Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'rage goes retro' 2 - FULL ARCHIVAL INFO on TWO of the ROCK ARENA episodes being screened

So, out of the 3 ROCK ARENA episodes being played this weekend on 'rage goes retro' 2 are these below. I am SO excited as the 1986 episode is one of my 4 ROCK ARENA episode requests being the November 22, 1986 episode. I requested this episode again and have for quite a few years as I am a MASSIVE David Sylvian fan and I LOVE the interview in the ROCK ARENA studio with Suzanne Dowling.

I have it as a dubbed VHS copy from the 80's in quite crappy quality so I am SO glad I will finally have this episode!

ROCK ARENA EPISODES

August 30 1983 (Elvis Costello, Stranglers, Stray Cats)
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, RADIO RADIO;
DAVE EDMUNDS FILM CLIP, SLIPPING AWAY;
DAVE EDMUNDS FILM CLIP, INFORMATION;
STRAY CATS FILM CLIP, LITTLE MISS PRISSY;
STRAY CATS FILM CLIP, STRAY CAT STRUT;
STRAY CATS FILM CLIP, RUNAWAY BOYS;
STRAY CATS FILM CLIP, ROCK THIS TOWN;
NICK LOWE FILM CLIP, I LOVE THE SOUND OF BREAKING GLASS;
NICK LOWE FILM CLIP, LITTLE HITLER;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, OLIVER'S ARMY;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, NEW LACE SLEEVES;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, LITTLE FOOL;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, CLUBLAND;
ELVIS COSTELLO FILM CLIP, PUMP IT UP;
THE STRANGLERS FILM CLIP, LIVING IN A BEARCAGE;
THE STRANGLERS FILM CLIP, STRAIGHTEN OUT;
THE STRANGLERS FILM CLIP, DUCHESS;
THE STRANGLERS FILM CLIP, STRANGE LITTLE GIRL;
THE STRANGLERS FILM CLIP, GOLDEN BROWN

November 22, 1986
SUZANNE DOWLING INTERVIEWS DAVID SYLVIAN & TALKS ABOUT HIS CAREER WITH ‘JAPAN’ AND AS A SOLO ARTIST SHOWING CLIPS ‘SWING’, ‘NIGHTPORTER’, ‘VISIONS OF CHINA’, ‘RED GUITAR’ & ‘SILVER MOON’. OTHER VIDEO CLIPS SHOWN ARE HUNTERS & COLLECTORS ‘THE WAY TO GO OUT’, ‘I BELIEVE’, ‘EVERYTHING’S ON FIRE’ AND ‘IS THERE ANYBODY IN THERE’ AND SWEETHEARTS OF THE RODEO ‘SINCE I FOUND YOU’

Re: 'rage goes retro' 2 - FULL ARCHIVAL INFO on TWO of the ROCK ARENA episodes being screened

This may be the 1989 Rock Arena:

2. ID: 256164 - ROCK ARENA - PROGRAM Email Sales about this item

Duration: 1.12.50

Summary: NONE ENTERED

More details

Personalities: SUZANNE DOWLING, HOST;STEVE EARLE, MUSICIAN;PAUL HARRIS, INTERVIEWER;LUC BESSON, FILM DIRECTOR;JEAN RENO, ACTOR;ENYA, SINGER;PRINCE, SINGER;TISM (THIS IS SERIOUS MUM), ROCK GROUP;BIG BAM BOO, ROCK GROUP;RANDY NEWMAN, MUSICIAN;PAINTERS & DOCKERS, ROCK GROUP;SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES, ROCK GROUP

Shotlist: SUZANNE DOWLING HOSTS MUSIC PROGRAM WHICH INCLUDES MUSIC VIDEO CLIPS, TISM (THIS IS SERIOUS MUM) LIVE IN CONCERT AT THE CLUB, AND PAUL HARRIS IV WITH LUC BESSON, ACTOR & JEAN RENO, DIRECTOR "THE BIG BLUE";0.02.00 OPENING TITLES;0.02.28 "COPPERHEAD ROAD" STEVE EARLE;0.06.56 DOWLING LINK;0.07.56 "ORINOCO FLOW" ENYA;0.11.26 DOWLING LINK;0.11.56 "I WISH YOU HEAVEN" PRINCE;0.14.40 "LITTLE RED CORVETTE" PRINCE;0.17.40 DOWLING LINK;0.18.26 "ANARCHY MEANS CROSSING THE ROAD WHEN I SAY DON'T WALK" TISM;0.20.06 "FORTY YEARS THEN DEATH" TISM;0.23.57 VS MOCK AUCTION MAN AT MIC ON STAGE (INTERCUT THROUGHOUT REST OF TISM CONCERT);0.25.21 "SATURDAY NIGHT PALSY" TISM;0.28.43 "DEFECATE ON MY FACE" TISM;0.31.40 "I DRIVE A TRUCK" TISM;0.35.50 "ROOT" TISM;0.38.58 DOWLING LINK;0.39.35 "FELL OFF A MOUNTAIN" BIG BAM BOO;0.43.08 DOWLING LINK;0.43.31 VS CLIP FROM MOVIE "THE BIG BLUE";0.45.03 VS IV BESSON & RENO RE FILM "THE BIG BLUE", BESSON'S STYLE OF FILM MAKING;0.53.27 DOWLING LINK;0.54.05 "IT'S MONEY THAT MATTERS" RANDY NEWMAN;0.58.31 "THAT'S WHY I LOVE MANKIND" RANDY NEWMAN;1.01.55 DOWLING LINK;1.02.41 "SAFE SEX" PAINTERS & DOCKERS;1.06.40 DOWLING LINK;1.07.15 "PEEK A BOO" SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES;1.10.24 "HAPPY HOUSE" SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES;1.14.14 END CREDITS

Re: 'rage goes retro' 2 - FULL ARCHIVAL INFO on TWO of the ROCK ARENA episodes being screened

Very much looking forward to Retro 2- also a big fan of Japan and the Stranglers.The 89 episode is not too bad if you record and FF through the TISM rubbish and just watch the Prince and Siouxsie Sioux clips

I am a HUGE Japan fan and Sylvian and love The Stranglers ... BUT ... in the case of the 1983 Episode, rage play Elvis Costello A LOT as well as The Stranglers and as for TISM, they only played a Rock Aren performance half hour special after the repeat of the TISM 90's Guest Programming last year. So it's a bit annoying ...
But I have requested the David Sylvian interview for yearrrrrrs!* So I am so PLEASED *

I'd prefer rage avoid 1989 at all costs if possible! Especially in the case of Rock Arena. But that episode Nathan posted looks okaaaay. Big Bam Boo are cool, I have one of their videos.

But AGAIN, the TISM show was played on rage only about 6 months or so ago on rage after the TISM programming. A tad lazy ...

I'm thrilled rage are focusing on the year 1989. An early memory I've got is my dad having beta videos filled with music clips and programs from then.

I'm not, it's absolute CRAP!

I am awake at 4:55 and for the last hour we have been ROBBED of another Rock Arena or a Countdown or TWO Countdown Revolutions if rage wanted to concentrate on 1989.

An hour repeat of a useless Top 10 they played on Saturday morning.

And there was no need for the last 1989 Rock Arena, totally bland as bland can be.

The first two Rock Arena's started off great and then downhill from there.

I tuned out when the 1989 episode started- like that era but can't stand TISM

On the plus side the 1986 episode was great enjoyed the Japan /Sylvian videos particularly "Silver Moon" which I hadn't heard. An amazing song/video

Yep, I tuned out on 1989 RA as well. Awful.

I am SO glad to have the Sylvian episode FINALLLLLLY !!!!!!!!!

And I did enjoy the 1983 episode as well as I loved the Dave Edmunds selections.

Interesting to see people's different points of view. Whilst I agree week 2 was a bit of a bummer I still got something out of it. The 3 H & C clips were good. Been years since I saw those. Also that Black Sorrows set was also cool. A much younger Vicka & Linda. I enjoyed watching that set.

I was one of the only ones that got something out of rage goes retro 2. Whilst the first Rock Arena had clips many see on rage all the time, I love the Rock Arena format and I've always been a Rock Arena fan since the 80s.

And as for episode two, I certainly got A LOT out of it as I requested that episode. Certainly not for Hunters And Collectors as I only like their first two albums when they were Post Punk/New Wave. Me being a HUUUGE Japan and David Sylvian fan was my reason for requesting that episode and I am one happy boy to finally have the interview that Suzanne so very gracefully conducted with KING SYLVIAN!

It takes a certain sophisticated musical palate to appreciate Japan and Sylvian and I luckily have that sophisticated musical palet unlike most Australian bogans as I am European/Irish and English.

I fortunately tuned out and pressed stop on my DVD Recorder on the awful 1989 RA, I loathe Vika and Linda and The Black Sorrows. Jo Jo Zep was SO GREAT in the Falcons and was STUNNING solo and then came that travesty!

I got plenty out of it as well even though it was just the two RA's.