AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DW1494

FREIGHTLINER/MERCEDES TRUCK
Just did one of these. Removed interior a pillar trim, Fein knife top and sides long knife the bottom. Easy as pie until it came time to prep opening for install. Had to do a little trimming to remove thane/encapsulation on pinch weld and prime the metal. There is no where to stand to do this. This is probably the most awkward install going as you can't stand on the tire and there is nowhere else to stand so you can get the leverage to prep it. Shooting the bead was also a pain. Quote these high and get lots of labor. HTH

Re: DW1494

Lee,have you tried the extractor or the one equlizer has out.Best thing since sliced butter.Didnt like price but paid for itself in about 4 months.Im getting to old for the old ways.We have fein and air,both fein and like cokd knife.But this is great.

We have fein, btb, extractor, ninja, equalizer, etc. The w/s was easy getting out the rest was awkward as there is no place to stand to get leverage to work. The fender extends over the tire. You can stand on the front part of the tire and bumper, but this puts you too far away from the w/s as you can only get to the side. And the w/s is too short to prep from inside. It can be done but is very awkward.

I stand inside the truck or sit on the dash to strip it. Then shoot the glass ( on every job ) then install it.

I found that the upper corners where a little tight on the one that I did. Since I'm 6'3", the prep wasn't that bad and I was able to run the thane on the body. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was.

You can build a platform to work on.Run a 2x6 or what have you,from the tire to either the engine brace bar or to a point on the engine.There is one oil line that sticks up on the drivers side that you will have to build up abt 2".
Wouldn't hover boards be nice at times like this?(re:back to the future).

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com