Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro week 2: Skyhooks concert and 1975 promo

G'day folks,

Wondered if you wonderful folk could shed some light on what the source is for the Skyhooks live in concert 1974 shown last night..doesn't seem to be much of a clue where it's from or in what form it was originally broadcast..I thought probably a long form GTK special if such a thing existed but not sure.

Also that promo of 'in colour', there was a black and white version shown a few years back on Rage with the countdown logo and "midnight friday" at the bottom - the one from last night is the same promo but in colour and without the logo etc - so now we have a black and white and a colour version! Great! :)

Re: Rage Retro week 2: Skyhooks concert and 1975 promo

The 1974 concert looked good - sharp. Interesting to hear them to "Horror Movie" live before it was a hit

Going by the staging I think (almost 100% sure) Skyhooks were opening for Sherbet that night, so I am thinking the concert must have been in Sydney during the Slipstrrem tour. Nice to hear the original arrangements of some soon-to-be all time classics too. As for the promo, at that time they often recorded B & W and Colour clips at the same time, for other shows, this could be what happened here.

I wondered about the slipstream sign. Being the opening act explains why the audience was so quiet - they were waiting for Daryl & the boys. At this stage I don't think Skyhooks were well known to the casual pop fan

It being pre-Countdown I would say either act would be well known outside of their home states, despite Sherbet being a hit act since around 1972, (it takes a while for a fanbase to become established in any other town in those days).

I LOVED this show, it was so camp and fabulously over the top for it's time.

DId anyone else have the big lines across the screen in sections?

I did notice that, could be the same sort of interference the cameras had in those days as two other clips I have seen have similar traits, one from Billy Thorpe and the '72 Aztecs and the other is Zoot's "Eleanor Rigby".