Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 4 - FULL DETAILS on 3 COUNTDOWN EPISODES PLUS 2 ROCK ARENA'S

So here it is, the final 'rage goes retro' 4 :-( Three Countdown's and one more of my requests being October 14th, 1984 with the RARE Eurogliders 'Maybe Only I Dream' studio Performance which hasn't been played on rage, the 1986 Countdown which hasn't been played on rage either. The 1983 Countdown episode, I already have on Timer Code, drats ... But rage haven't played it which is good.

I looked at the info on the 1985 Rock Arena's Armin posted a long time ago and there is only one April episode of Rock Arena in there and it's not from the 8th. So I don't know what this episode being played will feature ...

Glad there are 3 Countdown's :kissing_heart:

**************************************************************************************************

ROCK ARENA June 14, 1983 (The Angels, Manfredd Mann & The Blues Band) (ABC)
ROCK ARENA
duration: 72.30
summary: ABC MUSIC PROGRAM, ROCK ARENA INC ANGELS, MANFRED MANN AND BLUES BAND
personalities: ANDREW PETERS,ABC PRESENTER;THE ANGELS,MUSIC GROUP;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND,MUSIC GROUP;THE BLUES BAND,MUSIC GROUP
shotlist: LIB FTG THE ANGELS LIVE, SHOOT IT UP;LIB FTG THE ANGELS LIVE, NO SECRETS;LIB FTG THE ANGELS LIVE, WATCH THE RED;LIB FTG THE ANGELS LIVE, IS THAT YOU;LIB FTG THE ANGELS LIVE, FACE THE DAY;THE ANGELS FILM CLIP, EAT CITY;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND LIVE FILM CLIP,DAVY'S ON THE ROAD AGAIN;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND LIVE FILM CLIP, YOU ANGEL YOU;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND LIVE FILM CLIP, DON'T KILL IT CAROL;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND LIVE FILM CLIP, LIES (THROUGH THE 80S);MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND LIVE FILM CLIP, FOR YOU;MANFREDD MANN'S EARTH BAND FILM CLIP, DEMOLITION MAN;THE BLUES BAND LIVE, DIDDY WAH DIDDY;BLUES BAND LIVE, COME ON IN;THE BLUES BAND LIVE, WHO'S RIGHT, WHO'S WRONG?;THE BLUES BAND LIVE, AIN'T IT TOUGH;THE BLUES BAND LIVE, BACK DOOR MAN;THE BLUES BAND LIVE, MAGGIE'S FARM

**************************************************************************************************

COUNTDOWN
Year:1986
Date:23/11/1986
Show no:536
Summary:THIS SHOW HAS NO HOST OR STUDIO AUDIENCE. MOLLY DOES LINKS FROM BONDI PAVILLION AND INTERVIEWS WITH ARTISTS WHO ARE THERE TO LAUNCH 'AUSTRALIAN MADE' TOUR. MOLLY IV'S JIMMY BARNES RE TOUR, MICHAEL HUTCHENCE RE FILM DOG'S IN SPACE AND SONG WITH JIMMY BARNES. GREEDY SMITH FROM MENTAL AS ANYTHING AND KATE CEBERANO TALK ABOUT TOUR AND AN EXCERPT OF NEIL AND TIM FINN IN RECORDING
STUDIO SINGING FOR THE 'GET REAL CAMPAIGN' IS SHOWN DURING HUMDRUM. MOLLY ALSO INTERVIEWS DOC NEESON FROM THE ANGELS RE NEW ALBUM, INTERVIEW HAS CHROMA KEY EFFECT THROUGH IT. VIDEO CLIPS:
BIG PIG 'HUNGRY TOWN'
DRAGON 'WESTERN GIRLS'
THE ANGELS 'DON'T WASTE MY TIME'
A-HA 'I'VE BEEN LOSING YOU'
WANG CHUNG 'EVERYBODY HAVE FUN TONIGHT'
SPANDAU BALLET 'THROUGH THE BARRICADES'
THE PRETENDERS 'DON'T GET ME WRONG'
BOB GELDOF 'THIS IS THE WORLD CALLING'
BERLIN 'LIKE FLAMES'
CYNDI LAUPER 'CHANGE OF HEART'
DURAN DURAN 'NOTORIOUS'
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
STACEY Q 'TWO OF HEARTS'
BILLY JOEL 'A MATTER OF TRUST'
RIC OCASEK 'EMOTION IN MOTION'
ELTON JOHN 'HEARTACHE ALL OVER THE WORLD'
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'STUCK WITH YOU'
MADONNA 'TRUE BLUE'
PAUL SIMON 'YOU CAN CALL ME AL'
CHRIS DE BURGH 'LADY IN RED'
COMMUNARDS 'DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY'
JOHN FARNHAM 'YOU'RE THE VOICE'
SHOW ENDS WITH BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'WAR'

ROCK ARENA April 8, 1985 (330) (ABC)

(NO INFO AVAILABLE)

COUNTDOWN
Year:1983
Date:10/04/1983
Show no:366
Summary:THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY MARK AND WENDY FROM THE GLOBOS. BLANCMANGE TALKS ABOUT THE MAKING OF THEIR CLIP 'LIVING ON THE CEILING' RUNNERS PLAY LIVE IN STUDIO AND MALCOLM MCLAREN INTRODUCES HIS CLIP 'BUFFALO GALS'. MOLLY PRESENTS MUSIC NEWS IN HUMDRUM INCL MINI DOCUMENTARY ON THE FAIRLIGHT COMPUTER. LOCAL ARTISTS:
GLOBO'S 'THE BEAT GOES ON'
EXPRESSION 'WITH CLOSED EYES'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'SPIRIT GOT LOST'
SPLIT ENZ 'NEXT EXIT'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
DAVID BOWIE 'LET'S DANCE'
MONTE VIDEO 'SHOOP SHOOP DIDDY WOP'
BLANCMANGE 'LIVING ON THE CEILING'
MALCOLM MCCLAREN ‘BUFFALO GALS’
FALCO 'DER KOMMISSAR'
HUMDRUM:
DURAN DURAN INTRODUCE THEIR NEW ALBUM. GORDON FRANKLIN & WILDERNESS 'LET THE FRANKLIN FLOW' MARS LAZAR DEMONSTRATES FAIRLIGHT COMPUTER.
TOP TEN ITEMS:
PRINCE '1999'
LAURA BRANIGAN 'GLORIA'
TEARS FOR FEARS 'MAD WORLD'
BLANCMANGE 'LIVING ON THE CEILING'
PHIL COLLINS 'YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE'
KAJAGOOGOO 'TOO SHY'
DAVID BOWIE 'LET'S DANCE'
DIRE STRAITS 'TWISTING BY THE POOL'
JOE COCKER & JENNIFER WARNES 'UP WHERE WE BELONG'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BILLY JEAN'

COUNTDOWN
Year:1984
Date:14/10/1984
Show no:438
Summary:Summary: THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY COMEDY DUO LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS WHO ARE PERFORMING SKETCHES BETWEEN CLIPS. MOLLY AND MEATLOAF PRESENTING HUMDRUM VIA SATELLITE FROM LONDON.
VIDEO CLIPS:
KAM SHA 'HE WILL SLEEP'
TINA TURNER 'BETTER BE GOOD TO ME' AND IV RE SINGLE,
ALBUM, COMING TO AUSTRALIA
COREY HART 'SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT'
EUROGLIDERS 'MAYBE ONLY I DREAM' (COUNTDOWN STUDIO CLIP)
MADONNA 'LUCKY STAR'
PAUL MCCARTNEY 'NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS'
MODELS 'BIG ON LOVE'
LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS 'COOKING IN THE KITCHEN'
BRONSKI BEAT 'WHY'
CULTURE CLUB 'THE WAR SONG'
CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
MACHINATIONS 'NO SAY IN IT'
MALCOLM MCLAREN 'MADAME BUTTERFLY'
BILLY IDOL 'FLESH FOR FANTASY'
DIVINE 'YOU THINK YOU'RE A MAN'
TOP TEN:
PRINCE 'LET'S GO CRAZY'
ELTON JOHN 'PASSENGERS'
TINA TURNER 'WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT'
ZZ TOP 'LEGS'
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'DANCING IN THE DARK'
JOHN WAITE 'MISSING YOU'
U2 'PRIDE'
RAY PARKER JNR 'GHOSTBUSTERS'
GEORGE MICHAEL 'CARELESS WHISPER'
STEVIE WONDER 'I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU'

Re: rage goes retro 4 - FULL DETAILS on 3 COUNTDOWN EPISODES PLUS 2 ROCK ARENA'S

At Armin,

Any idea on the 1985 Rock Arena being played this weekend?

Geez, I hope it's a good episode as I'd love one Rock Arena that is sensational and the Suzanne Dowling years are the best ones x

Re: rage goes retro 4 - FULL DETAILS on 3 COUNTDOWN EPISODES PLUS 2 ROCK ARENA'S

Jason \\\'The Moderator\\\'
At Armin,

Any idea on the 1985 Rock Arena being played this weekend?

Geez, I hope it\\\'s a good episode as I\\\'d love one Rock Arena that is sensational and the Suzanne Dowling years are the best ones x

Jason, Nathan posted it in the other Retro Week 4 thread, the one started by Scott.
Very good episode imo with some rare clips.

Okay Brad,

Thanks for that.

Didn't know that rage put up rage goes retro 4 details up on Thursday, no wonder no one has been posting on this thread I posted at midday today.

Rock Arena from 1985 looks quite good though I don't know Fly Joy's music but know their name. May as well post the info on the Rock Arena from 1985 here as well ... Don't know Full Marks either ...

1. ID: 935243 - ROCK ARENA;SHOW 9 - PROGRAM Email Sales about this item

Recording date: 08-Apr-1985

Duration: 59.17

Summary: THIS EPISODE OF ROCK ARENA INC FILM CLIPS BY ART OF NOISE, FULL MARKS, KAM SHA, AZTEC CAMERA, MENTAL AS ANYTHING, FLOY JOY, HALL AND OATES AND THE STEVE MORSE BAND

More details

Personalities: SUZANNE DOWLING, HOST;ART OF NOISE;FULL MARKS;KAM SHA;AZTEC CAMERA;MENTAL AS ANYTHING;FLOY JOY;HALL AND OATES;STEVE MORSE BAND

Shotlist: 0.19 ROCK ARENA TOMORROW PROMO;0.57 ROCK ARENA TONIGHT PROMO;1.42 OPENING TITLES;1.59 FF#1 ART OF NOISE 'CLOSE (TO THE EDIT) FILM CLIP (ALTERNATE VERSION);5.40 MS SUZANNE DOWLING INTROS SHOW AND NEXT SONG;6.35 FF#1 FULL MARKS 'BREAK DOWN THE WALLS' FILM CLIP;9.47 FF#1 KAM SHA 'WORK UNTIL YOU DROP' FILM CLIP;12.58 MS DOWLING LINK;13.37 FF#1 AZTEC CAMERA 'OBLIVIOUS' FILM CLIP;16.37 FF#1 AZTEC CAMERA 'STILL ON FIRE' FILM CLIP;20.26 MS DOWLING LINK;21.05 FF#1 MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'IF YOU LEAVE ME CAN I COME TOO' FILM CLIP;24.13 FF#1 MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'APOCALYPSO' FILM CLIP;26.53 FF#1 MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'YOU'RE SO STRONG' FILM CLIP;30.12 MS DOWLING LINK;30.37 FF#1 FLOY JOY 'INTO THE HOT' CONCERT PERFORMANCE FILM CLIP;35.50 FF#1 FLOY JOY 'UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME' CONCERT PERFORMANCE FILM CLIP;41.00 FF#1 FLOY JOY 'BURN DOWN A RHYTHM' CONCERT PERFORMANCE FILM CLIP;45.22 MS DOWLING LINK;45.53 FF#1 HALL AND OATES 'OUT OF TOUCH' FILM CLIP;50.16 FF#1 HALL AND OATES 'METHOD OF MODERN LOVE' FILM CLIP;55.55 MS DOWLING LINK;56.43 FF#1 STEVE MORSE BAND 'CRUISE MISSILE/GENERAL LEE' FILM CLIP (CREDITS ROLL OVER CLIP);1.00.59 END

I have known the band name Floy Joy for a very long time but never listened to their music, just watched some stuff of theirs on You Tube, verrrrrrry cool and British and a gorgeous lead singer, very handsome. Floy Joy are from Sheffield, no wonder they sound good, Sheffield bands are simply MARVELLOUS!

I am now looking forward to this 1985 Rock Arena, YAY!

And a clip by Kam Sha in the 1985 Rock Arena as well as 'He Will Sleep' from Kam Sha in the 1984 Countdown episode I requested :-)

I was thinking that rage put up the Playlists for this weekend mega early for a Friday and they put them up on Thursday, I was very late this time. Soooo glad the 1985 Rock Arena is BRILLIANT!

First hour is going to be very difficult to stay up and watch, the 1986 Countdown is at least better than the first Rock Arena but very Video Clip orientated. Lucky for the 1984 Countdown I requested that I get some studio performance action, as the Countdown's this weekend are very video clip after video clip ...

I didn't really know Floy Joy either until last year or so, when I realised I had one of their videos that wasn't previously on YouTube (Friday Night In This Cold City), which I've uploaded there.

The 1983 episode starts at 3:08am....

Tune in tonight from 3:08am to see Bob Downe hosting #Countdown in 1983 with Wendy from Globos. #watchingrage #retromonth

I always liked "Weak in the Presence of Beauty", which according to Wikipedia reached #29 in Australia. I remember it getting pretty good radio airplay at the time. That's the only song of theirs I know.

ohnoitisnathan
I didn't really know Floy Joy either until last year or so, when I realised I had one of their videos that wasn't previously on YouTube (Friday Night In This Cold City), which I've uploaded there.

Tune in tonight from 3:08am to see Bob Downe hosting #Countdown in 1983 with Wendy from Globos. #watchingrage #retromonth

Where did you find the exact start time? I was just thinking about how I miss the exact starting times from a few years ago.

This is my estimate of the starting times beginning with the 86 countdown. Based on 60 minutes for Rock Arena and 55 minutes for each Countdown.

1.08 - 2.03 86
2.04 - 3.04 85 rock arena
3.05 - 4.00 83
4.01 - 4.05 globos
4.05 - 5.00 84

1:08 am for the 1986 Countdown, arghhhhh ...

The first hour is so wasted.

Yes, those individual times used to be really handy.

So looking forward to the 1985 Rock Arena and the 1984 Countdown in particular

The other Countdown's tonight are a bonus, seeing I thought we would only get 1 or 2 episodes of Countdown.

It will be good to get the 1983 Countdown without the timer code. 1986 Countdown could have had a studio audience episode but at least there is the likes of Berlin, Cyndi Lauper, Duran Duran e.t.c.. So it is a nice come down after The Angels from Rock Arena ...

Luuuc
I always liked "Weak in the Presence of Beauty", which according to Wikipedia reached #29 in Australia. I remember it getting pretty good radio airplay at the time. That's the only song of theirs I know.
Ha ha, I'm pretty sure I added that #29 in Australia peak on the wikipedia page, or a reference for it. It's true.

Gary
ohnoitisnathan
I didn\'t really know Floy Joy either until last year or so, when I realised I had one of their videos that wasn\'t previously on YouTube (Friday Night In This Cold City), which I\'ve uploaded there.

Where did you find the exact start time? I was just thinking about how I miss the exact starting times from a few years ago.

This is my estimate of the starting times beginning with the 86 countdown. Based on 60 minutes for Rock Arena and 55 minutes for each Countdown.

1.08 - 2.03 86
3.05 - 4.00 83
4.01 - 4.05 globos
4.05 - 5.00 84

rage posted the exact start time for the 1983 episode on their facebook page in a post. I should have specified where it was from (I copied and pasted the text from the facebook post beneath it). That's the only episode they've stated a specific start time for, though.

ohnoitisnathan
Gary
ohnoitisnathan
I didn\\\'t really know Floy Joy either until last year or so, when I realised I had one of their videos that wasn\\\'t previously on YouTube (Friday Night In This Cold City), which I\\\'ve uploaded there.

1.08 - 2.03 86
3.05 - 4.00 83
4.01 - 4.05 globos
4.05 - 5.00 84

rage posted the exact start time for the 1983 episode on their facebook page in a post. I should have specified where it was from (I copied and pasted the text from the facebook post beneath it). That's the only episode they've stated a specific start time for, though.
Would be nice if Rage would give us all the exact start times. Or bring back the app.

The first Rock Arena episode is airing in 4:3 (not stretched).

I just checked for your update Nathan.

Glad it is airing in 4.3, not for The Angels but hopefully for the rest of the night.

Crosses fingers!

The first Countdown episode appears to be 4:3, although the picture extends just a smidgeon further to the right than the Rock Arena episode did; though only a tiny bit. I'd need to check it on my DVD authoring program to be certain, but I don't think it extends beyond the 4:3 border.

I think the aspect ratios for the last 3 episodes were all alright. Certainly none were stretched like they had been in previous weeks. I'd need to check with my DVD authoring program to be certain, but I think they all fit within the 4:3 region of the screen...

My 16:9 recording cut out during the final episode; I'm not sure why, it does that sometimes (there was enough space to keep recording).

All in all IMO, a very decent Retro month has just left us. For me, yes I love early 80's C'down the best, but still happy for the '86 & '87 to be added to my collection, because even though the format wasn't as good - there was certainly some excellent music. A plus for me was that I was able to obtain 9 episodes that I didn't already have (either on time code or from rage). One little annoying thing was that in Retro night #2, the whole five episodes I have already on time code - but as I always say at least rage are making sure they don't repeat what they have played in the past. Hoping in 2019 they might sprinkle in a few Flashez's & C'down Revolution's for good measure :relaxed:

Very pleased with this years rage goes retro and glad Countdown was the main focus as it should be.

Rock Arena is also welcomed, I think Coutndown and Rock Arena should pretty much only be played and any Flashez bits they have left. Countdown Revolution is a waste of timer, rubbish

Unfortunately, the 14 October 1984 episode of Countdown (the last one aired during retro month) appears to have been stretched beyond 4:3 a little on the left side of the picture.

Okay, at least only a little stretched as the 1980 with Mi Sex seems to be the one that was most stretched