Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage goes retro - One Countdown and Beatbox (Tuesday 29th January, 2019)

Wow, yes i remember 'Between The Teeth' too. It was still playing around August/September '87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley's follow up to 'Looking for a New Love' ...'Still A Thrill' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet's 'The Pleasure Principle'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.

Luuuc
I *loved* me some MC Tee Vee.
Me too.

For reasons I don't understand, rage re-digitise Countdown episodes that are repeated, from the source tapes, rather than air the presumably already-digitised copy they have. It happened when the Christmas 1986 episode was repeated a couple of years back (after first airing on rage in 2009), and obviously again with this 1982 episode, as it was stretched beyond the 4:3 area, and also has the post-2011 form of rage encoding, with the larger and less-sharp rage logo and lettering.

So, if it looked worse in quality, it probably was, as the source tape would have aged another 17 years between now and when it last aired. How weird to think that almost the same amount of time (17 years) has elapsed between now and 2002, and 1982 and 2002.

Michael
Wow, yes i remember 'Between The Teeth' too. It was still playing around August/September '87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley's follow up to 'Looking for a New Love' ...'Still A Thrill' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet's 'The Pleasure Principle'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.
YES,

I too LOOOOVED the Big Teeth that would appear and eat up the title of the Artist, Band and Single in the beginning and end of the video clip.

It is SUCH an UNDERRATED ABC GEM of a Music program.

I have wanted repeats for years and see only two episodes exist in the archives :-(

I recorded The Human League's 'I Need Your Loving' as a new single from there as well as Spanga's 'Call Me'.

They played so many Dance Records!

Brad
Matt73
\"Between The Teeth\" LOL! I clean had forgotten all about that show, but certainly remember the intro to it, but not much else! 1986 was it? Well there you go!Do you remember the show \"Home\" with the theme song \"Home, Home, Home is where the heart is\"? 1983 from memory. It\'s about the only show my sister and I would watch that we both liked - everything else would end up in a fight, particularly when it came to who liked the best music :smile:
I had forgotten 'Between The Teeth' too.
And remember some of the other music shows on ABC and SBS, like 'Edge Of The Wedge', 'The Noise' and 'MC Tee Vee'? And 'Max Headroom' on ABC would have music videos.

I remember 'Home', too. I'd love to see it again. It had Maxine Klibingaitis in it, who was a favourite of mine in Prisoner.
The Noise <3 <3 <3

I watched and recorded videos and performances from The Noise religiously. It was THE THE THE best program for Underground material.

I still have a Duran Duran 'Live for The Tube' concert on VHS I recorded from The Noise <3

The Noise played LOTS of performances from the AMAZING UK program The Tube.

They played so much Dance Music, Underground Gems, Funk, New Wave and later on House Music.

Annette Shun Wah was IT ! ! ! ! ! ... If only SBS could play The Noise re-runs, if they still have them. I would be in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, HEAVEN !!!!!! Annettes fabulous hair would change with each episode. The Noises best period was 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988. Went a bit downhill after that due to music getting less original and interesting ...

Michael
I thought Between The Teeth mainly went during 1986 as 1986 was when I most recorded videos from there. Though amazing you saw Jody Watley's GENIUS 'Still A Thrill" and Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle on there, Janet's BEST single!

I am seeing Jody Watley in April in London with Meet and Greet, I can't wait! Still A Thrill is Andre Cymone FUNk * GEEEENIUS! ANd the video made in paris in Black & WHite is simply GLORIOUS CLASS!

ohnoitisnathan
Luuuc
I *loved* me some MC Tee Vee.
Me too.

For reasons I don't understand, rage re-digitise Countdown episodes that are repeated, from the source tapes, rather than air the presumably already-digitised copy they have. It happened when the Christmas 1986 episode was repeated a couple of years back (after first airing on rage in 2009), and obviously again with this 1982 episode, as it was stretched beyond the 4:3 area, and also has the post-2011 form of rage encoding, with the larger and less-sharp rage logo and lettering.

So, if it looked worse in quality, it probably was, as the source tape would have aged another 17 years between now and when it last aired. How weird to think that almost the same amount of time (17 years) has elapsed between now and 2002, and 1982 and 2002.
Could the re-digitising possibly be due to rage retro month switching from SD to HD in 2017?

Annette was also on the SBS show "Eat Carpet" at times I believe.

Nathan, I often think about what you were saying about how 2002 was 17 years ago & that 17 years before that was 1985. Very bizarre, as the understanding of time from 1985 to 2002 seems much longer than 2002 to 2019 seems. I guess that's just a case of time going quicker the older you get :man:

Jason "The Moderator"
Michael
Wow, yes i remember \'Between The Teeth\' too. It was still playing around August/September \'87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley\'s follow up to \'Looking for a New Love\' ...\'Still A Thrill\' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet\'s \'The Pleasure Principle\'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.
I thought Between The Teeth mainly went during 1986 as 1986 was when I most recorded videos from there. Though amazing you saw Jody Watley's GENIUS 'Still A Thrill" and Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle on there, Janet's BEST single!

I am seeing Jody Watley in April in London with Meet and Greet, I can't wait! Still A Thrill is Andre Cymone FUNk * GEEEENIUS! ANd the video made in paris in Black & WHite is simply GLORIOUS CLASS!
Still A Thrill was an interesting follow up and video - love it! I recorded it on BTT and then transsferred it to audio tape - the old tape recorder up to the TV :smile: I would religiously seek any music show on TV after Countdown ended and because Canberra only had one commercial station up until 1989 it was the ABC music shows that kept me going with Between The Teeth and The Factory then the rage Top 50.

Brad
BEATBOX June 15, 1985 (Beargarden, The Stranglers, Cathy McQuade) (ABC)

Interesting to see 'Working Class Man' by Jimmy Barnes aired so early, unless the dating is incorrect. Everything else about it does seem mid-1985 though.
He hadn't even released 'I'd Die To Be With You Tonight' until 26 August, then 'Working Class Man' on 11 November!
Brad, this stumps me as well. :thinking_face: I can only assume the record company had it down as a new release and then pulled it and went with I'd Die To Be With You Tonight instead???? But still IDTBWYT would have been a very early release if we're talking June '85. Working Class Man was shown pretty much as a new video on Countdown in Dec '85.