AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pilkington 3% increase

We were just told of Pilkington's 3% price increase, will be starting for us. How interesting...first fuel charge, now price increase.

They're reasoning is the high price of raw materials, fuel, health care, and over all labor costs.

Re: Pilkington 3% increase

I say no problem, only glass shops are scared to death to say NO, to a few jobs. We just turned down a progressive job. We do not discount from nags. As a matter of fact I just told sgc that we will be increasing our mark-up from nags around 5% to make up the higher cost we are incurring.Don't be afraid to turn down a few, and start insisting on more mark-ups to stay in line with rising costs. EVERY industy out there raises prices to stay profitable. When are glass shops going to stop the slow death? Bigger question I have right now is to see what sgc does with MY customer who wants to use my shop. This might be a real good steering case. By the way if any one gets the letter from pilkington please get it to Bridget Oleary. I'm sure ALL the distributors are going to raise prices,,,, they have to,, they are not going to play the slow death game. And neither is our shop. Good luck to all who have the guts to say NO MORE!!!!!!

Way to go CS! It is nice to see somebody stand up and say NO!!!

I can see it now. If all of us start demanding fair prices, the insurance companies will cry unfair trade practices against all of us and try to sue us all into the ground. Bring 'em on! What will they do when the only place to go is SGC?

D boy,

How exactly would the insurers do that?

PPG 3% INCREASE , PILKINGTON 3% INCREASE BOTH HAVE STARTED FUEL SIR CHARGES . SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE PRICE FIXING TO ME.
SHOULDN,T SOMEONE BE INVESTIGATING THIS ?
THIS SHOULD OUTRAGE EVERY LARGE AND SMALL INDEPENDENT GLASS SHOP IN AMERICA. WE ARE SPINELESS TO LET THIS CRAP GO ON .
IF EVERY SMALL SHOP BOUGHT GLASS FOR ONE MONTH FROM SOME OTHER SUPPLIER BESIDES THESE 2 GIANTS YOU WOULD SEE PRICES DROP.

concerned,

i'm not sure but maybe everybody could learn from their example.

in the past i have seen price increases stick, and i have seen price increases recinded.

all it takes is people to stick together, but how hard would that be? Those manufacturers seem to know how to stick together, although there was one instance where we formed a group and made group purchases from a supplier a lot further away, until all 3 warehouses at the time decided to recind their price increase.

Mark1-- I was being facetious. But can't you see these insurance bigwigs with their holier than thou attitudes thinking they COULD sue all of us in a reverse class-action suit, on the premise that if we all refuse to work for them that it therefore constitutes price-fixing?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com