AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Defroster Tab Repair

Just trying to get a sampling from the industry of charges for back window defroster tab repair.
Note... Is it possible "the chickens have come home to roost?". re.. Glassbyte's Special News Alert "Diamond Triumph investigated by FBI".

Re: Defroster Tab Repair

For warranty we charge 75.00 to reglue tabs. Non-warranty 50.00-60.00.

What are you all using to repair these? Last time I did one the "fix" kit was junk and didn't work for anything. And regular everyday solder is not the proper fix either correct?

I've done dozens of them using rosin-core solder.

I haven't broken one .....yet.

I put flux on both the tab and the backlite, then trapping
some solder between the tab and glass, pressing with the soldering gun,
I heat it until the solder melts, then back off the trigger on the gun and hold it for 5-10 seconds.

It usually works fine.

Kent Automotive carries the 2-part epoxy kits for reglueing tabs. Mix it together from the two little tubes and smear some where the tab fell from, tape it on and plug back in a day or two later depending on humidity. E-mail me if you would like contact info. (Kits are around 70.00 bucks, usually can do about 10 repairs unless the kits dry up from non-use)

Ever try using the rear view mirror glue?

I use the resin core solder and a small torch as described above. Works well only a couple would not adhere. The trick is holding it still long enough for the solder to cool. Plug the tab back in and the customer is on their way. Ten minute job $25.00

We tried solder, but blew up a couple a few years back, so even though the kits are a little pricey it's cheaper than paying for a mistake at a solid car dealer account.

REAR VIEW MIRROR ADHESIVE DOESN'T HAVE CONDUCTIVITY.
BEFORE THE 2 PART "CIRCUIT WORKS" CONDUCTIVE EPOXY THATS BEING DISCUSSED HERE WAS AVAILABLE,
WHAT WORKED WELL WAS..SUPER GLUEING THE TAB IN PLACE, THEN OVERCOAT IT WITH GRID REPAIR COMPOUND CALLED "QUICK GRID" (3 COATS). GIVE IT 24 HOURS AND
YOUR OFF TO THE RACES.

Re: Re: Defroster Tab Repair

WE USE A PRODUCT FROM NAPA MADE BY PERMATEX COST $ 8.39 ITEM# 765-2634.
SNAP PRIMER TUBE, PRIME GLASS AND TAB, THEN KNEAD THE ADHESIVE POUCH. APPLY ONE DROP OF ADHESIVE TO CENTER OF MOUNTING AREA APPLY TABE HOLD FOR ONE MIN. DO NOT USE DEFROSTER FOR 24 HOURS. SOME TIMES YOU HAVE TO TAPE THE TAB FOR THE 24 HOURS THEN PLUG LEAD TO TAB.

great info everyone thanks

15 years ago we used mirror bracket adhesive on a defroster plug,,,,it worked great..............

until the guy used it, 6 months later, then the window broke,,,, so we swept up the pieces and put in a new window....

so i would say just replace the window, pays better LOL.....

nowadays, we use silver epoxy, and haven't had a problem, i think chrysler has a part number for it.

Re: Re: Defroster Tab Repair

Also check Chr,Plm dealer.They have new tab that can be installed easier with cig lighter or lite heat tool.The tab has pre applied solder.Works great.Quick also, check lines with volt meter to make sure took connection.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com