Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage VAULT updates on Facebook

Gary
Thanks Nathan will be keeping an eye on the vault from now on. Most of the ones I missed look interesting the new romantic artists in particular
Hmmm next week's vault seems to have the theme of Red Eye Records = not very exciting.

A brief Google tells me that's an indie record label. If so yeah blah.

From instagram:

Tonight on the VAULT we’re taking a trip into the beautiful world of director Sophie Muller. Expect to see videos by No Doubt, Blur, Sade, Annie Lennox and more. 1:55am on @abctv 🍊 #sophiemuller #watchingrage #rageabcvault

EURYTHMICS Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)
EURYTHMICS I Need A Man
EURYTHMICS Don’t Ask Me Why
ANNIE LENNOX Little Bird
ANNIE LENNOX Why
ANNIE LENNOX and AL GREEN Put A Little Love In Your Heart
SADE Love Is Stronger Than Pride
SADE Nothing Can Come Between Us
SADE No Ordinary Love
SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER Run Silent Run Deep
SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER You're History
SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER Stay
SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER Break My Heart
SINEAD O'CONNOR Emperor's New Clothes
CURE, THE The 13th
BJORK Venus As A Boy
HOLE Miss World
WEEZER Say It Ain't So
JEFF BUCKLEY So Real
JESUS and MARY CHAIN, THE Sometimes Always
JESUS and MARY CHAIN, THE Come On
STONE ROSES Ten Storey Love Song
LIGHTNING SEEDS, THE What If
BLUR Song 2
BLUR Beetlebum
SUPERGRASS Mary
PJ HARVEY Good Fortune
NO DOUBT Don't Speak
NO DOUBT Sunday Morning
NO DOUBT Simple Kind Of Life
JAMES IHA Be Strong Now
SEMISONIC Secret Smile
RUFUS WAINWRIGHT April Fools
MAXWELL Luxury: Cococure
NATALIE MERCHANT featuring N'DEA DAVENPORT Break Your Heart
SADE By Your Side
UTE LEMPER The Case Continues

Looks like early 1996 is the theme.

Coming up on the VAULT tonight Smashing Pumpkins, Joan Osborne, Everything But The Girl, Deborah Cox, Garbage, Everclear and more. 12:50am on @abctv #watchingrage #rageabcvault #1996

JILL SOBULE Supermodel
DEEP BLUE SOMETHING Breakfast At Tiffany's
MELISSA ETHERIDGE I Want To Come Over
JOAN OSBORNE One Of Us
TORI AMOS Caught A Lite Sneeze
EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL Missing
SOPHIE B HAWKINS Right Beside You
M PEOPLE Itchycoo Park
TLC Diggin' On You
DEBORAH COX Sentimental
SHAGGY Boombastic
RANCID Ruby Soho
GREEN DAY Stuck With Me
EVERCLEAR Santa Monica
PRESIDENTS OF THE USA, THE Peaches
MIKE FLOWERS POPS, THE Wonderwall
DEFINITION OF SOUND Pass The Vibes
BABYLON ZOO Spaceman
GARBAGE Stupid Girl
SMASHING PUMPKINS 1979
HOLE Softer Softest
ALICE IN CHAINS Heaven By Your Side

Wish rage would do a black & white 90s vault. 80s would be good too, but i think a 90s would get the rage team more keen. Just to name a few below, and please feel free to add to the list your suggestions!

Man on the moon - REM
Vogue - Madonna
**** i wish i was your Lover - Sophie B Hawkins
Alive - Pearl Jam
Strong Enough - Sheryl Crow
Wonderwall - Oasis
Drive - REM
Bang & Blame - REM
Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson (yes, i know released in 1989, but a hit in 1990 and if rage can get it wrong at times, so can i)
Give It Away - RHCP
Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
Tip of my Tongue - Diesel
Ring Ring Ring - De La Soul

REM seemed to have a thing for B&W clips

So I recorded what I think was a preview of the next vault on Saturday morning. It was advertised as "psychedelic" but some of the clips were not what I would call psychedelic like "Coming Up" by McCartney. It's possible that I recorded the wrong program not sure?

Gary
So I recorded what I think was a preview of the next vault on Saturday morning. It was advertised as "psychedelic" but some of the clips were not what I would call psychedelic like "Coming Up" by McCartney. It's possible that I recorded the wrong program not sure?
No, the final hour of Saturday morning (11am-12pm currently) of rage contains a preview of the Saturday night program (guest programmer or special). Of late, it is usually only the final half-hour that is the preview, with rage airing a selection of videos related to a theme for the first half-hour - the exception being when Saturday night is a 'special', such as the (repeated) psychedelic special this weekend just gone.

What you were referring to (the segment with 'Coming Up') is the 10 to ~10:30am Saturday morning segment, which is a preview of Monday night's vault episode. The theme for this week is 1980. The playlist of the (rather short) vault episode was posted on the rage website last week, owing to the Christmas break:

https://www.abc.net.au/rage/playlist/monday-night-28-december-2020-on-abc-1/13004776

Since Saturday morning rage has been interrupted by the ABC airing news between 7am and 10am, the 10-10:30am slot has always been a preview of the following week's vault episode.

Thanks...just looked at the Rage website and just seven songs. Still worth it for the Hot Chocolate video,don't think I'd seen that one and don't think it was a hit in Australia despite almost making number one in the UK

Love Thy Will Be Done - Martika

I don't understand why don't they show old Countdown episodes on the Monday night that people have been requesting? Do they deliberately hold them back for the January "Rage Goes Retro" programs? Are they difficult to track down? Is it too much work???

Surely it would be more interesting than a bunch of video clips we've seen a zillion times? I'd even settle for some Countdown Revolution/Factory stuff if push came to shove.

Ryan Bryant
I don't understand why don't they show old Countdown episodes on the Monday night that people have been requesting? Do they deliberately hold them back for the January "Rage Goes Retro" programs? Are they difficult to track down? Is it too much work???

Surely it would be more interesting than a bunch of video clips we've seen a zillion times? I'd even settle for some Countdown Revolution/Factory stuff if push came to shove.
Um, except the vault has shown many rare and not-aired-on-rage since they were new releases/in the charts videos over the last 5 and a bit years on the Monday night vault episodes.

It's only during the retro month Saturday morning slots and in-between retro program videos on Saturday night that we get a bunch of common clips that they've aired in recent years. Same with the Mardi Gras specials of recent years, which have been c r a p/full of commonly-aired/repeated videos (it was once an opportunity for them to dig out some seldom-seen videos).

1980 is next week's vault theme, going by the Saturday morning preview.

10:00am

STEPHANIE MILLS Never Knew Love Like This Before (20th Century Fox)
BOZ SCAGGS Jojo (CBS)
LEO SAYER Once In A While (Chrysalis)
GLENN CARDIER Expectations (Infinity)
THE POLICE De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (A & M Records)
PLASTIC BERTRAND Telephone A Telephone Mon Bijou (RCA)
ABBA On And On And On (RCA Victor)

Don't think I can recall "Once In A While" which was probably the follow up to "More Than I Can Say" or the Plastic Bertrand one