Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown Intro

Hi all, I find it interesting that every single year of Countdown had a different intro, except for 1981 and 1982 being exactly the same. Anyone any idea why this was the case?

Re: Countdown Intro

Budgetary constraints from memory precluded them making a specifically new title sequence at the time, and I also think the production team liked the existing one in any case.

It was most likely adound the time that all the episodes were wiped so they could re-use the tapes.

I too find it interesting that the theme changed every year except those two. But the graphics (or rather, the layout of the video footage used) did change a little during 1981. I noticed this recently when adding a few Countdown intros to an external hard drive and seeing that the layout of the February 1981 intro was different to the June 1981 one.

I think my favourite opening theme was the 1983 one, though the 1981/2 one is iconic.

I like how Countdown changed their introductions each year. At the time, it just signified a new year, I guess. But now, in hindsight, it helps differentiate each year as I enjoy the repeats of such a brilliant show from the 70s and 80s. I guess that's why, for me, it's a little confusing watching 1981 and 1982 episodes and seeing the same introduction. I don't instantly know which year it is.

My favourite introductions are from the early years. I love seeing the 70s introductions. So basic, but so classic! And so 70s! 1978 and 1979 are just so etched in my memory from back then.

In the 80s I like the earlier ones too, especially 1980 and 1981/82. As the decade progressed the introductions became more ... well, 80s. Fluorescent colours and electronic graphics were used. By 1987 though, in my opinion, they lost the plot, and tried to become cool all of a sudden. The introduction is so cringe-worthy when I sit through them now, which is not very often.