AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1991 BAJA 208 BOAT WINDSHEILD

LOOKING FOR LEFTSIDE WINDSHEILD FOR 1991 BAJA 208
BOAT. GLASS IS CLEAR AND TOP OF FRAME IS BENT CAN'T
FRIND ANYTHING BECAUSE OF AGE DEALERS ARE TELLING ME
IF NO GLASS LEXON IS NEXT THANKS FOR THE HELP

Re: 1991 BAJA 208 BOAT WINDSHEILD

Can you put laminated or have a piece of tempered made for it?We do alot of boat windows and alot of the time we send out a pattern to get a piece of tempered back in.Never have any problems,can you fix the frame?

The glass in my Baja is made by Taylor Made Industries. I believe that Baja was bought out by Brunswick after 1991, so they may not have used Taylor Made back them. If they did, you may find that Sea Ray glass would work. http://www.taylormadegroup.com/frames/fglass.html

when I have looked for this kind of glass in the past, I've had no success.

Taylor made does not keep any records on what glasses were used and making one piece of custom curved tempered glass is out of the question.

Not true,I have stuff made all the time.Contact,old castle glass,wausau,wisc.

Something to consider.
Is using residential stamped tempered glass differant than DOT stamped tempered glass? Don't they shatter differantly, and have differant testing.

I used to have residential tempered glass made for replacement glass for trailerd mobile homes. One day the temperer told me about the differances and would not knowingly make glass for passenger vehicles because of the DOT specifications. What tipped us off was the color of the glass I was trying to duplicate, it was an automotive color.
I asked an Inspection Officer about this and he said they can pull a vehicle off the road if they become aware of not using DOT approved glass in a passenger occupied vehicle.
Do marine vehicles fall under the same guide lines?

Don't they have to meet safety specifications?....Ira???

jUST SAY NO.

Automotive tint is green Solex...like tinted lami....very deep thinking though.

Not green Solex.....SOYLENT GREEN!

No.....wait.....wrong movie....sorry.

As I recall it, the test requirements for automotive glass are more restrictive than for domestic glazing.

For what it's worth, I think the maximum size of a piece of broken tempered can be no more than .015 ounces.

As a practical matter, unless the glass is used on a school bus, it's unlikely anyone would ever check for the DOT stencil on a piece of glass, and if it breaks, the stencil is gone.

Question to G.O.Wheels -

Have you had curved tempered made by Oldcastle?? I think the Baja glass is curved.

Re: Re: 1991 BAJA 208 BOAT WINDSHEILD

He may have had a simple curve done by Oldcastle, but a Baja windshield is a compound curve, not easily duplicated. Your only hope is to find a used one, or NOS.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com