Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Absolutely NO Countdown Revolution next week for the 90's

rage responded me regarding the 90's special next weekend for 'rage goes retro 4' : I asked if Countdown Revolution would be played with any 1990 Episodes and they said, NO, no Countdown on weekend 4.

I replied that Countdown and Countdown Revolution were two seperate shows but they see Countdown Revolution as Countdown it seems.

They also replied to Nathan who also posts on this Forum: Saying he won't be disappointed next weekend but I think he will be!

rage made a point about how the Teenagers of the mid 90s or so want to see their stuff as well but with rage not playing Recovery what is there? The 10:30 Slot? Or just Music Videos, who knows. It's a bit of a mess!.

I did make a point that that generation are not loyal watchers in January like us who grew up in the 70's and 80's and that I doubt they really care. And how only some of them want Recovery and they are pleased to get them outside of January.

But, there is no reasoning so I guess I and we should be happy with what we get. It's just 11 months of waiting, arghhhhhh!!!!!

Re: Absolutely NO Countdown Revolution next week for the 90's

I think they don't understand. I was a teenager in the early 90's and have no desire to watch 90s video clips on a Sat night. Most teenagers of the 90s would prefer 80's and discovering real artists. Artists that wrote their own songs, created their own image, played instruments.

Oops, yes that's me above. Stuffed up the text on Author.

I was 15 in 1990 and 19 in 1994 and I hated the 90's. I grew up in the 80's watching Countdown, Sounds, The Noise, Rock Arena, Wavelength, Between The Teeth, Rock Around The World, The Factory, MTV, Video Hits, Countdown Revolution etc ...

And listened to 3RRR, 3PBS, EON FM, 3XY etc in the 80s and bought records in the 80s and on NYE 1989 I was so upset the 80's were ending. So whether or not I was a teenager for 5 years of the 90's I'd already grown up with my generation of 80s music.

I'm into lots of 90's bands but the brit pop variety rather than the JJJ variety. As much as I like the Pumpkins Blur et al they don't feel retro in the way that the 70's and 80's do.

Some Brit Pop was okay, I liked Blur but as much as I tried to get into it I was going to New ROmantic, New Wave CLub nights in the 90s and still being creative visually as I am still now. All of it comes back to 1979-195 for me. It's where my soul is.

And even though the 90s were 30 years ago, anything past 1991 in January just doesn't feel 'retro' like the 70's and 80's do just like you said.

If rage were to play at the latest Countdown Revolution from 1990 that still feels a bit retro as it obviously has the 'Countdown' tag and you get to see bands and artists from the 80s who were still releasing new material in 1990 etc ...

I reckon it's either going to be 1990s rage guest programmer segments with videos they selected, or just music videos from the 90s. If it's the latter, they could do that for any vault episode, and I hope it covers a variety of music - *not* just the alternative, Triple J-type stuff they always play for anything '90s'. I do like *some* of that music, but you can catch it any week on rage.

Maybe they could air a random week's rage top 50 chart or something, but it wouldn't quite be 'retro', as it's not like they (I assume) would have kept copies of episodes of rage from back then, with the different font style etc.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Some Brit Pop was okay, I liked Blur but as much as I tried to get into it I was going to New ROmantic, New Wave CLub nights in the 90s and still being creative visually as I am still now. All of it comes back to 1979-195 for me. It's where my soul is.

And even though the 90s were 30 years ago, anything past 1991 in January just doesn't feel 'retro' like the 70's and 80's do just like you said.

If rage were to play at the latest Countdown Revolution from 1990 that still feels a bit retro as it obviously has the 'Countdown' tag and you get to see bands and artists from the 80s who were still releasing new material in 1990 etc ...
I completely get that, I'll always be a child of the 80's as that's when I seriously got into music buying 45's collecting charts etc. I don't have that deeply emotional connection with the 90's

It's just bizarre as it sound just like 90s Music Videos which rage could have easily done for a VAULT special.

That was meant to read: 1979 -1985!

I totally agree with you Jason and others. In 1990 I was in year 10 & also would say that Countdown Revolution is the ONLY 90's music show that I would be interested in seeing. I used to watch Recovery, circa 1996-1999 & yes it was OK I guess, had some funny bits & some good JJJ type Oz bands - but as I say, OK, not brilliant. 1990 was a fantastic year in music & from late 1991 onwards my interest in "new" music began to wane & all of sudden I began rediscovering the awesome 80's, that at the time I took for granted. It wasn't until looking back in hindsight just how fantastic the 80's were.

I wonder whether the ABC programmers read this forum?

1988 was the BIG change for me with music and TV programmes. Countdown disappeared from our screens, although it was on its way out in 1987. The 80s feel in music was changing into Stock, Aitken & Waterman conveyer belt drivel, boy bands and rap (spelt with a silent C). I don't know what the ABC were thinking when they axed Countdown, and replaced it with the shows that followed. I did watch Video Hits in the late 809s/early 90s because it played the odd Classic Hit ... namely 70s & 80s. :grinning:

Who pulled the plug on Countdown and why? Were the ratings declining?

Matt73
I totally agree with you Jason and others. In 1990 I was in year 10 & also would say that Countdown Revolution is the ONLY 90's music show that I would be interested in seeing. I used to watch Recovery, circa 1996-1999 & yes it was OK I guess, had some funny bits & some good JJJ type Oz bands - but as I say, OK, not brilliant. 1990 was a fantastic year in music & from late 1991 onwards my interest in "new" music began to wane & all of sudden I began rediscovering the awesome 80's, that at the time I took for granted. It wasn't until looking back in hindsight just how fantastic the 80's were.

I wonder whether the ABC programmers read this forum?
I used to sometimes channel flick between Recovery and other things (probably Video Hits) - not for the full episode by any means, but if I had the TV on on a Saturday morning.

I remember thinking, at the time, that Recovery was car-crash TV; the hosts were so shockingly bad. You almost expected the show to get axed mid-program, it was that bad. The hosts seemed to treat it like a joke, as though the whole thing was beneath them, but going along with it anyway for 'irony'. The audience seemed to hate being there, too; they always looked so bored (can you blame them?).

Then there was the stupid Enforer, the ultra-cheap looking sets, the inane interviews (and you thought Molly was bad...)... I mean, asking Shirley Manson from Garbage what she thought of The Enforcer?!

The acts who appeared were mostly Triple J-type Australian bands.

And the worst - a whole 3 hours of the above. Every week.

Gary
This is only my uninformed speculation, but it seemed to me that Molly was never on set for the 1987 episodes. He was always in America or in Europe, trying to interview someone. Maybe he wanted to step away from it? I'm thinking that he also probably had declining interest in new music, just like us now, being the age that he was then.

ohnoitisnathan
Gary
This is only my uninformed speculation, but it seemed to me that Molly was never on set for the 1987 episodes. He was always in America or in Europe, trying to interview someone. Maybe he wanted to step away from it? I'm thinking that he also probably had declining interest in new music, just like us now, being the age that he was then.
Quite possible it was Molly, though not sure what his opinion was of music circa 1987. The new bands of the late 80's were pretty bland although I did like Bros

Talking about bad interviews on that show - I remember seeing Dylan Lewis interview Craig Lowndes in 1996 and Lowndesy's career in Supercars (as we now know it as) was only just gaining traction. The thing is Dylan knew nothing about the sport or Craig, he obviously hadn't done his homework before the interview & kept pronouncing the motorsport legend's name as to him as "Craig Lown-dess". Seriously..:flushed:

Matt73
Talking about bad interviews on that show - I remember seeing Dylan Lewis interview Craig Lowndes in 1996 and Lowndesy's career in Supercars (as we now know it as) was only just gaining traction. The thing is Dylan knew nothing about the sport or Craig, he obviously hadn't done his homework before the interview & kept pronouncing the motorsport legend's name as to him as "Craig Lown-dess". Seriously..:flushed:
I think the most-awkward thing I saw on Recovery was Louise, former member of Eternal, appearing on the show in 1997 to promote her solo single/album. Such a big mismatch for Recovery; it would be like 1988 Kylie Minogue appearing on it. From memory, Dylan interviewed Louise, too, and pretended to be interested in her music/what she had to say.

I also found Jane Gazzo's stares into the camera really awkward, as if she was thinking 'what the f u c k am I doing here?!'