Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Retro Month

I think this first weekend will feature:

01/11/1981 - Renee Geyer

04/05/1980 - Jon English

08/06/1980 - Daryl Cotton

And the New Zealand special which someone above put the date down for. Don’t know what the 5th episode would be, if there is another episode

rage have mentioned that the Renee Geyer-hosted episode is from 1 November 1981 on their facebook page.

Year: 1981
Date: 01/11/1981
Show no: 308
Summary: POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING LOCAL & OVERSEAS ARTISTS INCLUDES TOP TEN, CHARTBUSTERS AND MOLLY PRESENTS MUSIC NEWS IN 'HUMDRUM'. THIS WEEKS SHOW HOSTED BY RENEE GEYER LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
RENEE GEYER 'DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN'
MIKE RUDD & THE HEATERS 'I'M AN ANIMAL'
BOYS 'WEOH, WEOH, WEOH'
KIM DURANT 'NEVER GO BACK'
LOCAL ARTISTS:
INXS 'STAY YOUNG'
MONDO ROCK 'SUMMER OF 81'
BILLY FIELD 'YOU WEREN'T IN LOVE WITH ME'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
SHAKIN' STEVENS 'GREEN DOOR'
TRIUMPH 'ALLIED FORCES' (PLAYED IN TWO PARTS)
HALL & OATES 'PRIVATE EYES'
GINO VANELLI 'NIGHT WALKER'
TENPOLE TUDOR 'WUNDERBAR'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
MARCIA HINES 'YOUR LOVE STILL BRINGS ME TO MY KNEES'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'PHYSICAL'
PHD 'I WON'T LET YOU DOWN'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'TOO MANY TIMES'
LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA 'HOOKED ON CLASSICS'
ELO 'HOLD ON TIGHT'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'PRINCE CHARMING'
THE ROLLING STONES 'START ME UP'
LIONEL RITCHIE & DIANA ROSS 'ENDLESS LOVE'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
DEVO 'BEAUTIFUL WORLD'
CLIFF RICHARD 'WIRED FOR SOUND'
BILL WYMAN 'JE SUIS UN ROCK STAR'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'PHYSICAL'

The Darryl Cotton-hosted episode is confirmed as 28 June 1981 on the facebook page.

Year: 1981
Date: 28/06/1981
Show no: 291
Summary: GUEST ARTIST IS DARRYL COTTON AND THERE ARE INTERVIEWS WITH KIM CARNES AND SHAKIN STEVENS,BOTH RECORDED IN LONDON WITH CHERRY RIPE.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
SWINGERS 'IT AINT WHAT YOU DANCE'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'IF YOU LEAVE ME CAN I COME TOO'
VOICES 'WISH IT WASNT TRUE'
STOCKINGS 'SHE'S A DEVIL'
DARRYL COTTON & THE DIVERS 'LITTLE RED BOOK'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:BILLY FIELD 'BAD HABITS'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
SHEENA EASTON 'MODERN GIRL'
GEORGE HARRISON 'ALL THOSE YEARS AGO'
FLORENCE WARNER 'I MISS YOUR HEARTBEAT'
KIM CARNES 'BETTE DAVIS EYES'
SHAKIN STEVENS 'THIS OLE HOUSE'
CHARTBUSTERS:
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'THINGS DON'T SEEM'
CHURCH 'UNGUARDED MOMENT'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
SUNNY BOYS 'HAPPY MAN'
AIR SUPPLY 'THE ONE THAT YOU LOVE'
CHAMPAIGN 'HOW ABOUT US'
BALLY HOO 'MAN ON THE MOON'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
JIMMY & THE BOYS 'GIRLFRIEND'
REO SPEEDWAGON 'KEEP ON LOVING YOU'
ROXY MUSIC 'JEALOUS GUY'
STARS ON 45 'STARS ON 45'
NOLANS 'GOTTA PULL MYSELF TOGETHER'
BILLY FIELD 'BAD HABITS'
KIM WILDE 'KIDS IN AMERICA'
LOVER BOY 'TURN ME LOOSE'
SHAKIN STEVENS 'THIS OLE HOUSE'

Has this one aired before? I thought I've seen the 'Little Red Book' performance by Darryl Cotton.

Time to emerge from 11 months of hibernation again. Nice to see all the old faces back again.

The Daryl Cotton hosted episode is definitely 28th June 1981 - as confirmed by ohnoisnathan - given there is a snippet of a Kim Carnes interview on the Rage facebook page. As that is also an episode never repeated (along with 1st November 1981) this weekend is a very good start.

The facebook comments are annoying. Someone asking if the 100th episode of Countdown will ever air again - hasn't it aired at least 6 times already, the last time being the Michael Shrimpton (? might have got the name wrong) tribute in the second half of 2016? Someone else saying Countdown is boring and they want Recovery and the 10:30 slot instead, others asking for 77-79 or 70s episodes of Countdown. Geez, it's like most of these people never actually tune in during retro month. I hope rage ignores them all :laughing:

Not my Daryl Cotton requested episode but looks greaaat!!!! πŸ˜ƒ

The episode with Daryl Cotton with Kim Carnes interview hasn’t been played before, so WOW 😎Can’t wait for this very BLISS on Saturday night this weekend ❤️

Totally agree Nathan - thats the way facebook is unfortunately. Dont think Rage staff pay too much attention to all the drivel posted there.

Looking forward to George Harrison 'All Those Years Ago'. I've never been sure if the one I have is an internet-age creation, but whatever is on a 1981 Countdown will be the real deal.

Week Two is mid-to-late 80s. The blurb is already up on the Rage website, strange they would post this before even week one has finished. The confirmed episode is 1st March 1987. another one that has not been repeated before. Others are hosted by Bob Geldof, John Farnham and Derek Pellicci (of Little River Band fame). Ill let others try to work out what they may be, the later period of Countdown does not hold the same interest for me as the early 80s. Dull as dishwater and full of video clips especially most of 1985 and all of 1986/87.

Brad
Looking forward to George Harrison 'All Those Years Ago'. I've never been sure if the one I have is an internet-age creation, but whatever is on a 1981 Countdown will be the real deal.
I wouldn't be so sure. Countdown have aired at least part of 'All Those Years Ago' before, on a retro month repeat in the last few years, and it looks to me like they just re-used footage of one of his other videos (though I don't know which one). This, I think, was when it was a chart buster and they played about 90 seconds of the clip.

When rage have aired 'All Those Years Ago' as a standalone clip, from memory (I should check), it's just a bunch of stills set to the music; similar to the "video" rage air for Diana Ross's 'Upside Down' or Barbra Streisand's 'Woman In Love'.

A shame George never make an official video for "All Those Years Ago". The 1981 episode looks fantastic. The Stockings:sunglasses: Always enjoy seeing the obscure bands that never made it

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Looking forward to George Harrison \'All Those Years Ago\'. I\'ve never been sure if the one I have is an internet-age creation, but whatever is on a 1981 Countdown will be the real deal.
I wouldn't be so sure. Countdown have aired at least part of 'All Those Years Ago' before, on a retro month repeat in the last few years, and it looks to me like they just re-used footage of one of his other videos (though I don't know which one). This, I think, was when it was a chart buster and they played about 90 seconds of the clip.

When rage have aired 'All Those Years Ago' as a standalone clip, from memory (I should check), it's just a bunch of stills set to the music; similar to the "video" rage air for Diana Ross's 'Upside Down' or Barbra Streisand's 'Woman In Love'.
Yeah, I expect it will just be a "slideshow" video, but what I meant is that all the images used will at least be pre-mid 1981. The clips on youtube could use post-1981 images.

Brad
ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Looking forward to George Harrison \\\'All Those Years Ago\\\'. I\\\'ve never been sure if the one I have is an internet-age creation, but whatever is on a 1981 Countdown will be the real deal.
I wouldn\'t be so sure. Countdown have aired at least part of \'All Those Years Ago\' before, on a retro month repeat in the last few years, and it looks to me like they just re-used footage of one of his other videos (though I don\'t know which one). This, I think, was when it was a chart buster and they played about 90 seconds of the clip.

When rage have aired \'All Those Years Ago\' as a standalone clip, from memory (I should check), it\'s just a bunch of stills set to the music; similar to the \"video\" rage air for Diana Ross\'s \'Upside Down\' or Barbra Streisand\'s \'Woman In Love\'.
Yeah, I expect it will just be a "slideshow" video, but what I meant is that all the images used will at least be pre-mid 1981. The clips on youtube could use post-1981 images.
I'm pretty sure I used some of the Countdown 'video' for 'All Those Years Ago', when it was shown as a chartbuster, in my Australian top 100 singles of 1981 (100 to 51) YouTube video. From memory, it was placed somewhere in the 60s or 70s (on the annual chart, I mean).

I agree Nathan. Some of the Facebook comments are so annoying asking for Recovery, Countdown Revolution and The Factory. I remember trying to endure this tripe back in the day ... very tedious and uninteresting.

Good to see that most comments on Facebook, in relation to Retro Month, are pro-Countdown from some very excited fans.

I'm quite interested to see what videos air on Saturday morning during the 1 hour preview segment. I hope they've dug out some rare videos.

yes well
some great music so far
hope we see 70s dedicated music specials week 3

Well I was looking forward to a 70s week in the third week, how disappointing! Well I am hoping this decade wont be forgotten in the final week ....

Mohntana
Well I was looking forward to a 70s week in the third week, how disappointing! Well I am hoping this decade wont be forgotten in the final week ....
There isn't much left from the 70s to play. it's pretty much exhausted. There isn't much left at all

No unrepeated Countdown's but there are other things like Flashez inserts (and a couple of full episodes?) Hit Scene's, various video's and other random documentaries. Doesn't have to be a dedicated 70's night just include some of the above in the mix.

Gary
No unrepeated Countdown's but there are other things like Flashez inserts (and a couple of full episodes?) Hit Scene's, various video's and other random documentaries. Doesn't have to be a dedicated 70's night just include some of the above in the mix.
Some of us have not seen all of these 70s eps of Countdown, Flashez etc....but if not played on Retro month would be good to see in another slot...