Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Factory - Episodes 1 - 72 + Pilot

The Hallmark Channel (now no longer) used to air ACP in the early noughties.

I have memories of that 29th Oct 1988 episode as well, on which I saw/heard Transvision Vamp's 'Revolution Baby' (a clip I selected for my Rage playlist) for the first time. I remember thinking it was bizarre that there was a follow-up to 'I Want Your Love' so soon (after about only 6 weeks).

Jason 'The Moderator'

This episode of The Factory was the day after I went to see Bros. That means I saw Bros on Friday 18th, October at Melbourne Tennis Centre!!! :-) THANKS for the date!

I'm sure it was a typo, but the 28th was the Friday before.

Jason 'The Moderator'

I used to go from ABC to 7

I too used to channel flick between 'The Factory' and 'Saturday Morning Live' with Jonno & Danno, and subsequently seem to have missed a lot of stuff, like Shakespear's Sister's 'Break My Heart' video premiering on The Factory on Dec 10th, 1988 - much earlier than I expected it would have first screened in Australia. I see they also aired Kylie's 'Made In Heaven' on the same episode - I had no idea there was even a video for this until about 2002

I know I don't need to say it, but looking at these playlists, how much BETTER is 'The Factory' to 'Recovery'/'10:30 Slot' and their ilk? It's a shame Rage have hardly touched 'The Factory' in their retro months, opting to air $hite like Recovery/10:30 Slot when it's 7-13 years *newer* than The Factory! What a warped perception of 'retro' they have.

Michael
That was the only Annette video I could find on YouTube. Does anyone know if there are any others?

The Kim Wilde performance on The Factory is on YouTube.

Sean, if possible, I would like to get a copy of your Tania skits. Will pay for your efforts.

Wendy James/Transvision Vamp in the studio, I remember that well. At that age, I thought it was amazing that this band was on the show as their video 'I Want Your Love' was high in the charts. Ahh the memories....

October 29 1988 Ep 52:

THIS WEEK THE FACTORY IS VISITED BY BROS, WENDY JAMES, WITH LIVE MUSIC BY WA WA NEE AND PSEUDO ECHO.

A LOOK AT MAGIC WEEK & REPORTS THAT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE IS SINKING, IV WITH DOUG WIMBISH & REGULAR SEGMENTS INCLUDING MUSIC CLIPS, FILM & VIDEO REVIEWS

09.00.08 VS TITLES & TEASERS;
09.01.28 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
09.01.49 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'I WANT YOUR LOVE' BY TRANSVISION VAMP;
09.04.56 VS DADDO INTRODUCES WA WA NEE PERFORMING LIVE 'CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF';
09.09.19 VS LACY IN STREET TRIES TO DO MAGIC, LACY TALKS TO MAGICIAN TIM ALLANS;
09.11.20 VS LACY AT MELBOURNE AIRPORT WITH AUDIENCE RE BROS ARRIVAL, CA BROS GETTING OFF PLANE;
09.14.29 VS PAPPS IV PAUL & STEVE FROM WA WA NEE RE NEW ALBUM;
09.16.41 FF#2 MUSIC CLIP 'SECRET GARDEN' BY T'PAU;
09.20.28 VS FASHION MODELS;
09.21.33 VS LACY RE BROS;
09.23.23 VS PAPPS & AUDIENCE;
09.23.57 VS DADDO OUTSIDE STUDIOS WITH AUDIENCE;
09.24.43 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'HEART OF GLASS' BY THE ASSOCIATES;
09.28.40 VS MUELLER AT OPERA HOUSE RE RUMOUR THAT IT'S SINKING VOX POP TOURISTS & SECURITY OFFICER;
09.31.07 'BLACK & WHITERS' B&W FTG DIVER TIMING HOW LONG HE CAN STAY UNDER WATER CA AUDIENCE;
09.32.34 VS DADDO;
09.33.23 FF#12 EXCERPT FROM FILM 'TOM & JERRY VI';
09.34.58 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
09.36.11 FF#4 MUSIC CLIP 'FIRST BOY IN THIS TOWN (LOVESICK) BY SCRITTI POLITTI;
09.40.24 VS LACY 'ANNETTE';
09.42.20 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
09.43.05 FF#3 MUSIC CLIP 'NOTHING CAN DIVIDE US' BY JASON DONOVAN;
09.46.40 VS LACY ON STREET TALKS TO MAGICIANS DOES TRICK;
09.49.10 VS OVERLAY NEWS & WEATHER;
09.50.15 VS LACY 'CARLOS';
09.51.35 VS DADDO & PAPPS DO COOKING SEGMENT;
09.52.33 VS BROS ARRIVING AT ABC STUDIOS;
09.53.26 FF#5 MUSIC CLIP 'I OWE YOU NOTHING' BY BROS;
09.59.55 VS DADDO & PAPPS IV BROS MEMBERS CRAIG, LUKE & MATT;
10.02.47 FF#6 MUSIC CLIP 'STOP' BY CRASH POLITICS;
10.05.35 VS LACY ON STREET WITH MAGICIAN;
10.08.33 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH BROS;
10.09.41 VS LACY ON FOOT PATH VOX POP SHOE PRICES CA SHOES ON PEOPLE'S FEET;
10.15.20 VS MUELLER VOX POP SHOES;
10.17.40 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'CROSSROADS' BY SCARY BILL;
10.20.39 VS DADDO WITH WENDY JAMES FROM TRANSVISION VAMP;
10.23.05 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'REVOLUTION BABY' BY TRANSVISION VAMP;
10.26.59 VS DADDO;
10.27.51 FF#8 EXCERPT FROM FILM 'INVASION EARTH';
11.29.00 VS FASHION MODELS;
11.30.06 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH BROS;
10.32.33 FF#7 MUSIC CLIP 'IF I COULD' BY 1927;
10.35.48 END TAPE ONE;
10.36.10 VS LARGE SHIP IN ICY WATER, PEOPLE WATCHING WHALE FROM ICE;
10.37.38 VS DADDO;
10.38.32 FF#13 EXCERPT FROM FILM 'A FISH CALLED WANDA';
10.39.44 VS DADDO;
10.40.23 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH BROS;
10.44.06 FF#5 MUSIC CLIP 'I QUIT' BY BROS CA BROS SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS;
10.47.29 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
10.48.46 FF#8 MUSIC CLIP 'RUBBER LOVE' BY BIG STORM;
10.52.16 VS FASHION MODELS;
10.53.17 'BLACK & WHITERS' B&W FTG EUROPEAN PULLING COMPETITION BETWEEN TWO MEN CA AUDIENCE;
10.54.00 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH WEDNY JAMES;
10.54.50 VS OVERLAY NEWS & WEATHER;
10.55.54 FF#9 MUSIC CLIP 'EDGE OF A BROKEN HEART' BY VIXEN;
11.00.05 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH JAMES;
11.04.12 'COBWEBS' VS LENG RE THE KINKS CA MUSIC CLIPS;
11.11.30 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'COME DANCING' BY THE KINKS;
11.13.23 VS DADDO & PAPPS WITH JAMES CA AUDIENCE;
11.15.41 FF#7 MUSIC CLIP 'I'M GONNA BE (500 MILES) BY THE PROCLAIMERS;
11.19.10 FF#13 EXCERPT FROM FILM 'TOPPER';
11.20.25 MCU MERVIN MAGEE RE FILM 'TOPPER';
11.21.19 FF#13 EXCERPT FROM FILM 'TOPPER';
11.21.22 FF#10 MUSIC CLIP 'I DON'T WANT YOUR LOVE BY DURAN DURAN;
11.25.21 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
11.26.57 VS PSEUDO ECHO PERFORMING LIVE 'FOOLED AGAIN';
11.30.50 VS DADDO IV PSEUDO ECHO RE NEW ALBUM;
11.32.41 VS LENG IV DOUG WIMBISH RE HIP HOP MUSIC & BANDS GRAND MASTER & TACKHEAD CA MUSIC CLIPS;
11.38.30 FF#11 MUSIC CLIP 'TAKE IT SO HARD' BY KEITH RICHARDS;
11.41.48 VS DADDO & PAPPS DO COOKING SEGMENT CA AUDIENCE;
11.45.36 FF#7 MUSIC CLIP '(NOTHING BUT) FLOWERS BY TALKING HEADS;
11.49.52 FF#1 MUSIC CLIP 'DON'T SAY NO' BY TOM TOM CLUB;
11.53.18 VS DADDO & PAPPS;
11.56.32 FF#2 MUSIC CLIP 'JONAH' BY BREATHE OVERLAY CREDITS;
12.00.13 END

Also, I had no idea who this Alex Papps was when The Factory started. We didn't get The Henderson Kids 2.

Easy Michael. I've already put it to dvd. Email me your addy at seanmanley@bigpond.com

Fantastic Sean. Will do today. Cheers.

ohnoitisnathan
I have memories of that 29th Oct 1988 episode as well, on which I saw/heard Transvision Vamp's 'Revolution Baby' (a clip I selected for my Rage playlist) for the first time. I remember thinking it was bizarre that there was a follow-up to 'I Want Your Love' so soon (after about only 6 weeks).

Jason 'The Moderator'

This episode of The Factory was the day after I went to see Bros. That means I saw Bros on Friday 18th, October at Melbourne Tennis Centre!!! :-) THANKS for the date!

I'm sure it was a typo, but the 28th was the Friday before.

Jason 'The Moderator'

I used to go from ABC to 7

I too used to channel flick between 'The Factory' and 'Saturday Morning Live' with Jonno & Danno, and subsequently seem to have missed a lot of stuff, like Shakespear's Sister's 'Break My Heart' video premiering on The Factory on Dec 10th, 1988 - much earlier than I expected it would have first screened in Australia. I see they also aired Kylie's 'Made In Heaven' on the same episode - I had no idea there was even a video for this until about 2002

I know I don't need to say it, but looking at these playlists, how much BETTER is 'The Factory' to 'Recovery'/'10:30 Slot' and their ilk? It's a shame Rage have hardly touched 'The Factory' in their retro months, opting to air $hite like Recovery/10:30 Slot when it's 7-13 years *newer* than The Factory! What a warped perception of 'retro' they have.

Nathan, you just reminded me that I recorded 'Made In Heaven' off this episode onto audio cassette. I still have it and others recorded from this episode and episodes around this time. I made up a special tape called '1989 Be Happy Vol.2' . I have been meaning to transfer it to CD.

Also, it wasn't too long after 'Revolution Baby' that Transvision Vamp released 'Tell That Girl To Shutup' and then came 'Sister Moon' around April '89.

Michael
I made up a special tape called '1989 Be Happy Vol.2' .

A more inventive title than the 'Various '88' name I gave to a cassette I compiled from songs taped off the radio in 1988. I saw an '87 Right On Track vol. 2' Indonesian bootleg cassette listed on eBay recently, which curiously had all of 'Summer '88' plus a few extras on it.

Michael

Also, it wasn't too long after 'Revolution Baby' that Transvision Vamp released 'Tell That Girl To Shutup' and then came 'Sister Moon' around April '89.

Yes 'Sister Moon' was released not long after TTGTSU in Oz.

That reminds me of a great thread on another pop forum I used to read: "Single/album covers that unintentionally tell you all you need to know." Examples:

I wonder if it's too late to put suggestions through to rage for retro month? I'm gonna put this episode of The Factory (29 October 1988) to them, or at least the bits and pieces of Wendy James, Bros and others in the studio. We need some 1988 in retro month! It also features Wa Wa Nee and Pseudo Echo in the studio. So come on Jason and Nathan and others, let's get behind this on the rage facebook.

I've posted it. Please comment on rage facebook. Cheers.

I keep forgetting that's you, Michael... but it was half-sure when I saw the lovely Ronald McDonald profile pic

I requested an episode from March 1989 (mainly 'cause it has a Yazz interview, but there's some other goodies on it too, I think)

edit - ah, its the March 26 1989 Ep 66:

Some 'highlights' from it (for me, anyway):

20.42.42 FF#2 VS THE PROCLAIMERS VIDEOCLIP I'M ON MY WAY;
20.47.29 FF#3 VS HOLLY JOHNSON VIDEOCLIP LOVE TRAIN;
20.58.03 FF#4 VS MARTIKA VIDEOCLIP MORE THAN YOU KNOW;
21.05.07 MCU IV DIVINYLS SINGER CHRISSY AMPHLETT RE CONCERN FOR SYDNEY'S BEACHES & CA'S BEACH;
21.07.26 MCU IV AMPHLETT RE RAISING AWARENESS OF POLLUTION;
21.08.30 FF#5 VS BANANARAMA VIDEOCLIP NATHAN JONES;
21.31.23 VS DADDO & DONOVAN RE DONOVAN'S NEW ALBUM, HIS DECISION TO LEAVE NEIGHBOURS;
22.16.24 FF#6 VS CLIVE YOUNG VIDEOCLIP SOMETHING SPECIAL;
22.23.13 FF#8 VS WA WA NEE PERFORM SOO GOOD LIVE IN THE STUDIO;
22.27.09 FF#6 VS EXCERPT YAZZ UNNAMED VIDEOCLIP;
22.27.27 VS DADDO IV'S YAZZ IN PARIS OVER THE TELEPHONE & FF#20 VS EXCERPTS FROM VARIOUS YAZZ VIDEOCLIPS;

My only worry about our suggestions on the 'post comment to page' section of the Facebook page is that rage seldom acknowledge the posts (unless they're asking simple, easy-to-obtain-the-answers-to questions relating to rage), so who knows whether they pay much attention to them... and they can get quickly buried among inane newer comments.

That's no Ronald McDonald pic, it's just some creepy clown in the drain.

I guess we can only try to get their attention and hopefully giving them a date saves them labour searching through the archives.

I like your suggestion too.

Michael
That's no Ronald McDonald pic, it's just some creepy clown in the drain.

I guess we can only try to get their attention and hopefully giving them a date saves them labour searching through the archives.

I like your suggestion too.

Close enough to Ronald McDonald for me, anyway. It's a great pic.

Yes, I gave Rage the TARA archive no. thingie for my suggestion, too. Though I had forgotten about this thread (which shows much more detail for the episodes than the TARA archive does). Actually I'd love a full night of The Factory & Countdown Revolution, but I'm not going to actually suggest that As long as retro month isn't swamped with Recovery/10:30 Slot episodes, repeats of repeats for the music videos selections, boring live concert footage (like they opened each episode with a couple of years back) or repeat 70s Countdowns (sorry, I'm not that interested in that era), I'll be happy.

Here's a thing. What about full 3 hour episodes of 'The Factory' on ABC2 or ABC3 at night. It will fill up their air time instead of showing rage repeats. Nowhere near as popular than Countdown and because each episode goes for 3 hours they won't have to worry about people madly recording it.

Michael
Here's a thing. What about full 3 hour episodes of 'The Factory' on ABC2 or ABC3 at night. It will fill up their air time instead of showing rage repeats. Nowhere near as popular than Countdown and because each episode goes for 3 hours they won't have to worry about people madly recording it.

Good idea. Though I do like the repeats (only for the retro clips) if I get something on the weekend in the wrong aspect ratio or with a glitch... or it's aired in widescreen, so I can (nearly always) get it without the watermark on ABC3.

But yes, they could air all of this stuff when ABC3 is off air overnight.

Maybe we should also suggest a The Factory special outside of retro month, like they did with the Recovery special a few months ago? Though I guess they could only fit 2 full 3-hour episodes.

Just bumping this thread for Gary who asked how many episodes there were.

Going from memory, there have only been about 3 episodes aired during retro month. One in 2009, one in 2012, and one this year (so far). It's possible I may have forgotten another one or so between 2009 and 2011, but I don't think I have.

I finally watched last weekend's The Factory this morning. I thought I would put it on at 9am Saturday morning and get real nostalgic when it aired at 9am Saturdays. Then to my shock Andrew Daddo talks about it being Sunday morning...what the? When did The Factory move to Sunday's? I didn't ever recall it being on a Sunday back in the day??? That's probably why I don't remember watching it in '89.

Same thing happened to me, Michael. I don't recall ever knowing The Factory had shifted to Sundays, nor watching any 1989 episodes. So I probably thought it had ended long before it did.
I was probably watching the Video Hits top 30 and predictions instead.

Brilliant effort Guru Bob to post these playlists for shows The Factory, GTK and Hitscene. Great to be able to view each show and the details. At least the ABC has done something right and kept a good quantity of classic tv shows in their archives till this day. When I get a chance I will read these completely. Well done. 🙏😊👍🏽

Hallmark on Foxtel.

Channel 7 has aired ACP a few times in the past ten years or so. Not sure if they made it through the entire series though