AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DW1519/20 GMC C4500

Looked this up on PPG, net priced part. Looked up molding for same. It says to use DW1265/6 molding.
Wait a minute if I use a DW1266 mld why can't I use a DW1266 w/s? These are interchangable and the DW1266 is almost 1/3 the cost of a DW1519. Also these are awkward to do, think of a Chev van 5 feet in the air. HTH

Re: DW1519/20 GMC C4500

They are the same just without a 3rd visor frit and/or mirror bracket

and if you do this...and...the customer gets in an accident and kills somebody...and..... he gets a sharp attorney who claims that the reason his client had the accident was because he couldn't see clearly... because a glass company decided to put the less expensive windshield in his vehicle that did not meet the manufaturers specs.....then.....you are liable...and all this because you wanted to save a couple bucks?? No thank you! I like sleeping at night.

All 4 w/shields are interchangeable says NAGS the dw1519 is a cheaper windshield at this time because of the mirror button. Years ago this was also true for the older vans be it the dw852/dw853, dw925/dw926 even with the chevy pickups dw847/dw848 and dw849/dw850 and all us older installers would always use the one with the button cause the list was more (no we all used shield w/o button but then reglued the old button on and had the more $$$ one!)This has changed a few time then they just changed the prices and made them the same across the board this will also happen to these w/sheilds without a doubt!!!!

DR
The point is why pay $93.00 more for the same windshield? All the glass we are talking about meets all of the dot standards. Don't you think you could sleep better with $93.00 more profit? How do you get your hat on over that halo????????

the only way i would use the interchange is if i told the customer the difference, otherwise i think it is fraud. just like billing for a rain sensor w/s and installing a non-rain sensor w/s.

What is the difference between these glasses?? If you know please share.

third visor

Lee, My point was that GM redesigned this windshield ( and changed the part number) for a reason ...and ...if an attorney could prove this reason is what caused his clients crash...then you are liable for putting the wrong one in the vehicle..
Also, take a look at your pricing....I only pay a $16 difference between the W1265 and W1519.

PPG difference $93.00. Mygrant difference $54.00. This is between same #'s. I don't have access to Pilk.
There is no law against making money or saving on your costs. Why spend the money on the same product?
The price will change when every body knows the glasses are the same. Have you noticed price changes on net priced parts that don't sell? They usually come down when nobody will buy them and look for these parts at a wrecking yard.

The only design change is the frit, how could that be a liability,its like putting a shaded windshield in place of a tint, what next paint shops get sued for painting a white car blue

the problem is if you sell them a 1519 then you need to install a 1519 if you sell them a 1265 then install a 1265, if you don't that is fraud.

Absolutely is not fraud or even close. NAGS publishes the fact that they interchange. Or is that fraud too?

All of these have the same list. The only FRAUD is paying more money for the same product. Old saying people, buy low sell high.

I guess this needs to be but into a context that everybody understands. Glass makers do not design glass. Glass is designed by the car manufacturer. Those engineering specs are then given to an approved glass maker to make the glass. It costs a car maker a ton of money to make a new glass for a vehicle. So, if they already have a windshield for a vehicle one year and the next year there is a new w/s in that vehicle, rest assured the car maker found some problem with the older part. Maybee somebody got into an accident and said that the shade band line was right at their eye level. And before this became a big problem, the car maker trying to nip the problem in the bud, redesigned the w/s. Just covering thier backs. Now, in the world of interchanges, they are meant to go forward, not back. In this case, the DW1519 could be used in place of a DW1265. It is not designed to be used in reverse. But if you do this, always put the part being installed on the ticket. How would you explain in court that you billed for something that you didn't even install. Nothing like admitting in court publicly that you are ripping people off. Anyways, parts supercede parts all of the time. Just remember, go forward not backwards.

Same point was when Ford recalled W1460 Taurus w/s because Atlanta plant didnt prime.W/s would not take to urethane.All the sudden same as 00 model just had black patch at mirror,this w/s got hard to find and you paid net.Funny net was same as what Ford warranty paid ,yes you made 100.+labor but 0 on glass.Funny how wholesale went up and hard to get at minute recall announced.

Lets take the DW1265/6 as the base, no third visor frit. It costs X. The DW1519/20 has no third visor frit. It costs 2 X. The DW1580/1 has the third visor frit and is for the vans. It costs 2.5 X(Mygrant prices). PPG is X, 2.5 X, 2.3 X. All of these are basically the same glass. Why the difference in price? Who is getting the shaft here? You Got It.

You are foolish if you think or believe shields went from shade to third visor tint because someone got in an accident. Are people staring at their headliners when they drive?

VSTARAG, Thanks for explaining my point.....

Lee, Since the inception of the wholesaler web pages, your prices have been changing daily, weekly, or monthly..Auto glass has become a commodity..It is all based on supply and demand..When they have a large demand for a specific part , then they'll raise the prices..and vice versa..

1217/1341/1549 are the highest demanded parts here...they are not getting costlier...just the opposite.

the problem is still if you are going to put in a 1265 TELL the customer, i do it all the time with 1549/1341 but i tell the customer, i don't try to do something sneeky and hide it.

plus i don't use nags for pricing i do cost plus so if the 1519 costs 2x i add what i need for that so if you put in a 1265 that is x and charge 2x and tell them you are installing what came out of their vehicle that is fraud.

NAGS publishes them as interchangeable, how in the world is this fraudulent? Please refer us all to a specific court case if you can. I will mail you a thousand dollars if you do.

it is fraud when you charge for a part you don't install, i find it amazing how everyone in here is holier than thow about anything that safelite or d/t does but if they can make a couple extra bucks by any means necessary it is just fine because you are an independant and the world is against you. but i guess thats why you are the same ones complaining about your business woes, the reason i don't complain about that is because my customers trust me like my work and i don't have to play games with pricing to make a profit. if you are charging the same for both parts 1519/1265 you won't survive in business, if a part costs you more you have to charge more, everytime i read the posts here i lose more and more respect for our industry and it isn't because of the big guys.

by the way i never said that i had a court case that supported this i just know the difference between right and wrong, my suggestion is install the 1265 save the customer some money and charge what you need to make a profit, but i can't believe any of us have to tell anyone this that has been in the business for more than two weeks. by the way why do you want to keep the customer in the dark about this instead of just explaining the difference? it shouldn't matter you should be able to make the same profit on either job anyways right?

check my previous posts, I never once whined about "business woes", we are growing monthly.

bqa
The 1266 and the 1519 are exactly the same w/s. No difference. The only difference is the cost to you. Do you wonder why this is so? Can you explain why this is? The manufactures change minor things with w/s's so they can charge it to research and development and raise the prices. They are screwing all of us by doing this. If you like this; enjoy it, but I won't stand for it. There is no law against making money or saving on your costs.

The only way to make us look less like crooks, is simply to be honest. Nothing religious just be frank and honest with your customers and they will trust us more! Use the cheapest part that fits, but tell the customer why and they will use you the next time they want a shield.

Reading the is thread has me wanting to ask a question.

Opionions on liability on the Venture Van DW1293

NAGS now list the DW1432 which is not a SUNGATE windshield which is OE on these and from my understanding is an aftermarket glass without the metallic coating made in it.

If you offer it to your customers are your creating a liability?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com