Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 4 ... THIS WEEKEND * Saturday 28th January, 2017

Here are full archival details on the 5 Countdown's played this weekend! Yes, 5 in a row like weekend one this year, FANTASTIC :-) <3 :-)

rage have of course made an error. The Ellen Foley episode from 1980 is actually from 09/02/1980 and not 09/03/1980 as advertised on rage. I do have the timer code of the JO KENNEDY AND ROSS O'DONOVAN episode from 11/04/1982 but there is a l-ooooooooooooot of very poooooor sound dropouts through most of the episode which makes it impossible to watch properly so I hope the episode that goes to air is all in tact :-) As I need The Human league interview in good condition! BRILLIANT PROGRAMMING xxxxx

Year:1983
Date:27/03/1983
Show no:364
Summary:THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY DIRE STRAITS AT MOLLY'S HOUSE AND FEATURES LIVE ACTS WITH GOANNA, UNCANNY X-MEN AND EXPRESSION.TOP TEN ITEMS ARE SHOWN BUT THERE IS NO HUMDRUM.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
DIVINYLS 'SIREN'
UNCANNY X-MEN 'HOW DO YOU GET YOUR KICKS'
EXPRESSION 'WITH CLOSED EYES'
GOANNA 'RAZOR'S EDGE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
DIRE STRAITS 'SULTANS OF SWING'
KAJAGOOGOO 'TOO SHY'
JOAN ARMATRADING 'DROP THE PILOT'
DONNA SUMMER 'STATE OF INDEPENDENCE'
MALCOLM MCLAREN 'BUFFALO GALS'
AFTER THE FIRE 'DER KOMMISSAR'
DAVID BOWIE 'LET'S DANCE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
SHEENA EASTON & KENNY ROGERS 'WE'VE GOT TONIGHT'
WHAM 'YOUNG GUNS'
CULTURE CLUB 'TIME'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BILLY JEAN'
MARVIN GAYE 'SEXUAL HEALING'
BLANCMANGE 'LIVING ON THE CEILING'
LAURA BRANIGAN 'GLORIA'
PHIL COLLINS 'YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE'
JOE COCKER & JENNIFER WARNES 'UP WHERE WE BELONG'
DIRE STRAITS 'TWISTING BY THE POOL'

Year:1980
Date:9/2/1980
Show no:230
Summary:THIS SHOW HOSTED BY ELLEN FOLEY AND CO-HOSTED BY MOLLY MELDRUM (WITHOUT HAT). MOLLY IV'S ELLEN RE HER BACKGROUND (WITH MEATLOAF, IAN HUNTER & NICK RANSEN) AND CURRENT ALBUM. MOLLY IV'S TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS RE HOW THEY FORMED, THEIR FIRST ALBUM AND BEING A 'HOT' BAND. HUMDRUM INCL IV WITH NEIL FINN OF 'SPLIT ENZ' DISCUSSING THE GROUPS ALBUM 'TRUE COLOURS', TOUR OF NZ/AUST, WORRYING ABOUT SUCCESS AND MELODYS & STYLE.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
PLAYER 1 'SPACE INVADERS' (PRODUCED BY RUSSELL DUNLAP & OTHER SESSION PLAYERS)
LOADED DICE 'TELEPHONE' (LIVE)
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU' (LIVE)
JON ENGLISH & BAXTER FUNT BAND 'HOT TOWN' (LIVE) OVERSEAS TALENT:
ELLEN FOLEY 'STUPID GIRL'
BLONDIE (DEBORAH HARRY) 'ATOMIC'
REVILLOS 'WHERE'S THE BOY FOR ME'
TOM PETTY (& THE HEARTBREAKERS) 'REFUGEE'
BUGGLES 'PLASTIC AGE'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
STEVE FORBERT 'ROMEO'S TUNE'
SUGAR HILL GANG 'RAPPERS DELIGHT'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'ROCK WITH YOU'
HUMDRUM ITEMS (OVERSEAS):
MOTELS 'TOTAL CONTROL'
THE ****ED 'SMASH IT UP'
TOTO '99'
MIKE BATT 'RUN LIKE THE WIND'
B52'S 'ROCK LOBSTER'
NATIOANL TOP TEN:
KENNY ROGERS 'COWARD OF THE COUNTY' (NO.10)
KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO' (NO.9)
RUPERT HOLMES 'ESCAPE' (NO.8)
MICHAEL JACKSON 'DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH' (NO.7)
CHRISTIE ALLEN 'HE'S MY NUMBER ONE' (NO.6)
THE JACKSONS 'BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE' (NO.5)
PINK FLOYD 'ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL' (NO.4)
THE CAPTAIN & TENNILLE 'DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME' (NO.3)
COLLEEN HEWETT 'DREAMING MY DREAMS WITH YOU' (NO.2)
QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE' (NO.1)

Year:1982
Date:25/07/1982
Show no:338
Summary:JOHN PAUL YOUNG IS GUEST PRESENTER.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
JOHN PAUL YOUNG 'OH NO NO'
HEAVEN 'IN THE BEGINNING'
MIGHTY GUYS 'BE COOL BE SMART'
WARD 13 'MIDNIGHT CARAVAN'
RENEE GEYER 'LOVE SO SWEET'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'SHUTDOWN'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 'I RAN'
FUN BOY THREE 'IT AINT WHAT YOU DO'
IRON MAIDEN 'RUN TO THE HILLS'
MOTELS 'TAKE THE L'
MEMBERS 'RADIO'
CHARTBUSTERS:
ADAM ANT 'GOODY TWO SHOES'
WAITRESSES 'I KNOW WHAT BOYS LIKE'
FLEETWOOD MAC 'HOLD ME'
ABC 'POISON ARROW'
HUMDRUM:
INXS 'ONE THING'
FLASH AND THE PAN 'WHERE WERE YOU'
MIDGEURE 'NO REGRETS'
UK SQUEEZE 'BLACK COFFEE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
SIMPLE MINDS 'PROMISED YOU A MIRACLE'
HUMAN LEAGUE 'DON'T YOU WANT ME'
ROXY MUSIC 'MORE THAN THIS'
ABC 'POISON ARROW'
KIM WILDE 'VIEW FROM A BRIDGE'
DURAN DURAN 'HUNGRY LIKE A WOLF'
BERTIE HIGGINS 'KEY LARGO'
SPLIT ENZ '6 MONTHS IN A LEAKY BOAT'
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 'I RAN'
CHARLENE 'I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ME'

Year:1982
Date:11/04/1982
Show no:323
Summary:THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY JO KENNEDY AND ROSS O'DONOVAN AND IS THE WEEK LEADING UP TO THE ROCK AWARDS.MOLLY INTERVIEWS JOAN ARMATRADING AND MEMBERS OF 'HUMAN LEAGUE' AND PRESENTS THE MUSIC NEWS IN 'HUMDRUM' VIDEO CLIPS:
BLUE RONDO A LA TURK 'MR & MR SANCHEZ
COLD CHISEL 'FOREVER NOW'
RICHARD CLAPTON 'STRANGE'
MOTHER GOOSE 'RITA & ME'
CHILLIWACK 'GONE GONE GONE'
DIVINYLS 'ONLY LONELY'
ROSS O'DONOVAN 'I WANT TO LIVE IN A HOUSE'
SHARON O'NEIL 'ALL THE TEA IN CHINA'
WENDY & THE ROCKETS 'YOUR PLACE OR MINE'
PAUL MCCARTNEY 'EBONY & IVORY'
CHARTBUSTERS:
TONI BASIL 'MICKEY'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM:
RICK JAMES 'SUPERFREAK'
MOVING PICTURES 'BUSTIN' LOOSE'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'LET'S COOK'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
OLIVIER NEWTON JOHN 'MAKE A MOVE ON ME'
CLIFF RICHARDS 'DADDY'S HOME'
ELTON JOHN 'BLUE EYES'
JOEY SCARBURY 'BELIEVE IT OR NOT'
QUARTERFLASH 'HARDEN MY HEART'
ROD STEWART 'YOUNG TURKS'
DEPECHE MODE 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH'
SHAKIN STEVENS 'OH JULIE'
J GEILS BAND 'CENTREFOLD'
MOVING PICTURES 'WHAT ABOUT ME'

Year:1983
Date:28/08/1983
Show no:384
Summary:THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY JOAN ARMATRADING WHO SAYS SHE IS VERY PLEASED WITH HER NEW ALBUM 'THE KEY'AND HER BAND WHO ARE ALL GOOD MUSICIANS.SHE SAYS 10CC WERE RECORDING THEIR FIRST DEMO AT THE SAME STUDIOS AND TIME AS SHE WAS.ALSO FEATURED IS AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN AT MOLLY'S HOME.NEWTON JOHN SAYS SHE WAS VERY NERVOUS ABOUT RELEASING 'PHYSICAL' AND PLEASED IT HAS DONE SO WELL. SHE HAS JUST FINISHED MAKING A FILM WITH JOHN TRAVOLTA CALLED 'TWO OF A KIND'
AND IS OPENING AN AUSTRALIAN SHOP IN AMERICA CALLED 'KOALA BLUE' WHICH WILL SELL AUST DESIGNER
CLOTHES,JEWELLERY ETC AND ALSO HAVE A MILKBAR WITH PIES AND PAVLOVAS.'KOALA' STANDS FOR 'KORNER OF AUSTRALIA IN LA' AND 'BLUE' IS A CHARACTER KOALA. MOLLY (WEARING A HAT) PRESENTS MUSIC NEWS IN 'HUMDRUM' AND TOP TEN MAKE THEIR WEEKLY APPEARANCE.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
JO JO ZEP 'LOSING GAME'
BRODERICK SMITH 'VISION OF YOU'
LITTLE HEROES 'WATCH THE WORLD'
SHARON O'NEILL 'MAXINE'
CHOIRBOYS 'AND WE'RE NEVER GOING TO DIE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS MUSIC CLIPS:
10CC 'FEEL THE LOVE'
POLICE 'WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER'
FREEZE 'IOU'
TALKING HEADS 'BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ELTON JOHN 'I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT THE BLUES'
MIKE OLDFIELD 'MOONLIGHT SHADOW'
POLICE 'EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE'
SPANDAU BALLET 'TRUE'
AUSTEN TAYSHUS 'AUSTRALIANA'
DONNA SUMMER 'SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY'
HAYSI FANTAYZEE 'SHINY SHINY'
EDDY GRANT 'ELECTRIC AVENUE'
MICHAEL SEMBELLO 'MANIAC'
IRENE CARA 'FLASHDANCE'
B MILLER 'COUNTDOWN THEME'

Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 4 ... THIS WEEKEND * Saturday 28th January, 2017

It's episode 385 as Joan Armatrading episode.

Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 4 ... THIS WEEKEND * Saturday 28th January, 2017

Fantastic to get another 5 episodes of Countdown. That's 17 episodes shown this season which is excellent considering there were just the 4 weekends.

I had previously requested the Ellen Foley episode on the old messageboard as it is the oldest episode in the archives (excepting the unbroadcastable 1978 Adelaide Festival show) that I hadn't seen and it looks like a good show. I will be interested to see if Ellen performs Stupid Girl live or they show the clip. From the guide it looks like a clip but I have seen plenty of errors in how those have been recorded in the past and you would hope they get the guest to perform.

Great to get a good version of the Jo Kennedy/Starstruck episode.

Also really looking forward to the Joan Armatrading episode which I haven't seen before. Nicholas is correct that it is show 385.

No GTK's shown at all after they had mentioned it in the first promo. I would rather see Countdown anyhow but they could have played a few of them on the Saturday morning shows instead of common clips.

Overall, as a Countdown fan, I feel it has been another brilliant January. However, with so many common clips shown on Saturday mornings and some on the nights, I would rather they played GTK, Hitscene, Flashez segments, Beatbox, Countdown Revolution or live performances from The Factory, Blah Blah Blah and 10:30 Slot instead and they would have been able to keep everyone happy at the same time without reducing the number of Countdowns shown.

Nice to have five episodes of Countdown, all from the early eighties. Looking forward to the Ellen Foley episode too, as there are no good quality versions of 'Stupid Girl' around ("live" or the video).
Jo Jo Zep's 'Losing Game' is also scarce, and 10cc's 'Feel The Love' in good quality.

Guru Bob, when you get time, would you mind posting (or updating) the list of unrepeated Countdowns remaining after this year?

I'm not complaining... but I would have liked a wider span of Countdowns shown this year.

The tally for each year this year was:

1980 - 3
1981 - 3
1982 - 4
1983 - 4
1984 - 1
1985 - 1
1986 - 1
1987 - 0

Also, some episodes this year repeated the same songs/artists, e.g. a Countdown with that Queen song at #1 has already aired, Divinyls' 'Siren' has too I think, Michael Jackson's 'One Day In Your Life'. I know some of that is inevitable, though.

Nicholas, in my archives it's 384. So either rage have it wrong or the archival people at ABC who catalogued have it wrong

I am so pleased with how many 1980 episodes we have had, adoooooore

Here Here for no 1987 Countdown's, they were terrible and I am so glad Countdown ended when it did.

Sorry Jase, but Nicholas is right. Definitely the 28/8/83 episode is #385. The week prior being 21/8 (Mark Holden show) is #384 & the following on 4/9 is #386 (with JPY). I have this all cataloged after years of my own research. I reckon you would have the time coded episode of the 4/9 & it would be stated on the beginning of that with the intro that is on each time coded show, I will check my time coded show and confirm when I get home from work tomorrow evening.

Why 'Sorry Jase' trying to make a point ... I am not disputing anywhere above about a show no. of Countdown ....

385 may be right but the ABC archivists who put together the notes put down 384, so I simply copied it from my archives.

We all know that the ABC didn't do the best job when noting details for Countdown shows ... From wrong show numbers, performances that are actually videos, videos that are actually performances and so on.

Then there is rage ... They put down this weekend that the 1980 episode is from 09/03/1980 but my archives say 09/02/1980.

I am simply the messenger who copied and pasted what the ABC gave me, so that people could see what episodes rage are playing this weekend, it's that simple! ... I didn't put the archives together for the ABC, obviously ...

rage was listed as Show 385 but when i went to look for the episode being played this weekend in the archives section what was under 385 was not the episode being played tomorrow night, it was under 384 as Joan Armitrading. But it is obviously 385, the end.

And I don't have the time coded episode for Joan Armatrading btw, so looking forward to seeing it

BTW, a classic example of not so precise archiving is this weekends episode being played from Year:1982 - Date:11/04/1982 ... Divinyls with Only Lonely is listed as a clip when it is actually the Countdown studio performance ...

Just checked in here and the rage playlist for tomorrow night. Woo hoo, 5 Countdowns in a row and no s h i t inbetween. I was worried rage would do a doozy on us in the last week and show ****scene and/or GTK. These Countdown eps are great and i think rage got it right this year with just Countdown and Rock Arena. What a way to end the month! 😉...and lastly, another Renee Geyer clip from '82!

Yep Michael,

I really thought that rage would play some S H I T - SCENE or GTK seeing they haven't so far and so glad they are not.

Though rage usually start the first weekend with heaps of Countdown and end the last weekend of January with heaps of Countdown. But this year we have been delivered 5 episodes on the first and last weekend. It's rather amazing.

This has been THE best January for agggges. Loved that it has been just Countdown and Rock Arena. There is no need for anything else.

I do however think like Guru, that rage should have played Flashez segments and performances from some other shows in the morning section or after 5 am on Sunday mornings after Countdown and Rock Arena finishes, rather than playing common music clips that feature in the following nights Countdown Top 10's.... But hey, as long as we are delivered Countdown GALORE, that is all that matters.

It's like the 90s again when rage just played Countdown WALL TO WALL

Really looking forward to the Jo Kennedy episode - saw Starstruck when it came out and it's been a favorite ever since. Jo Kennedy was so cute! Overall looks great although I'd like to have another Rock Arena and some post '84 Countdowns. A Hitscene or two would be nice as well.

Michael
Just checked in here and the rage playlist for tomorrow night. Woo hoo, 5 Countdowns in a row and no s h i t inbetween. I was worried rage would do a doozy on us in the last week and show ****scene and/or GTK. These Countdown eps are great and i think rage got it right this year with just Countdown and Rock Arena. What a way to end the month! 😉...and lastly, another Renee Geyer clip from '82!

Oops, looks like a studio performance from Ms Geyer - i not complain!

Michael

Oops, looks like a studio performance from Ms Geyer - i not complain!

As much as I love Rock Arena, the selections this year for me were rather bland minus THE THE episode.

And the misprint last weekend was annoying as the episode that was supposed to be played has some cool Westworld videos in it. Anyhow ....
rage really need to play The Dugites live for Rock Arena and the Funkdown Parts 1 and 2 episodes. I'd love to see more Rock Arena's from 1982.

What can i say, the early 80s ruin me and always will. They were perfection and creative beyond anything that came after 1985

My dad took my sister and I to see Starstruck at THE GREATER UNION in Exhibition St in 1982 when it was released, soooo cool. That very Greater Union stayed exactly as it looked in 1982 until 2 years ago when they pulled it down for some posh hotel, arghhhhhh. Progress is S H I T

I didn't see Starstruck until the mid 90's. It was on TV one night or maybe the midday movie? 😂 I really didn't discover the first half of the 80s until Countdown repeats on rage. God bless you rage. 😃

Well Michael, I am glad rage has introduced you to THE best era in music. The early 80s and that you enjoy it so much.

Thanks raaaaage, where would us Countdown lovers be without them!

Thanks Rage too for the standalone videos this morning for 'What Do Boys Dream' by Joan Armatrading and 'Where Were You' by Flash & The Pan. More of these rare retro videos please rather than the common hits.

The Ellen Foley video they showed this morning had to be a YouTube rip (artist/song title in blue ALL CAPS at the start, dull/washed out colours and fuzzy picture), with the audio re-synced by the ABC. Personally, I'd rather they aired nothing rather than resorting to YouTube rips, as they look so bad when the ABC broadcasts them.

I recorded rage for Ellen Foley clip this morning and was going to check it soon. A You Tube rip, arghhh.

Ah well .....

Jason 'The Moderator"
I recorded rage for Ellen Foley clip this morning and was going to check it soon. A You Tube rip, arghhh.

Ah well .....

Actually Jason it may not be a YouTube rip, as I had a look then and couldn't see the same copy uploaded. But it may have been a direct VHS rip then. It definitely was not in typical rage quality, and had ELLEN FOLEY and BOYS IN THE ATTIC in blue capital letters near the start.

I did notice after I saw your post when I went to edit on my DVD Recorder to keep the clip that it had the title in the beginning. Which to me looks like it's from a VHS compilation from the early 80s.

Jason 'The Moderator"

What can i say, the early 80s ruin me and always will

I agree on that - 1982 was the peak of the new wave era. A brilliant year for pop where it all came together. But I also love the rest of the 80's just not as much. To me 1985 right at the mid point is the essence of the 80's. Pure 80's. Miami Vice

Jason 'The Moderator"
Well Michael, I am glad rage has introduced you to THE best era in music. The early 80s and that you enjoy it so much.

Thanks raaaaage, where would us Countdown lovers be without them!

Although i was introduced to groups Adam & The Ants, Madness, Kim Wilde, Duran Duran and the singles Unguarded Moment & Boys In Town back in 1981 when my sister had all these records.

I do love lots of music from 1985 but the 80s became a bit too commercial for me by 1985/1986. The 'Miami Vice' era is too American and over produced. The NEW WAVE/NEW ROMANTIC era has aged beautifully as it was a new decade continuing from the freshness of 1979, so it was bound to be very original.

Much of the Australian and British 1985 was still brilliant though, but I found Countdown played less Australian content from more RARE bands and more American by 1985. I love how Countdown featured underground bands like Sardine V, Pel Mel, Ward 13 in the early 80s as well as The Expression e.t.c...

Unfortunately Countdown didn't feature enough Australian bands live in the studio anymore. Beargarden should have appeared live in the Countdown studio more than once, Hey Hey ended up having more performances from the likes of Beargarden etc than Countdown .... I'm Talking should have done Do You Wanna Be in the Countdown studio and not just awards, Koo De Tah should have done Think Of Me and Missed You All Along live on Countdown as well. I don't know why Countdown didn't have as many rarer Australian bands perform on the show by the mid 80s as they once didn't, anyhow's ...

Jason 'The Moderator"
I do love lots of music from 1985 but the 80s became a bit too commercial for me by 1985/1986. The 'Miami Vice' era is too American and over produced. The NEW WAVE/NEW ROMANTIC era has aged beautifully as it was a new decade continuing from the freshness of 1979, so it was bound to be very original.

Much of the Australian and British 1985 was still brilliant though but I found Countdown played less Australian content from more RARE bands and more American by 1985. I love how Countdown featured underground bands like Sardine V, Pel Mel, Ward 13 in the early 80s as well as The Expression e.t.c... Unfortunately Countdown didn't feature enough Australian bands live in the studio anymore. Beargarden should have appeared live in the Countdown studio more than once, I';m Talkign should have done Do You Wanna Be in the Countdown studio and not just awards, Koo De Tah should have done Think Of Me and Missed You All Along live on Countdown as well. I don't knwo why Countdown didn't have as many rarer Australian bands perform on the show by the mid 80s as they once didn't, anyhows ...

My (no doubt) wrong impression, without being overly familiar with Countdowns from that era, is that Molly was mostly overseas during 1985-6 (maybe 1984 too), in places like LA and New York, interviewing 'the big names'. He always plugged America as though it was the be all and end all, and seemed by that point to be more interested in getting American acts to tour 'down under' rather than promoting Australian artists. Personally, I've always found the UK/European scene much more interesting than the US, generally speaking. So I guess the greater focus on American acts reflects Molly's personal tastes and his travel schedule at the time.

Yes, Molly did always 'plug' America as if was the best place for Australian bands etc to have hits. I too think the UK and Europe was far more interesting musically than America. Commercial pop/rock America was rather awful in the 80s like Huey Lewis and all that rubbish but the US Funk material was far more interesting but shows like The Noise and Rock Arena played the more US Funk based material.

Countdown was overseas a lot in 1984 but Countdown still managed to have a lot of Australian bands live in the Countdown studio.

Though you have a very good point, I guess because Molly was 'Talent Co-ordinater' and not around as much in 1985/1986 the enthusiasm to have the same amount of Australian bands in the studio rather than just video would have played a big part. But also, video was a bigger medium by 1985 and it was cheaper to just play videos than do the elaborate set designs Countdown had from the 1980-1984 period.

I still don't see how hard it would have been to have bands like Koo De Tah, Beargarden perform every single released live in the Countdown studio, the high rotation of just videos by 1985/1986 killed the show. Though there are of course still some highlighted episodes from that mid 80s era that still feature a good amount of Countdown studio performances from OZ and International bands such as A-ha, The D a m n e d, Tears For Fears, Wa Wa Nee, Kids In The Kitchen, Pseudo Echo e.t.c...

Still bummed that in 1987 Carol Hitchcock didn't perform Get Ready on Countdown and Kylie didn't perform Locomotion on Countdown.

Would have also be great if in 1987, Mel & Kim would have came here for promo as they also could have performed on Countdown rather the endless crap performances from Crowded House, The Cockroaches and Painters And Dockers, arghhhhh

I totally agree re. UK music. Overall far more creative and original than the U.S. Though the U.S did have MJ and Prince.

Jason 'The Moderator"
Yes, Molly did always 'plug' America as if was the best place for Australian bands etc to have hits. I too think the UK and Europe was far more interesting musically than America. Commercial pop/rock America was rather awful in the 80s like Huey Lewis and all that rubbish but the US Funk material was far more interesting but shows like The Noise and Rock Arena played the more US Funk based material.

Countdown was overseas a lot in 1984 but Countdown still managed to have a lot of Australian bands live in the Countdown studio.

Though you have a very good point, I guess because Molly was 'Talent Co-ordinater' and not around as much in 1985/1986 the enthusiasm to have the same amount of Australian bands in the studio rather than just video would have played a big part. But also, video was a bigger medium by 1985 and it was cheaper to just play videos than do the elaborate set designs Countdown had from the 1980-1984 period.

I still don't see how hard it would have been to have bands like Koo De Tah, Beargarden perform every single released live in the Countdown studio, the high rotation of just videos by 1985/1986 killed the show. Though there are of course still some highlighted episodes from that mid 80s era that still feature a good amount of Countdown studio performances from OZ and International bands such as A-ha, The D a m n e d, Tears For Fears, Wa Wa Nee, Kids In The Kitchen, Pseudo Echo e.t.c...

Still bummed that in 1987 Carol Hitchcock didn't perform Get Ready on Countdown and Kylie didn't perform Locomotion on Countdown.

Would have also be great if in 1987, Mel & Kim would have came here for promo as they also could have performed on Countdown rather the endless crap performances from Crowded House, The Cockroaches and Painters And Dockers, arghhhhh

Although I am generally more interested in music videos than 'live' performances, I agree that Countdown was more interesting/had more of a 'vibe' about it when there were live acts on.

Carol Hitchcock & Kylie performing in 1987 would have been brilliant, as would Mel & Kim, of course. Mel & Kim hosting the show would have been amazing, too, as they have so much personality in the TV interviews I've seen.

ohnoitisnathan
The Ellen Foley video they showed this morning had to be a YouTube rip (artist/song title in blue ALL CAPS at the start, dull/washed out colours and fuzzy picture), with the audio re-synced by the ABC. Personally, I'd rather they aired nothing rather than resorting to YouTube rips, as they look so bad when the ABC broadcasts them.

I of course meant yellow lettering on the Ellen Foley clip.

Love that Countdown studio clip for "I Got You" - very creative

The 1980 episode was far the best episode for me played as the 2nd episode of the night. It was SOOOO futuristic and AMAZZZZZZING!

And the RARE Buggles video was simply toooo die for xoxoxo Was great to see the actual episode that I Got You was filmed for, goooorgeous xxxxx

I went to bed during the second episode (I was tired), but fast forwarded through this morning and saw that my signal dropped out for a few seconds during Sharon O'Neill's 'Maxine' performance on the last episode shown

Someone else who records rage (not on this forum) I asked also got a drop-out during the 'Maxine' performance, so presumably it was a transmission error. Did anyone else get the same thing?

ohnoitisnathan
Someone else who records rage (not on this forum) I asked also got a drop-out during the 'Maxine' performance, so presumably it was a transmission error. Did anyone else get the same thing?

I also had the fault in Maxine where it skipped a bit. Fortunately this performance also appears on the July 31 episode and the Wonder Years DVD.

I had a similar fault with Australian Crawl - Shutdown clip on the July 25 1982 episode.

I'm in Perth and didn't notice any issue with Maxine (other than having "COUNTDOWN August 28th, 1983" plastered over the start of it)
Maxine.MP4

I recorded on my DVD Recorder and my Foxtel IQ.

I always record on Fox tel as well as it's more reliable. I checked the 1982 JPY episode and I had lack of signal during Australian Crawls 'Shut Down' so funny you should mention that Guru ad it was very extreme so my Foxtel copy is perfect as I watched my Foxtel live last night instead of the DVD Recorder copy.

I didn't notice any dropout during Maxine and it seemed all in tact, I will watch it again later though

Jason 'The Moderator"
My dad took my sister and I to see Starstruck at THE GREATER UNION in Exhibition St in 1982 when it was released, soooo cool. That very Greater Union stayed exactly as it looked in 1982 until 2 years ago when they pulled it down for some posh hotel, arghhhhhh. Progress is S H I T

So true, it breaks my heart how many old buildings they demolish. There is a song by "The Living End" titled "All Torn Down" that expresses our feelings perfectly.

So do we know what the real date is of the Ellen Foley episode?

Re: Ellen Foley - My archives say Date:9/2/1980 ... And rage say 9/3/1980

So yeah

It can't be the 9/2/1980 as the first episode for 1980 was 3/2/1980 and Guru's list that he sent me many years ago has Ted Mulry as 10/2/1980. So maybe the Ellen Foley ep is 9/3/1980 as rage said?

Maybe it is the 9/3/1980 then... I don't know why my archives say 09/02/1980, arghhhhhhhhh.

I will check the paper archives the ABC gave me as well and get back to you

Guru also lists it as 10/2/80 as Ted Mulry in a recent thread 'Countdown episodes that rage has still to air'.

Okay, so you think Ellen Foley is 10/02/1980?

I haven't watched the full Ellen Foley ep yet, but did Molly mention Judi Tzuke from the week before or Steve Gilpin next week, which will then confirm it is 9/3/1980?

Jason 'The Moderator"
Okay, so you think Ellen Foley is 10/02/1980?

9/3/1980. So there is no 9/2/80. An error. 10/2/80 is Ted Mulry and there's no playlist for it in your archives. So it must be 9/3/80. I'm sure Guru Bob will confirm this when he's back on the forum.

Okay, so rage are right and my archives are wrong. Darn ABC, wish they would put right dates down when buying archival info!

Yes, but at least we worked it out. 😃

1 2