Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2016 Rage Retro Week 3 - Possibly out the window :(

Heard a blurb on ABC News radio about 30 minutes ago, promoting David Bowie on Doubel J, Digital Radio, and wait for it, Saturday's night Rage, so looks like Rage Retro week 3 is out the window. Hoping somebody's screwed up and they mean Friday night.

Re: 2016 Rage Retro Week 3 - Possibly out the window :(

Mark from 2PR FM
Heard a blurb on ABC News radio about 30 minutes ago, promoting David Bowie on Doubel J, Digital Radio, and wait for it, Saturday's night Rage, so looks like Rage Retro week 3 is out the window. Hoping somebody's screwed up and they mean Friday night.

Hi Mark,

Rage have confirmed a Bowie special/tribute on the friday night.

"His work has been a part of Rage since our beginning, and it's been an honour to beam his videos into your homes over the years, inspiring wave after wave of fans and budding musicians alike. We'll be airing a tribute to the Thin White Duke this Friday from 10:57pm."

Awesome, thanks Frank. Always think five weeks of retro must be too good to be true, and there is always something to ruin it like Tennis, Hockey, and as I thought on this occation, a David Bowie special. As much as I love his music, but not at the expense of loosing countdown. Anyway, thanks for confirming, that's pleasing to hear.

Just a little PS, is there any chance Jason can please consider removing these nasty capture codes, had to enter one five times before getting this reply down.

Mark from 2PR FM
Just a little PS, is there any chance Jason can please consider removing these nasty capture codes, had to enter one five times before getting this reply down.

I think Jason added them because I (and a few others as well, I think) were having trouble posting here about 12 months ago, where nearly every post I tried to make was blocked for being 'spam' once I hit submit.

I know the captchas are a pain (and I sometimes have trouble deciphering the code accurately too), but we seem to get far fewer spammers on the forum now (I don't think I've seen any since they've been in effect).

Mark from 2PR FM
Awesome, thanks Frank. Always think five weeks of retro must be too good to be true, and there is always something to ruin it like Tennis, Hockey, and as I thought on this occation, a David Bowie special. As much as I love his music, but not at the expense of loosing countdown. Anyway, thanks for confirming, that's pleasing to hear.

No worries :-) So far they've been adamant nothing will interfere with saturday nights so hope it continues. I'd dearly love to see the 1983 Rock Arena ep they truncated on saturday night in full so hopefully it'll be repeated sometime.

Frankster
Rage have confirmed a Bowie special/tribute on the friday night. "His work has been a part of Rage since our beginning, and it's been an honour to beam his videos into your homes over the years, inspiring wave after wave of fans and budding musicians alike. We'll be airing a tribute to the Thin White Duke this Friday from 10:57pm."

Bowie certainly deserves a full tribute... I thought rage might play a mini-tribute this weekend with the promise of a full tribute in Feb in order to not conflict with retro, but this is just as good.

rage had a Bowie special only six months ago which nearly ran all night, although they didn't play any of his Tin Machine clips which I thought was a curious omission given they played some of his other collaborations. I'd like to see the 12 minute epic album promo clip again.

With an 11pm start it would seem rage might be playing absolutely everything Bowie related in their vault.

Didn't the last Bowie special go for about 6 hours? So I'm guessing the only new additions are Tin Machine clips and Countdown interviews?

I got onto facebook a few days ago and asked if they could play some Countdown interviews with Bowie, of the top of my head, I mentioned the 20/3/83 and 16/11/80 episodes.

They're doing more Bowie Saturday morning from 9am, but quickly looking at the playlist it looks like repeat videos from Friday night/Sat morning.

Well having now watched all the Bowie special it was very good, congratulations to rage! I tend to prefer my retrospectives in chronological order, so the semi-random sequence of clips annoyed me a bit but it was very comprehesive and the interviews were generally very interesting.

rage played quite a few Bowie clips that are not commercially available. Taking the 2002 Bowie compilation DVD as the reference, they played 7 clips not on that release ("Sorrow", "Rubberband", "When I'm Five", "When The Wind Blows", "Drowned Girl", "Real Cool World" and "I Can't Read").

There are six pre-2002 clips they didn't play (the US version of "Blue Jean", "As The World Falls Down", "Fame '90", "Black Tie White Noise", "Buddha Of Suburbia", and "7 Years In Tibet"), maybe they no longer have these in the rage library.

For post 2002 clips, they only missed 3 as far as I can tell - "Slow Burn", "Love Is Lost", and "Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)" which I would assume are definitely in the rage library. These 3 are on YouTube in HD on Bowie official channels so no big loss there.

A bit disappointed they played only two of Tin Machine's 7 clips, especially not playing the 12 minute album promo which is head bending!

I've got a VHS copy of 'Black Tie, White Noise' from rage, aired as a new release in 1993, so they definitely had that in their library once.