AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can you answer why?

Can you answer why glass primer is black and why it is essential for urethane adhesion to glass?
Not: primer makes the urethane stick better to the glass. another reason.

Re: Can you answer why?

From my understanding it etches the glass giving the adhesive sometihing to bite into

Yes but there is another important reason

Urethane degrades in UV light.

DING..DING..Ding yes the uv rays gets past the frit and erodes urethane adehion to the glass.
5 attaboys goes to owner.

but what about urethanes that don't use primers, rather, an activator that is clear? Do they still have UV protection?

Right, I was going to comment most glass primers or activators are clear, good thing for the frit band. And even primerless to glass urethanes like essex, 418hv, I believe still require an activator or primer. I would never go primerless!

One of the reasons "primerless to glass" urethanes are slower to cure is because they need that extra time to etch into the glass. Quality products like Dow's U-418/418HV work just as well as any other high-end product they offer. Hell, I'll go as far to say as there are many brands of urethane on the market and when it comes down to it, they all work. The key is using them properly. Installers should be certified by the urethane manufacturer that they use and updated at least every year if not semi-annually to ensure that they are up to date on new products and procedures.

the glass frit was brought about because of urthene breakdown. you never been dirty till you got into urthene that had broken down, and powdered out. ulgy, ugly, ugly. you need to prime(black) unfrited glass if you plan to use urthene.

glass with frits also let uv light pass too. (not all but alot of them)

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com