AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
windshield payments?

I am in the upper midwest area and now seeing belron advertising for customers to make 35.00 monthly payments on their glass relacments.dumb!

Re: windshield payments?

What do you think is "dumb" about it?

IF SOMEONE CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY FOR THIER GLASS REPLACEMENT, CHANCES ARE THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE THE PAYMENTS EITHER. WHAT ARE YA GONNA DO DR, TAKE BACK THIER W/S? NEXT THE LITTLE RED TRUCKS WILL BE GIVING AWAY THE WORK FOR ALMOST 0 PROFIT, GIVE THEM NO INTEREST PAYMENTS UNTIL AFTER THIER W/S BREAKS AGAIN AND BELRON CAN JUST KEEP THEM IN DEBT FOREVER, YEA WHAT A GREAT PLAN. THIS WILL BE REAL GOOD FOR THE CONSUMER. LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE, THAT MENTALITY IS NO DIFFERENT FROM DIAMOND TRIUMPH AND SAFELITE. GO FOR IT BELRON, WE WILL LAUGH AS YOU GO DOWN THE TUBES TOO! SAME AS WHEN YEARS AGO HARMON SAT WITH A FEW OF US SMALL GUYS AND SAID,"OUR POCKETS ARE DEEP ENOUGH, WE WILL SURVIVE THE STORM",,, HOW MANY STORES DOES HARMON HAVE NOW?????? YOU ARE RIGHT GLASSRAT IT IS DUMB. I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF REAL SMART PEOPLE DO REALLY STUPID THINGS! THINKING TOO FAR OUTSIDE THE BOX MAY JUST PUT YOU RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX TO WHERE YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE BOX EVEN IS!

i made a trip to florida,,,i couldn't believe they have rent to own, tire stores.

guess this will be the next trend in auto repair, i remember the sales pitch for leasing,only pay for the part of the car you are going to use,,, ha ha,..

It's not a smart move for a consumer to make. The consumer is just going to get more and more in debt! It's a interesting move for the credit companies. What are they going to come up with next??? ~Western Wishes~

THAT MENTALLITY OF GET IT NOW AND PAY LATER HAS BROKEN THIS COUNTRIES BACK. A RECENT SURVEY SHOWED THAT MOST AMERICAN FAMILIES CARRY ABOUT 8,000.00 IN CREDIT CARD DEBT AND THAT A VAST NUMBER OF THEM ARE STRUGGLING TO MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON TIME.
THE GLASS INDUSTRY SHOULD GO INTO THE LENDING BUSINESS WE ALREADY WORK FOR FREE.
WHAT WILL WE COME UP WITH NEXT I'LL PAY YOU TO TAKE THIS WINDSHIELD OFF MY HANDS IF YOU LET ME CHARGE IT.
THINK ABOUT THAT A MINUTE IT WILL HIT HOME.

This country's back is not broken. Move elsewhere like the Mid East if you feel so.

What are you guys talking about??!!!!! Don't we all accept credit cards?? All they're trying to do is to make the 18% interest versus the credit card companies. Sounds like a great way to increase their RPU to me.....

we have a rental place here that rents rims!!

the response about taking the w/s back if they don't pay, brings to mind a better one---plastic surgeon here in town that will let you finance a boob job, are they gonna take'em back if you don't pay? and as for that tummy tuck are they gonna bring you back in and put it all back?

I DON'T KNOW OF ANY AUTO REPAIR PEOPLE THAT WILL LET YOU MAKE PAYMENTS TO GET YOUR CAR FIXED, WHY WOULD ANY GLASS SHOP BE THAT STUPID??????WHY IS IT SOME WILL DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING FOR 1 JOB, NO PRIDE? WE JUST LAST WEEK HAD A YOUNG GIRL WITH A BADLY BROKEN W/S THAT THE POLICE DEPT TOLD HER SHE MUST FIX WE GAVE HER A VERY FAIR PRICE OF AROUND $300.00. I TOLD HER SHE COULD PROBABLY FIND SOMEONE WHO WOULD DO IT CHEAPER BUT PROBABLY NOT BETTER. SHE WANTED US TO DO THE WORK. SHE THEN ASKED IF SHE COULD MAKE PAYMENTS ON THE WORK AND I EXPLAINED,,,,I'M NOT A BANK,, IF YOU NEED $$$$ GO TO A BANK OR PERHAPS, BORROW FROM YOUR FAMILY, SHE DID AND ALL ARE HAPPY MORAL OF THE STORY,,,,,,,QUIT GIVING AWAY OUR INDUSTRY,,, SOME OF US ARE WORTH MUCH MORE THAN THE CUTTHROATERS AND HACKS WHO ARE HELPING TO KILL THIS INDUSTRY!!!!!!GO KILL YOURSELF AND QUIT KILLING THE REST OF US.. TOO STRONG?????? SORRY

I would like to know where you saw that ad. Can you prove this to be true or is this just some rumor? Just curious

Do you have a Firestone, Good Year, Pep Boys, Western Auto in your area? ALL of them allow you to make payments on repairs.....They call it "their instant in-store credit"... If that same young girl walked into Belron, they would have made $360 (over 10 months) on a job you made $300. Thats 18% more than you made! How is that giving away the industry??
And no need to apologize for being too strong.....I can tell your passionate about your business. I hope things get better!!

Re: Re: windshield payments?

I think you are missing what might be happening here.After a quarter century in the glass business I really believe within the next couple years or less the insurance companies are going to get out of the glass claims business.Look at repairs.Listen to things being said by their top people,"We don't insure your tires,your rear view mirror,your radiators.Why should we insure your glass?It is about time for the insured to share in the pain.How is this accomplished?First you raise deductables so high that all replacements will be out of pocket!Now if this happens and the comsumer is free to choose again that will be what everyone has wanted all along and there will be dancing in the streets by all the glass shops in America!Great,but that will create a all cash price market and prices will only go down more(If that is possible)and now a giant like Belron (you know they clain to put in a windshield somewhere on the planet every 6 seconds) will have made a niche for its self for the less fortunate to get the job done.You know all those indebt people you spoke about,it'll be them.What does Belron know?Be careful for what you wish for when it comes to TPA's,all the networks and all the evil that fills your day,you do not want it to go to a all cash market!Everything will be 150.00 to 175.00 installed.If you don't believe it go to any major city and sit outside any well known dist. for a day and watch who their real customer base is.Hispanic,Russian,middle Eastern all with no overhead,all cash,paying all cash for the goods.This is not to be taken a a derogatory comment in any way what so ever! It is just a fact.We as a industry must prepare for this and get certified,tell our customers about safe drive away times,and every safety issue you can promote on a daily basis or our new enemy will be the no sign truck sucking up the cash jobs.And the looser will be the poor unsuspecting vechicle owner that does not know any difference.This is going to happen,and we had better start preaching safety yesterday or we will have to join the wildabeast crossing the crock infested river,some will and some won't.

It was not for 360.00,it was for 189.00 for a dw1256.He also told me that if he paid all of it with in 3 months there would be no intrest rate charge.If he did not it would be 5% every month after.I guess when you have deep pockets you can do this?

there is no way 5% will pay for the operating cost of there finance dept. It sounds like they are stuggling to keep their volume up. Now that safelite and belron and others out there have made volume their stategy its hard to go up in price. They also can't close losing locations because they would back away from nationwide coverage contracts. windsheild financing sounds like good news to me, so long as its the competition.

Glassrat-Where are you seeing these ad's? In mail flyers, news papers, where? :)

oldman has it right!!! if the insurance companies get out of the glass coverage, why cant our industry look more like the tire guys?? i don't hear the small indy tire shops complaining about Big-O, Les Schwab and Wal-Mart like we complain about SGC.
Sure, they grumble every once in a while, but they ALL seem to stay in business and even grow, expand, or multiply every year! What would happen to SGC if the insurance companies quit paying for all but the most expensive glass work? Most of my cust deductibles I see are getting up to 250 or more, in another 5 years i bet most will be 500, with a significant percentage of them being 1000. With the discounts the customer gets for having a high ded, it just makes sense for them to pay less now and pay out of pocket for w/s and most d/g replacements. i guess they are just screwed on some of these b/g prices i have seen lately. Chev s-10 blazer is a good example.

I hope many of the older shops remember the era where Carter was president,we had a bad time.Nags revamped ,customers confused,sounds like today.If you look we have had cycles.Dont beleive,look week when schools start.Look when elections for presidents ,you will see a cycle.I say only strong will survive,I wont give in and made it all these years,I!ll make it now.Dont lower your price to help kill our trade.Mitchell in their greed has thrown glass shops to try to keep ins. on their side.They lost a major percent of the body shop est. service.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com