing some flesh...lol...........

I agree that the Clear Star kit can provide very good results, but my Delta bridge can do it much faster. Also with the Clear Star kit, there would be some chips that just wouldn't repair...With my Delta bridge, I hardly ever run into something I can't repair.

The Clear Star might be cheaper in the beginning, but you need to keep buying those stupid pedestal things, and those clear hoses sometimes. Those injectors don't last very long either. I spent about $125 more than the Clear Star kit for my Delta bridge, and haven't needed to buy anything else except resin since 2006.

Thankyou guys for the advise. For the record, I hate repairs because I'm such a perfectionist and you can allways see where it was. I have to, I don't want to.
You know how a windshield seems to get more brittle with age, especially here in this heat. Is there a cut off as far as age of vehicle where a repair won't work at all?

XS You'll like this one... A girl called last week asked me after I gave her the price "If there was anything she could do for me to get the price cheaper"

Yeahhhhh baby,that'z what Im talking about...lol....The barter system alway'z worked for me...the above was a unofficial post...lol.....

I always take a trade

It is astounding to me why you all seem to hate doing repairs! I love 'em...
It's close to 100% PURE PROFIT, quick, easy, doesn't strain the body and can even be done one handed with a cup of coffee in the other. How does your replacement rate?
This is the EASIEST way to gain a loyal client and perhaps even a fleet to later gain all of their replacement work.
You MUST tell your clients that the damage WILL NOT disappear. Tell them that 70% optical clarity is about the maximum. Once you complete an 80 to 90% optical clarity they will think you walk on water.
I do think Belron did a massive mistrust with their clients raising their repair rate 300%. The economy will turn them off real quick. But I guess if you only 'pay' six bucks for a shield, who cares.

I love doing repairs. My company pay us 70% commision, and since I get paid the same to do a rock chip repair as I do to replace a Corvette door glass, I would do chips all day long.

i've been using Ultra Bond for 12 years now and LOVE doing repairs. stars and cracks over 6 inches all the time with a lifetime money back warranty against cracking. 'nuff said. like fx said, there is a lot of snake oil on the market. buyer bewarE!

Try the Esprit kits. Their Elite Bridge kits are the simplest I've seen to set up and the final result is excellent. Their Classic bridge gets the same result but takes more setting up.

capt ron,
show me some proof that w/s get "more brittle with age". don't perpetuate myths that aren't true.

I can prove it. With twenty years in the Business I've seen (In Florida) windshields that were more brittle after years in the sun. For example, the blue shade at the top has turned yellow. I you were to hit that windshield with a rubber hammer for example and measure the pressure it took to cause a break. Then do the same thing with the windshield you just replaced. It would take more force to break the new windshield. It’s a fact Ken and I don't appreciate you calling me a liar.

Hey capt.Not calling you a liar,but the blue shade that you are reffering to turns bronze or (yellow)from the Uv light...It actually fades the pvb layer that was blue into another color....Now that'z just the color fading I really dont know abouty the glass being effected by it.....

Exactly xs the same UV that damages the pvb also causes the glass to be faded and more brittle than a new glass. I have customers tell me all the time how much better the clarity of there New Windshield especially driving at night.

I wunder if solar coated glass is effected in the same way then????

Time for the hip waders...it's gettin' deep in here.

For UV to effect glass enough to hinder a rock chip repair would take hundreds of years.

Clarity? Ofcourse! A shield a week old with 200 miles on it has more surface damage than a brand new one. As far as I know, there is no expiration date on a windshield. New or otherwise.

Who is this Ken?..

Ken'z salad dressing?????lol................

The only time I see the glass actually get brittle is when it is sepperating from the lamination... I have successfully repaired in a faded out sunshade-

there are some windshields that I have replaced due to stress cracks, that seem brittle when cutting them out- they crack really easy as you pull the cold knife. I would assume age is not the factor there either. Cutting "old" flat glass gets tricky too... there is a lot we don't know yet.

That answered my question. Thank you atec.

The only brittle glass that Ive seen is the old style tauruz and lincoln'z with the insta clear system..glass would splinter off in panes....

Give us a call at Chipio we can help you out.

go to facebook and the repair only group for real answers

Was a member for a minute over there. Won't ever go back.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com