Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Upcoming 90s special on rage

"Were the 90s the best decade in music? We're joining our friends at Double J as they explore the decade that gave us both Nirvana and Darude.

All throughout June, our Saturday morning VAULT sections will be bursting with great 90s videos. The month will culminate in a full Saturday night 90s special on the 25th - with all the videos chosen by YOU, the Rage audience.

Keep an eye out for more updates to come, and don't miss the first installment this Saturday at 8:30am!"

...except Darude's 'Sandstorm' was actually 2000. Here, anyway, where it debuted on the chart in July 2000

Re: Upcoming 90s special on rage

Ughhhhh, the 90s ... The decade that destroyed everything creative, vibrant, colurful and futuristic in music.

The decade that killed fun, spirit and synths.

The beginning of THE END ... It has never been the same since the 80s ended in music and visual art. 90s best decade in music? ... What a joke!

Jason 'The Moderator"
Ughhhhh, the 90s ... The decade that destroyed everything creative, vibrant, colurful and futuristic in music.

The decade that killed fun, spirit and synths.

The beginning of THE END ... It has never been the same since the 80s ended in music and visual art. 90s best decade in music? ... What a joke!

I know we differ on this, but I loved 90s dance... well, up until maybe '98 at the latest. 1999 was the year that ruined music for good for me

On another forum, years ago someone said that they thought Britpop and the Spice Girls ended the progression of music, and I tend to agree.

Brit Pop was the only decent thing about the 90s, at least bands like Blur and Pulp made clever music with a pop twist. And OZ bands like Savage Garden and Vertigo at least had melody.

As far as 90s Dance music - 1990 and 1991 is about it.

Then of course the likes of Bjork's releases etc were FABULOUS!

We all know the 80s was the best decade in music and the 90s was just a collective of being as boring as one could possibly be.

Jason 'The Moderator"
Brit Pop was the only decent thing about the 90s, at least bands like Blur and Pulp made clever music with a pop twist. And OZ bands like Savage Garden and Vertigo at least had melody.

As far as 90s Dance music - 1990 and 1991 is about it.

Then of course the likes of Bjork's releases etc were FABULOUS!

We all know the 80s was the best decade in music and the 90s was just a collective of being as boring as one could possibly be.

I like some Britpop, but it hardly broke new musical ground. It was a re-hash of the past, really. That's what I/the person who made the comment meant. It's a bit like dance acts from the last 10-15 years trying to do 80s-sounding synthpop.

Gee, what is the point of having a 90s-themed Vault month, when literally ALL of the videos they're playing as part of this week are reguarly-shown-on-rage videos

TUMBLEWEED (Sundial) Mary Jane (Festival)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Red Right Hand (Mushroom)
CROWDED HOUSE Fall At Your Feet (EMI)
SONIC ANIMATION Theophilus Thistler ()
THE FAUVES Dogs Are The Best People (Polydor)
REGURGITATOR ! (The Song Formerly Known As) (Warner)
ITCH-E and SCRATCH-E Sweetness And Light (Sony)
YOU AM I Berlin Chair (BMG)
MAX SHARAM Coma (Warner)

08:30am

KYLIE MINOGUE Confide In Me (Mushroom)
GERLING Enter, Space Capsule (U.K. version) (Fest/Mush)
AMMONIA Drugs (Sony)
JEBEDIAH Leaving Home (Sony)
YOTHU YINDI Treaty (Mushroom)
MIDNIGHT OIL Blue Sky Mine (Sony)
THE CRUEL SEA The Honeymoon Is Over (Polydor)
SPIDERBAIT Buy Me A Pony (Polydor)

09:00am

THE SUPERJESUS Down Again (Warner)
CUSTARD Apartment (BMG)
RATCAT Don't Go Now (Warner)
THE FALLING JOYS Lock It (BMG)

Several of them have aired in recent months, too.

It seems I missed the memo that these Vault segments are only of 90s *Australian* artists. i.e. so it's going to be full of Triple J s h i t they always play anyway

And the 90s 'special' during the last week of June, "the best songs, as chosen by YOU!", seems like it's going to be the visual representation of the Double J 'Best 50 Australian songs of the 90s' i.e. more c r a p.

Why then, did rage mention Darude in their blurb about the upcoming 90s segments? They aren't Australian.

1999 was a great year for pop music and when i started watching Top of the Pops religiously on Foxtel.

I was wrong and it seems it was only last weekend's playlist that was only Australian artists. This weekend's theme is "overlooked" songs, but it of course contains many videos they have aired in the last few years; some quite recently. And it's all Triple J-friendly stuff.

More info on this, and it sounds like a nineties snoozefest all month.

Rage is currently gearing up for a massive run of shows in June — with every episode being dedicated to classic videos and songs from the ’90s.

Rage’s ‘Vault’ (from 8.30am onwards) will feature songs from the following themes: The Best Australian Songs of the ’90s, The Best Overlooked Tracks of the ’90s and The Best Female Artists of the ’90s. They’ll close it out on Saturday June 24 with wall to wall ’90s hits, chosen by viewers. Better get out that flannie then.

Brad

Rage is currently gearing up for a massive run of shows in June — with every episode being dedicated to classic videos and songs from the ’90s.

Rage’s ‘Vault’ (from 8.30am onwards) will feature songs from the following themes: The Best Australian Songs of the ’90s, The Best Overlooked Tracks of the ’90s and The Best Female Artists of the ’90s. They’ll close it out on Saturday June 24 with wall to wall ’90s hits, chosen by viewers. Better get out that flannie then.

Thanks, where did you get that info from?

Best female artists of the '90s sounds promising... until you realise it will be wall to wall Hole and similar guitar-based 'alternative' female artists they play regularly anyway, perhaps peppered with one or two common pop videos, like Spice Girls or something.

I'd love to know how the 90s tracks are "chosen" by viewers. I assume it will be a video airing of the top 50 Double J songs voted for by listeners/viewers (whatever Double J is, I don't know).

ohnoitisnathan
Brad

Thanks, where did you get that info from?

Best female artists of the '90s sounds promising... until you realise it will be wall to wall Hole and similar guitar-based 'alternative' female artists they play regularly anyway, perhaps peppered with one or two common pop videos, like Spice Girls or something.

I'd love to know how the 90s tracks are "chosen" by viewers. I assume it will be a video airing of the top 50 Double J songs voted for by listeners/viewers (whatever Double J is, I don't know).

It came up on my facebook feed yesterday.

http://junkee.com/watch-every-rage-playlist-last-20-years/107104?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=June%202017%20-%20Traffic&utm_medium=cm

I just had a look at the rage Playlist for this weekend not realising it was a 90s special but saw this thread recently.

What a rather C R A P special, shows how truly dreadful the 90s were in general.

I at least would have loved some Early 90s House and Dance from the likes of Opus III, Cathy Dennis, Jesus Loves You, 808 State, Beatmasters, Quadraphonia, Ultra Nate, Betty Boo and some great Synth Pop from Vertigo, Les Rhytmes Digitals, Savage Garden and some International Crisis, Shakespear's Sister, Pet Shop Boys, Bjork and would have LOVED Collette with Who Do You Think You Are and Jason Donovan's RSVP !!!!! And something else besides Read My Lips from Melissa like Is It? ... And even some Monaco, JX, Tracey T w a t and some 90s Bananarama and The Human League would have been welcomed ... And may I add Peter Andre with his PWL produced You Drive Me Crazy would have been interesting. And where is Erasure's cover of Abba's Voulez Vous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some 90s PWL like Nancy Davis, Sybil, Lonnie Gordon, NEWTON!!!!!!, Yell and Sonia would have been brilllliant, arghhhhhh.

rage's attempt at some Pop and Dance is truly lazy because I doubt they really know much besides the general Pop and Dance of the era ... Of course it is filled with Alternative rubbish for most part and the Pop and Dance that is presented is very generic... Black Box with Everybody Everybody is one of the decent selections among the commercial Dance they chose.

And not even Madonna's Bedtime Stories which is one of THE THE THE best videos EVER made!!!

LOOOOVE the Madonna short little video from her Fame audition!

Hahahahahaha

Jason, your suggestions would have been brilliant.

Instead we're getting one that veers between the mediocre and the bland same old same old we always get. What a wasted opportunity, but not unexpected.

Highlights include 'The Emperor's New clothes' by Sinead, 'In Your Room' by Toni Pearen, 'Weak' by Skunk Anansie, but there's nothing that will tempt me to watch.

Jason 'The Moderator"
LOOOOVE the Madonna short little video from her Fame audition!

Hahahahahaha

I made that for another forum.

Someone else made this from it in response:

Jason 'The Moderator"
And even some Monaco, JX

JX's 'Son of a Gun' is there, actually.

The playlist overall is dull and predictable, but I'm pleasantly surprised there are *some* pop/dance clips there that they haven't aired since the 90s. Going by the blurb on the website and the first hour of it on Saturday morning, I was expecting it to be entirely 'alternative', all-male, Triple J c r a p.

Jason 'The Moderator"
Black Box with Everybody Everybody is one of the decent selections among the commercial Dance they chose.

No doubt it's going to be the Le Freak mix that they've aired a couple of times in recent years, rather than the original European version where Katrin runs through a field etc., which I much prefer.

What bugs me also are the repeated pop/dance clips, like Zhane's 'Hey Mr DJ'. Couldn't they have dug out 'Groove Thang' or at least something different?

Nathan,

I prefer You belong To Me from JX and not a fan of Son of A Gun

Jason 'The Moderator"
Nathan,

I prefer You belong To Me from JX and not a fan of Son of A Gun

They did air 'You Belong To Me' last year in one of the 90s dance Vault episodes; albeit with overscan lines.

One thing I learnt recently is that the blonde woman lipsyncing in the 'Son of a Gun' video is the blonde woman appearing in Womack & Womack's 'Teardrops' video! She is actually a singer/sang with Womack & Womack, but for whatever reason, was lipsyncing in the 'Son of a Gun' video.

'Close To Your Heart' is my favourite JX single.

I knew Headless Chickens' 'Cruise Control' wouldn't be the 1994 remix version that became a hit, but would instead be the 1991 version they regularly air... and lo and behold, it was

'Bedtime Stories' was/is a trippy video. Seeing that video in the day on/after a night on the p i s s back in the day.