AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Quick Poll

How many believe you can do as good a job in a driveway or parking lot as you can in a shop?

How many believe 1 man w/s sets are as good as 2 men?

How many feel primer isn't needed?

Would you give up 1% to an Insurance Co. if the work was brought to your shop?

Re: A Quick Poll

LOL sorry I can install glass but I can't spell to save my life.

My opinion,,,, The best work can be and is done in shop. In parking lots and driveways are a compromise in many shapes and form. 2 man sets are Always better than 1 man sliding the glass in, I don't care how good you think you are, as time goes on and you get older you will,, "see the light". Primer is ALWAYS needed!!!!!DUH! but remember this is just my opinion, whether it's popular or not! I will not give up another 1% for anybody!!!! I've given enough!!!!

The best job is done in a shop with a 2 man set, correct primers, and full cut out of urethane, in my opinion

"How many believe you can do as good a job in a driveway or parking lot as you can in a shop?"

Yes we can do as well in a driveway/parking lot as long as the weather (including temperature) is permitting. We would rather do in shop to lower expenses.

"How many believe 1 man w/s sets are as good as 2 men?"

We only do two man sets.

"How many feel primer isn't needed?"

We always use primers.

"Would you give up 1% to an Insurance Co. if the work was brought to your shop?"

The insurance prices are already low enough. I would rather charge more for mobile, even if it was an extra charge to the customer.
Why should the insurance company get a break? It is their customer and us that are inconvenienced.

Execellent questions

What's the difference where the four wheels touch the ground? (Unless it is dusty or other environmental deal like cottonwood seeds flying around like snowflakes). Always use primer, full cut. Use 2 men when 2 are needed. Why even answer the last question, insurance companies do not send work anywhere, the TPA's do.

Glassgod I can't spell but you need to read closer. It doesn't say Insurance companies directly.

"give up 1% to an Insurance Co" I am pretty sure you typed exactly what is above here brother. No matter how one spells/reads, insurance co's do not dispense repair orders, TPA's do it for 'em.

When you put a windshield in your own vehicle do you work in your shop or take it to a parking lot at the mall? Mobile service was created by enterprising folks within our own industry as a marketing tool. Some tech's like the freedom of mobile service others prefer to stay in a shop environment. Some guys are excellent tech's but have no customer/communication skills so you have to hide 'em in a shop. It's your business, do what works best for you.

So EZ What are your answers?

It depends on your business model. If you have good location(s) you have to leverage the investment and capacity. It is easier to sell in-shop service if you have an address that is recognizable and convenient to your customers. If your shop location stinks, chances are you will have a harder time driving customers into your shop. In that case, mobile work is what you will do. Again, it's your business! You decide what direction you want to go.

Yes EZ but what are your opinins

For those glass shops with decent bricks and mortar locations it makes pretty good sense. You will save more in gas and vehicle wear and tear than you will lose from the insurance company payment.

That said, this could be a slippery slope where the insurance companies might say that since the current rates support many mobile jobs, that the glass shops can therefore take a much lower price for in-shop work, and the further downward we go in the endless price spiral.

We do mobile jobs daily to and from our way to regular accounts (dealers/body shops). No additional expense normally since they are between here and there. Only makes sense.

Please lets stay focused on questions.

You're not the boss of me

Sometimes I'm not even the boss of me

I wonder if Sglass is a Safelite number cruncher looking for a way to put more shops out of business.

I'm just a 2 man operation. Have had 2 locations and 8 men workin for me. Back to 1 shop 2 men. 32 year survivor in the industry in a VERY competetive market area. See the need for independents to talk to eachother or the future for us may be lost. Remember your local Hardware stores or Drug stores? I don't want to be a memory

Sglass: You probably won't like this but if I have a choice, I would eliminate all mobile and do only in-shop work. That would eliminate vehicle costs, reduce insurance costs and bring more control to the workflow. That being said, mobile service has come be expected by customers and if I don't offer it someone else will. It is the same quandry we all experience regarding price. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to SELL the benefits of in-shop work. Especially for inclement weather that could affect the quality of the job or vehicles that require two-man set or difficult installations. That would be my opinion.

Here's a question, How many of you have done a 1 man install?

Of those 1 man installs that you did, how many do you think are not safe, and endanger the occupants of the vehicle.

Barring a totally haphazard install, I don't think it is unsafe.

No EZ I actually agree with you 100%. I'm trying not to be bias though. just trying to get everone's opinions shared. Yes have done 1 man installs. Not proud of it but had to do it for a while. Not always happy with the result.

One man jobs sometimes are better. Who has had a body tech give a hand and had them set the shield on the roof of the car? Try setting an 1168 W/ the cowl cover on still[one of the only cars this should be done on]by yourself, then try it w/ someone else. They will screw it up everytime. And as long as it isn't raining it shouldn't matter where, in fact sunlight allows better visibility than any shoplights.

You should not be setting any windshields with cowl cover one. whether 1 or 2 men are doing it!

Do you take the cowls off of 943,999,If you do ha!ha!.

Well they say you shouldn't but i 've seen guys that are NGA MASTER CERTIFIED that still set a DW1168 w/ the cowl on , you just pull the corner caps and trim it down just like you would if you pulled the cowl and run your V-cut angled up just a little across the bottom other wise you take a chance on braking the cowl and a replacement from GM is not chaep a take about 3-12 days and then you cant get the proper screws most of the time. One of my techs ran into this problem .

sometime i too slide in w/s only if there's room on older cars. newer cars 100% alway remove cowl.
use to do mobile for four year myself,now have a shop of my own. one man set w/s all the time. big or small. try shooting v-bead,don't like it. i always round bead for 14 years. sick of doing mobile. in-shop is alot better for me. do 2-times more cars in-shop. how much can you charge doing mobile for a small vent glass which only takes 5-mint.to install or a simple 20mint door glass.i make alot more money haveing a shop. thank's..

Yes we still remove the cowl on 943 and 999.
Sorry but doing things right is just ingrained in us.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com