AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cowl Jumping

Unlike Cow Tipping, is cowl jumping in Glen's zero-tolerance training package?

What a perfect, Hi-res photo too. I don't think this is the old sheild coming out in the photo.

Ah well, at least he's wearing gloves, but I wonder what the cup is for?

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/v-media/story/5489159p-4949658c.html

Re: Cowl Jumping

Unbelievable! And the idiots actually took a picture of that.
Even looks like his sweatshirt is stuck in the urethane. That should further the excellent bond he is destined for.

Maybe they wanted an action shot and this isn't a photo of him actually installing the windshield. But, I would have to say it does look like there is fresh urethane on the side. To put a cherry on top Safelite doesn't send the poor guy out with a ladder. I can't imagine installing a windshield standing inside the door like that. Man oh man.

This is one of Glen Moses trained employees. Did you expect anything less than this????

I hate to say it, but we have a guy in my shop that does the exact same thing. I had to help him set a DW1319 the other day because he will not pull a cowl panel, nor will he use body primer, gloves, or any other PPE. I've told the owner, but he won't do anything about it. By the way, there's a way ya'll could send in some contructive observations about the picture to the person that wrote it.

http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/glenmoses_response.htm
Maybe we should send Glen a pic???
Excerpt from above

Those who know me are well aware of my standards - do the job right, and make quality first. I would not have joined the Safelite team if I had perceived any “cut corners” policy in place. Truth is, I was favorably impressed with Safelite’s installation policies and commitment to first class adhesive products.

You have trained them well Glen!

Excerpt from above.

I DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR TO SLAM GLEN MOSES FOR THE PRACTICES OF EVERY SAFELITE TECH. I DONT WORK FOR SAFELITE BUT I DO COMMEND MR. MOSES FOR TRYING TO IMPROVE THE PRACTICES OF SUCH A LARGE PORTION OF OUR INDUSTRY! THERE ARE TECHS THAT KNOW THE RIGHT WAY TO TO THE JOB, BUT JUST DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO DO IT!!

You're right, HH.

I just thought it was funny, and would have put the link up no matter who it was.

I guess if there is a shield you can jump the cowl on without sliding the bottom bead, the Econoline would be it, it only covers about a half inch of the bottom of the shield, but I still say pull the 10 screws and the cowl.

Re: Re: Cowl Jumping

FUBARCDR I WOULD NOT HELP ANYONE THAT IS DOING THE INSTALL WRONG AND SHARE THE LIABILIY IF SOMTHING HAPPENS. JUST MY THOUGHTS.

GREAT SHOT. MAYBE THE PASS WIPER IS HIS IDEA OF A SECOND INSTALLER? LET'S SEE,,, "REST IT ON THIS HERE THING AND THEN MAYBE I CAN GRAB THE CUP, AND OPPS MY JACKET IS IN THE URETHANE, OH, DON'T MATTER I WON'T SEE THIS VEHICLE AGAIN WHO CARES ANYWAY". I WONDER HOW MANY SHIELDS CRACK BETWEEN WHERE HIS HANDS ARE PUTTING ALL FORCE AND WIEGHT, HMMM PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW NOT TO DO A QUALITY JOB! EVEN WITH GLOVES IS IT OK TO GRAB THE FRIT BAND WHERE THE PRIMER IS SUPPOSED TO BE????? NOT IN MY BOOK OF LOGIC! EEEE-GADD!!!!

Wow and to think I have been wasting time removing the cowl all allong

This is comical considering that Safelite was just awarded ISO 9000-9001-9002 status for their handling of Claims Solution Group/Services.

It appears that if you are more effective at manipulating consumers and insurers you needn't be concerned with the bothersome issue of quality.

bottom line is did he get paid,,,,,,yes...does the customer see the old crack,,,,,no...did he get paid the same rate as you?/ probably.

from their viewpoint it is fixed.

i don't think i would volunteer to be the crash test dummy in that one though.

Good advise, Elron. I've made very clear to my dispatch office that I will not work with this tech. The down side is that with only 3 auto techs, if one is out, we have to help each other. When that happens, I try to keep my name and/or installer number off the work order and give full credit to the other tech.

THAT PIC NEEDS TO GO INTO THE HALL OF SHAME!

Put the picture into Photo Shop or another editing program & enlarge it. You can see that the moulding has been cut off. That's the old W/S coming out. But that doesn't mean the guys not a hack.

IF THAT IS THE OLD W/S I WONDER WHAT THE STICKER IS PASSANGER SIDE TOP CONNER?

Dunno, parking sticker maybe? It gets pretty grainy when you zoom in real close, but it kind of looks like the stickers are on the inside. I suppose it's possible that it is the new glass, but that has to be one awkward set from that position.

That's gotta be a new shield. Looks like a bar code on the sticker and that's a fresh urethane bead. He's putting it in, not taking it out.

I don't use latex to remove, looks like a great way to get hurt. He must spend more time on clean up than he thinks he saved.

good morning all, i just have to give my opinion on this. it looks like a new windshield and if you look in the lower passenger corner there is a piece of plastic that holds the bottom end of the molding on. The windshields we receive from ppg (1319gby dw1504gby and so on) usually have orange tape at the bottom but sometimes it's clear.

that is a safelite sticker in the corner, new stickers are blue with bar code. he also left the scotch tape that they put on to hold the moulding in place on the bottom. also looks like he shot a round bead.

I have to do one tonight, but I all ready took off the cowel, I think I can,t do it his way even if I tried, maybe with thee or four cups. This one turns out to be SGC GLASS WITH RUST AT THE TOP AND SIDES FROM CUTTING OFF THE MOLDING, NO PRIMER . Another job that takes up space for a few extra hours. The cowel was removed befor.

After taking a much closer look, I have to agree that it does appear to be a new windshield. It must be the angle the picture was taken from that makes it look the moulding has been trimmed from the glass. I think it would take way more effort to get a new windshield around the door & A pillar and into the position he has it in, than it would to take the cowl off & do it right. Of course, maybe that's what the cup in the middle was for, with one hand you just hold the shield up over your head & out of the way as you climb into the truck.

Not to stick up for the guy, but it is probably just a picture for the paper! However the cowl and wiper speak for themselves as he had to get the old glass out. Show that picture and article to your clients and let them decide!!!!!!!!

Excerpt from the article:

----------------------

In talking to customers, Sanders said he thinks a lot of the damage he's seen lately can be attributed to the U.S. 278 construction.

"When I started over here a year ago, it was very slow," said Sanders, who previously was fixing windshields in Charleston. "I was doing four or five jobs a day, but now I'm doing eight a day and I'm booked three days out."

------------------

I think he better get faster, I thought SGC's quota was 14 a day? This guy will never make his bonus only doing 8.

Just kidding Mr. Sanders. I have never met you and I am very sure you are a great guy. We just have to poke a little fun at your employer once in awhile.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com