AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Telemarketing?

Many of the larger glass shops use telemarketing.

Any suggestions from the forum as to how well it works these days? Is it a good way to market your company?

Re: Telemarketing?

BE CAREFUL.. I BELIEVE SOME STATES INCLUDING LOUSIANA HAVE BANNED IT. I KNOW OF A SHOP IN BATON ROUGE THAT SIGNED A BIG CONTRACT TO TELEMARKET AND THEN COULDN'T BECAUSE THE STATE OUTLAWED IT...

In our area there was a glass shop who did alot of telemarketing, most people do not appreciate being bugged at work and home. Our customers complained alot, some wondered if it was us, and we had to tell alot of people we will NOT do that to them. Most of what we heard even first hand was very shady, misleading, bait and switch tactics, and out right lies. last question for you,,, Do you like getting calls at work and home trying to get you to BUY something???99.9 percent of people do NOT. Let that be your guide!

What state are you in Bruce? XXX sounds a little negative. I bet his marketing consists of waiting by the telephone hoping it will ring!

I for one live in Louisiana and we have a "DO NOT CALL" law here. If you call someone listed on the list then you can be fined 10,000.00 per call. I for one like it. I don't have to worry about people calling me in the middle of supper or 10:00 at night.

I agree fully with XXX and ms. One sure way NOT to get my business is to solicit me via telemarketing. It ranks right up there with SPAM email in my book. The national do not call list was the best thing ever. Second only to caller ID. If I need your service I'll look for you. The best thing you can do for me is to make it easy for me to find you.

my brother works for a company that telemarkets, they are fairly succuesful. according to him 80-90 out of his 100-110 jobs a month are from telemarketing. he said they have around 65 shops mostly in western states. they get most of their work everywhere form telemarketing.

Funny how the webmaster thinks the do not call list and caller id are the two best things ever. 3rd place must go to the internet. Sorry webmaster you kinda hit a soft spot with your telemarketing comments. You and I read all-day, owners and managers constant complaining about not enough work. We telemarket our customers and I for one have never complained about being slow. We must be doing something right!

Lack of work does seem to be a consistant topic on this forum but what I don't understand is - who waits for a telemarketer to call them before they decide to do something about their busted windshield? I've not yet had to have a windshield replaced [knock on wood] but I would imagine that within 24 hours I would be contacting either a glass shop or my insurance agent. I'm having a hard time thinking that the majority of the telemarketing business comes from Joe Car-owner. Surely it must be car rental places, taxi services, etc. Either that or the telemarketers have ESP and know which numbers are for people who need AGR service. Anyway - all I know is that when someone telemarkets me its not because they are trying to be helpful and offer me a service - its because they want my money, and that touches a soft spot with me.

Wow, webmaster is posting opinions. I thought they were forum moderators. Telemarketing is awesome. We use it and it creates sales. People are lazy and just about wait for everything in life to happen vs. making something happen. Webmaster, ...... oh just forget it.

I thought maybe a "consumer" perspective might be helpful rather than just those from other industry members. I must've been mistaken so I'll just go back over here to my little corner and quietly observe. But remember - I'm always watching.

Re: Re: Telemarketing?

I agree 100% we call our exsisting customer base every 4 months for a follow up call and see if they might have new damage. This is a great way to get feed back from your customers who may not be happy with the service and gives you a chance to get it right the second time. We have had great results and good feedback from our customers. If we do come across a customer who no longer wishes to be called we remove him from our call list.

We tried it, spent a lot of money on equipment and employees and lost so much money. It does NOT work, spend your money on other means of advertising. You will be spending your time answering complaints from the BBB and Attorney General. Not worth it.

AL, I was not trying to be negative, just expressing my experiences, and no we don't just wait around for the phone to ring.Thank you webmaster for your opinion out side of "US". I still say Noone I talk to cares for telemarketers, and I do not believe it's a good way to market service. I am not saying all telemarketers are bad, just I have not seen many good ones and they always call at a a bad time. Thanks again webmaster, I appreciate an outside view point. I do believe there are much better, cost effective ways to reach people, calling them at home and work in my book is bad business. thats exactly why some states have laws against it! It's about the almighty $$$$!

Re: Re: Telemarketing?

I dont think this is fair,its like a car salesman and some people dont fight the smooth sales pitch.Its like a tv commercial run in our area,Grandma comes on and says I'll save your 1oo ded.How is this fair.With L and S and other groups how can they broadcast a ad like this?Where is their extra 100 profit that we cant get from these same cos?

Telemarketers; Should be hung,quartered and dragged.

So what does work best for you guys?

Do you figure out marketing cost per job, or marketing cost as a % of sales?

What is the most effective?

The old fashioned way;We earn it. .
My advertising is based on my budget.I have tried just about everything.Radio did not work for me,but,local t.v. stations,cable seems to work the best for me.(best bang for your buck).But you also have to beat thy feet.You just can't hide in the shop waiting for the phone to ring.In most cases you just have to use your noggin and do some research.Then again,trial and error will tell you what gets you the business.This is really not a bad way to go.You don't have to lay all your money down in one place.Put a little bit of money into a couple of different ads,(paper,t.v.,business mags,etc...).
Just don't bug people to give you their money.
Give each try a chance and something will work for you.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com