AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
VGD Wiper Haze

When cars go through the automatic car wash a thin film of wax is coats the glass as well as the paint. This causes the wipers to shmear when it rains. People think the problem lies with the wipers. The wax must be removed and the glass surface microlapped before the problem can be eliminated. I think if more people knew the reason for this problem they wouldn't use automatic car washes. This is a VGD service.

Henry Grover Jr.
Glass Tech Services
GTSForums@hotmail.com
Specialty Services Are The Way!

Re: VGD Wiper Haze

We have a VERY popular full service car wash nearby. We see this problem quite often. Have found that cleaning the windshield with cerium oxide by hand removes everything on the glass. Worst part is the "elbow grease" involved and we usually don't charge. (makes people REALLY happy and many have returned with profitable jobs)
Have also found that the CO will also remove Rain-X successfully.

Do you have another product or service idea for dealing with this?

Re: Re: VGD Wiper Haze

We have used Bon Ami dri and it works quite well and won't scratch.

I have the same problem with an Aquapel treatment on my own vehicle. Have you heard of any problems with this application?

I give up. Or I am in a haze. What is VGD????

Back some years ago when I was a NOVUS franchise I was 1 of the few who had their polishing system. I did a ton of cars for Avis. After 30k miles or so a film from the plastic bristles of the car wash would actually build up on the glass, along with some detergent residue. This made it very difficult to drive at night because of glare from any light source. I would polish the entire w/s in about 45min to an hour and charged $70.00. This was a slurry system of cerium oxide which pumped through the polisher. I have polished a tons of glass. But what I found with automatic car washes is the plastic brushes over time leave a plastic coating on the glass. there's a couple cents worth!

How about this one JAY, plasticized migration? Any idea what that is?

I will tell you later if noone else knows what it is. I was actually stunned to learn that there was actually a name for it and that GM pays a team of scientists to research it.

THATS WHEN THE COMDUM FALLS OFF.

LMAO very good, but wrong answer LOL !!!

THANKS JAY!!!!

Long, hard day today. Customers were (unusually) difficult today. Needed that laugh desperately!

YOU MAY NEED A UNIT ENHANCER TO CORRECT THAT PROBLEM OK I KNOW, GETTING OUT OF HAND HERE!!! GOING HOME,,, IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS,,, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL! AND YES, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Fascinating posts guys! I do use a cerium for polishing. Around 5 microns particle size, nonagglomerating, and 99.9% pure. I remove all of the wax/polymer down to the bottom of what is called the near surface of the glass. I only use a two inch disk with a huck towel glued to the bottom. It remains flat at all times because I have added a u joint between the shaft and the drill motor. The motor is variable up to 1200 rpms. I test the surface using pure water only. If everything has been removed, then the surface will sheet water. Now what is fascinating is when I put new wipers on immediately after I have microlapped, the glass surface will start beading water. Apparently either the rubber molecules fill the micropores of the glass, or the plasticizers in the rubber of the wiper blades leach out and fill the micropores. Either way only that part of the glass where the wipers pass becomes hydrophobic (water hating). It only takes about fifty passes by the new wiper blades to do this. Also VGD stands for vision glass detailing or vehicle glass detailing. I prefer the former because I have learned through the different forums I have got into, that this a what you might call a crossover technology.

Henry Grover Jr.
Glass Tech Services
GTSForums@hotmail.com
Specialty Services Are The Way!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com