AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Network fuel charges?

I am wondering if anyone has issued a fuel charge to all their customers including the networks and insurance companies and not had their contract terminated?

Re: Network fuel charges?

i'm not sure a contract that don't allow us to make money is even worth having?

the last 2 network jobs i had contact on, both of them were paying less than what i paid for the glass.

i am hoping that sometime soon, the numbers will be rediculous enough that the entire network system disolves.

Why does everyone keep talking about fuel prices (for mobile work) it is our choice to do mobile, the insurance companies don't force mobile work on us. Our competitors do. People don't expect brake work or exhaust work to be done mobile. If it the job doesn't require mobile work have them bring it to your shop. I do on the other hand think we should be paid for mobile if the vehicle is not drivable (ex: turkey or deer damage) But, the rising costs of heating oil or natural gas are a different story!!!! Talk to your customers most are willing to bring their vehicles in, believe me we started doing this last fall and it has worked. We have eliminated one mobile van and are doing more and more in the shop.

novus,whatever!

George, you are absolutely correct. The ARG business created mobile service as a marketing tool used to attract business to their shops. Sure times have changed and mobile service is not always in the best interst of anyone anymore. We offer a "Customer Convenience Package" where mobile service is included with wiper blade inspection and replacement when necessary. People are willing to pay for convenience today, you just have to ask.

Whether or not you do mobile service, your expenses are going up as a result of high fuel prices.

-Delivery surcharges from almost every vendor, glass and otherwise.

-Higher cost to "will call" glass (your gas cost to pick it up)

-Higher postage/freight expenses.

-Higher heating/cooling/electric bills.

It's hitting us from every avenue, not just gas for mobile service.

We started adding on a fuel surcharge, but I haven't seen it get paid - yet.

How many times must an item "be charged for" before it becomes a "valid" item in the marketplace, recognized by the insurance industry and networks?

Once, ten times, a thousand?

Who tells insurance companies what they can charge for, by item? Regulators? OK, fine.

We saw steering proliferate in states without anti-steering regulations, so if there isn't a state law stating that you, a professional by any definition, cannot charge for an item, then it follows that it must be OK to do so, and automatically becomes an item that must be recognized in the marketplace.

Besides, by your account, it's hardly anything new you're doing. If they don't have it in their claims software, perhaps they aren't responding to changing markets as quickly as they claim they can these days with computerized call centers, among other things. Perhaps they only respond quickly when it's in their own financial interests to do so.

If insurers can go places that regulations do not prohibit them from going, (and may go there anyway), then what's good for the goose.....

We got paid for one today.

This is a reasonable charge to compensate us for the increased costs of doing business due to high fuel costs.

John,how did you do that?thanks

Nice job John!

Can you share with us the company or at lest the type of account they are? How much did they allow and how did you come up with the price? Did the company question the charge or did you just itemize in on the invoice and send it?

Mobile Charges

WE have been charging them on all our except insurance for well over a year now. We have two discount codes for every customer(except insurance). EXAMPLE: We have a CASH inshop and a CASH mobile, etc.
For insurance work I do not YET try to charge a mobile charge unless I am working directly with the adjustor. Then I give him/her the option of the two price system.
For all of the above situations I price cost plus. I do not use NAGS LIST PRICES. Some adjustors want to know the NAGS list price so I give them that but tell them I know longer sell off of NAGS because I am no longer able to buy off of NAGS.

I have tried charging by the mile as well as trying flat rates, but it was a little complicated. Currently I have a mobile flat mobile charge figured in, but if it is over 15 miles away then the fee doubles.

SBOK are you John?

What do you use in lieu of NAGS?

I am not SBOK.

We added a $10 fuel surcharge. It was a smaller insurance company that we bill direct and pays a respectable rate. One we can live with.

I don't want to say exactly which one on a public forum like this, however.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com