AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
mirror button bonding

hello daer sir/madam
what is the best bonding (adhesive) for attach of mirror button to windshield(which manufacturer)?please introduce me with
e-mail,thanks you,best regard.

Re: mirror button bonding

Sir it is very pleaseing to meet you , please take your car to the local glass shop near you and allow a professional his grace to do that for you so that you do not goof it up . Thanks and have a nice day .

loc tight and 3m both make a real good mirror bracket adhesive. Your local distibutor should have these kits readily available. Stay away from the 1 shot over the counter kits, they do work, but usually don't have enough of the proper activator. like Tsi said, the best bet maybe to have a professional shop redo it right.

Hey guys,

If you note the name and the language pattern, this is not a request from an American.
Checking out the email address, there is a Saipa Glass in Iran and I bet that's where the request comes from.

Let's be nice to foreign visitors.

Farzin, in my opinion, Loctite 3325 is the best adhesive to use.

FYI - The posters IP address is actually coming from Dubai, Iran.

stop your nuclear program and I will tell you Just Kidding I use loctite too, seems to work the best

Just watch... If it has frit at the bonding location, it needs epoxy rather than the typical loctite adhesive.

Why syd, we use loctite on those also and have no problems. Now if it is a large bracket, ie hyundai, then we might use urethane, tape, and see you tomorrow.

Isn't Dubai in the UAE?

while we are talking about mirror bracket glue, has anyone noticed a problem with the spray nozzle for loctites primer. Seems like every can I get starts spraying outside the tube going to the nozzle, right toward my eyes. I've seen it happen to alot of other techs lately. Just curious if it happening to others, or if I'm just cursed.

Nope, it's not just you, Mojo.

I came to the conclusion that when they get used a lot, the primer must be eating the spray nozzle tube up under the sprayer button.

Annoying, isn't it? Happens to us about every fourth can or so, mostly towards the bottom of the can, usage-wise.

Try to get some Loctite works really good..unless is a different set up ( Urethane set ).
Hope this helps.

Same here on the loctite spray nozzles. Sounds silly but we have found that making sure the nozzle is spraying in the direction of the red dot seems to make them last longer. Not sure why that would make a difference but seems to be working.
As far as the loctite on the frit, we have had several come back with the mirror off the glass with a big chunk of glass attached to it. After much research, we discovered that epoxy is "supposed" to be used when bonding a mirror bracket to frit. We just use the 5 minute (15 minute real time) 2 part epoxy from Lowes or Home Depot. (Equalizer sells it as well) Could be poor glass quality as well???

Usually when we see a mirror bracket come in with glass stuck to it the mirror was hit or jerked off the w/s.

Had a lock-tite primer leak on to a Toyota consol. It ate the plastic surface. Expensive fix, those parts aren't cheap. Watch out!

Had 3 loctite bottles in a row leaking. We switched to Permatex. A lot better spray nozzle, fatter and easier to use. The application is a bit different but it sure beats getting primer leakage all over you.

CCC: Where can we get Permatex from? Thanx

Re: Re: mirror button bonding

I buy from carquest or napa when in a jam, new package says permatex then read close also says loctite. my understanding was they were bought out by permatex

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com