AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Auto Glass Olympics

Please see the following article on GlassBytes: http://www.glassbytes.com/newsAGRSSSweep20060301.php
I would like to opine directly to the AGRR editors that this is simply the result of logistics. Our small shop simply cannot afford to send out techs or run out to Las Vegas for shows and competitions. That is afforded only by large revenue businesses who have the fiscal and human resources to do so. However, if any of the winning techs would like to fly out to Wisconsin, I would put our senior tech up against any of them, and as much as I respect all of them, we would win. Thank you.

Re: Auto Glass Olympics

YOU WOULD? WELL, ME TOO!

I don't doubt your technicians abilities. I do wonder what the point of your post is. The tech olympics is a good way to promote skill development. It is nice to see an entity attempt to quantify what we constantly preach. I'm sure the process isn't perfect. If the program gains enough support, maybe they can do competitions at the regional level (glass shows?) with first prize or first and second prize being an all expense paid trip to the finals. Who knows. I think its a nice deal.

Dear Readers,
DL was not far off his mark with his suggestion. The Auto Glass Technician Olympics is co-sponsored by the Independent Glass Association and AGRR magazine and while there is no plan in place right now for any of the sponsors to offer an all-expense paid trip to the competition, AGRR magazine did create a package that would help local shops stage what we call “feeder” events. These events can be held on the most local level, with individual shops or cities holding events to determine who goes to the competition, all the way up to regional events. For more information on the feeder program please contact AGRR magazine at 540/720-5584. We will also have the feeder kits available online for download shortly. Thank you for such open, honest and, above all, professional conversation on the message boards.

you should incorporate the regionals with the regional glass shows and the national with the national glass show.

The point is simple: our shop has 4 techs, one csr (me!). We have about 40 accounts right now. Some we visit and work for every day, some we may not hear from for a week or two. Most days it is a combination of the "regular" every day accounts, mixed in with the less frequent accounts as well as cash jobs. There is absolutely no possible way we can afford to go to seminars, shows, or even "feeder" events without jeopardizing our accounts. The day spent attending one of the "feeders" would cost more than just the profits that tech would have brought in, it may cost an account or two. I can't explain it any simpler than that. I have nothing whatsoever against the Olympics and trade shows, none at all. I felt like expressing an opinion from a small, but efficient and profitable AGR company, that's all.

DL - are you volunteering to coordinate your idea?

sure.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com