AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fw2368???

I have a FW2368 (2004 Audi A4 convertable) to do on Thursday. I have never done one before. I took a quick look. The cowl looks typical Audi but the top and sides are unique. I didn't drop the top to look for screws but I guess I'll start there. Any tips? Thanks

Re: Fw2368???

Alot of parts to remove. not hard, just time consuming. moldings are t-bolted through a-pillars, VW "zip" type cowl.

we did one last week...not hard, lots of takeapart.
remove visors, unplug lights, and electrical elements from small headliner, and there are bolts underneath.
sides and weatherstrip are screwed in, and held in with small pressure clips.
visor clips have a plastic cap on them, with 2 phillips screws underneath.
not too hard otherwise, once you expose the 4 sides of the glass.
866/925-2287 if you're snagged.
scott

just wondering how much you guys charge for labor.
never work on this myself yet.

The biggest thing is to use a dealer glass as the cowl retainer on the aftermarket glass are usually not attached securely to the glass! It is good to have a pillar clips on hand along with the speed nut that holds the corner of the side molding down as the plastic washer usually can not be reused clip #1J0-867-276-A speed nut #8h0-853-575 ! If a new speed not is not used the side molding will not be pulled down tight to the top molding! Top molding is down with clips and 10mm nuts from the under side! Interior trim around the a-pillar hast to be removed to access the nuts!

Thanks for the insight on this one. I wll let you know how it goes.

I should have taken Ricks advise to start with but the customer had no insurance and I was going to try the aftermarket part. It wasn't that the bottom track the cowl snaps into wouldn't hold, it was that there wasn't one on the glass at all. I told the customer that they would have to go OEM. After checking it out I probably blew myself out of the water with an $800 estimate. I did take some time to look into everything that comes off on this car. I realy didn't care if he walked. There was too much liability involved to do this one cheap. I imagined this is one of those cars you could marry. I did pull the inner A pillar molding and took a look at those funky clips you were talking about that hold the outer A pilar moldings on. I didn't take them off I was just looking. These were riveted on. Are some of them screwed on or do you use screws to put it back together after you cut the rivets ? I probably won't get this job because this guy will shop till he drops to find a cheaper price but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks Don

How much difference is there on a sedan. Do you still need to use an O.E. glass?

sedan is totally different part number and install.

we don't do a ton of convertibles, but the last 2 we have done have been lengthy installs...the other being a a lexus sc 400 (?) .

forgot about the rivits on the plastic pieces beneath the side molding...we popped them off and re rivited them on easily enough, but couldn't exactly figure out why they were there in the first place.

overall, i found this install to be a nice challenge, not too difficult, and we had fun doing it in the shop.

beats the heck out of doing a 1217 covered in butyl anyday.

good dialog on this one.
scott

It's not that I wouldn't like to do it because I like doing new things but if I'm going to take apart this guys convertable and possibly marry a rattle,windnoise or damaged piece of trim (even if they may have been there before we started)I have to make it pay. I would pass on this one if I had to do it at network prices.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com