AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
chemical tainted glass

My vehicle was damaged by a hazardous chemical released by a local plant. Does anyone know what effect the chemical dibutyl phthalate has on automotive glass? Note: the release happened in November. We did not know about the release until the last week of December. Let me know anything!!!

Re: chemical tainted glass

Its main use is for impregnation of clothing, miticidal agent for treatment of rickettsial infections, diluent plasticizer in polysulfide dental materials

Try these three web sites:

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/summary.tcl?edf_substance_id=84-74-2#basic_testing

http://www.speclab.com/compound/c84742.htm

http://www.npi.gov.au/database/substance-info/profiles/32.html

Hope this helps

I would say that if you haven't seen anything wrong by now, it had no effect on the glass.

I would agree with that.
Becky does not state what her issue is with the glass.

After reading some of the information if she was splattered with the polymer and it cured on the glass than she may be expierencing some issues with the glass.

Just speculation.

I am experiencing shiny specks on the front windshield (hundreds of them). Also, when the windshield is wet, I am getting like a film that is hard to see through. I am also seeing like hard water looking spots on the windows. You can see them especially on the dark tint.

Thanks for the help!

Could be pitting, from road sand, salt or dirt.
Sometimes, and I mean this nicely, driving to close to a vehicle in front of you can pit the windshield from fine specs of sand or road dirt being kicked up by the vehicle in front of you.
Look at the leading edge of the hood of your car and see if you see pitting in the paint.

What is it you are trying to find out. Have you consulted a body shop.

What kind of vehicle?

My truck '05 Honda Element was almost 8 months old when the chemical was released. A lab they hired tried to say pits, too; however, I have no chips in my paint on the hood or the top of the roof above the windshield. So I have to call bluff on that!!!

Thanks

Try a single edge razor blade on the glass. You might have over spray on it. If this doesn't clean it you have pitting on your glass. I have never heard of a chemical causing pitting. Some acid washes will etch glass but no pitting. Water spots are caused by dirty water drying on the glass. Are there others in your area with the same problem?

Becky if you are not getting any where with them try to comprimise with the plant and split the total cost of a windshield replacdement with them and be done with it.
I can appriciate you wanting justice, but...move on.

Becky,

We have had some success taking film off of a windshield using a product called "Scrubbs in a bucket".

Many glass shops use these towels with pumice in them for hand cleaning, but they also work on some types of films on glass.

Try a local glass shop

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com