AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Deductable rebate

In the new update in the mitchell glassmate software they put a deductable rebate box in the policy information area, its just wrong

Re: Deductable rebate

It is illegal to rebate the deductible to the insured. All additional discounts go to the Insurance Co. If you discount the deductible, you are inflating the Insurance Co. cost.
ILLEGAL

if its illegal how can they advertise in the phone book like i have seen, up to $250 off insurance deductible? i know in some states they have legislation about deductibles but not here.(wyoming)

They way I have undrestood it is that if you can show that you are not charging more when you waive a deductible then it is not illegal. You can give a discount as you see fit.

Now with that said I do not think it is morally correct. The way the system was designed was that the insured selected their deductible when they purchased the policy, then if they have a claim that deductible is what they pay then the insurance picks up the rest of the bill.

Here is my question. ARE THE INSRUACNE COMPANIES AS MUCH TO BLAIM FOR THIS AS ANYONE? THEY NOW TELL US WHAT WE CAN CHARGE, THEY TELL US TO OFFER MOBILE SERVICE FOR THIS PRICE, ETC..

HERE IS SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN GIVEN HEAVY CONSIDERATION WITH FUEL PRICES:
OFFER AN INSHOP REBATE AGAINST THE DEDUCTIBLE.

MY SCERENIO: I CHARGE THE AGREED INSURANCE PRICE AND COLLECT THE DEDUCTIBLE IF IT IS MOBILE OR IF THEY WILL BRING IT IN SHOP THEN I WILL CREDIT THE DEDUCTIBLE THE $50.00 MOBILE FEE I CURRENTLY ADD TO CASH JOBS FOR MOBILE SERVICE.

MY THOUGHT IS THAT IF THE INSURANCE BELIEVES THEY ARE PAYING FOR MOBILE SERVICE ALREADY AND THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE SERVICE FOR THEIR INSURED THEN WHY NOT GIVE THE INSURED A REBATE FOR THEIR INCONVIENCE AND EXPENSE OF BRINGING IT IN SHOP.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??

In many places it is legal to give a "rebate", it's all in the terminology and procedure. You never, ever want to use the words "waived deductible" but in a few places it's okay to say "promotional" and in more places it's okay to say "rebate". A rebate is legal if the customer pays the deductible in full and then the glass company issues a check for the "rebate" amount back to the customer. You need to have the paper trail to protect yourself. Contact your local commerce department and see if it's okay in your area.

Just my thoughts, if you rebate $50.00 to the insured and the insurance co. finds out then their thoughts might be that they are paying to much and they can lower their O&A for that area. I was told how they figure the O&A for certain areas is they call shops out of the yellow pages (including bottom feeders) and come up with an average and squeeze the legitimate shops more, I myself wouldn't like to give them any reason to pay less, they already don't compare apples to apples (shops with insurance, workers comp, bussiness liscence,quality trained techs, etc... compared to a storage unit, garage, pickup 6 months training yellow page add)....just my opinion

I believe that most insurance companies hate it when a glass shop rebates or waives or gives back any deductible, whether or not it is legal.

So, why don't they have their TPA collect the deductible when the claim is set up and then pay the full amount of the invoice to the glass shop?

That would solve the problem of deductible waiving. And I bet that the rebates would go down as well.

SBOK If you think like an Insurance Co. the mentality would be. OK lets require the insured to bring the car to the shop. We can chop $50.00 off the cost and still make the person pay their deductible. Ding$$$Ding$$$Ding

SGlass

That is a very good point.
Think about this though:
Although margins are tight would it be worth it to stop them from telling people free mobile service when most of the time the customer would have no problem bringing it in. In addition would that not then open the door to add a line item for mobile service on insurance invoices? Either that or they supply a rental and/or pay a wrecker service like for body work?

I realize some cars are still drivable, but if the car will not pass things such as state inspections then the insured should not be required to drive an unsafe car.

Just some things to think about.

I STRONGLY agree with giving the Insurance Co. a discount incentive to have insured bring car to shop. Would serve 2 purposes. Help eliminate the fly by night, no location, no overhead and working out the side door of my van people. Would make the fact you have a location a plus in the Insurance Co. ‘s eyes.

I agree Sglass, Maybe that would put Safe Flite out of biz in a few markets where they only have one installer in a van set up with computer ,printer and gps and have the glass delivered to the installers home.
Maybe they will close down opperations in Oklahoma City where the shut down all of their stores except the wharehouse and only do 5-10 jobs a week in shop .70-80% of replacement by safe flite in the OKC market is done by mobile only.The district manager said by 2008 they will be almost 100% mobile in the Oklahoma market but plan on keeping both Tulsa and OKC wharehouses open.
So I say rebate away boys so I can re open my Oklahoma store.

Now I think we are thinking on the same page. I really think this is a legit thing that needs to time spent on how to offer it.

AMEN BROTHER PREACH ON

other software companies have a reduce amount box, i know IBS does... whats wrong with that?

i think its wrong to waive deductables.. straight to the hot spot if you do that!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com