Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Time start for rage goes retro 1 :

Saturday 2nd January, 2015

Rage Retro Month 11:21 PM - 5:00 AM ABC

Rage 5:00 AM - 6:00 AM ABC
Rage 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM ABC

It seems that on the ABC advertisement for rage goes retro 1 that in 2016, rage will be ending 'rage goes retro' at 5 am as opposed to 6 or 7 like they have the past few years :-( DARN!

Anyhow, so long as we get at least 20 Countdown episodes that haven't been played, I am happy AND the Rock Arena I'm Talking episode would be GREAT

I HOPE Countdown Revolution doesn't take up as much time as it did this year, people want Countdown in general not Revolution. And hopefully no Recovery or Antenna!

Re: Time start for rage goes retro 1 :

I hope that's just the TV guide in its general format (i.e. no specific mention of the guest programmer or special during the 5-6 and 6-7 slots).

Looking at this year's playlists, they aired an hour of new release videos during the last hour of Saturday night's episodes for the first 3 weeks in January, but the last two were retro all the way through until the end.

One of the 3 weeks with new release videos at the end had them for the last 3 hours, though rage finished at 8:30am that morning. Still, such a waste of space!

I would like to see a few Countdown Revolution episodes this January, but the ones they selected this year weren't very interesting on the whole. The 1989 episodes are much better than the 1990 ones, definitely.

Rage have said that they're airing a tribute to the Motorhead member who died, on 9th January during the night (due to several M/MA videos). I hope that doesn't cut into Saturday night's retro air time, but it looks like it will, as the 9th is a Saturday. There's also presumably a tribute to the Easybeats singer to look 'forward' to, too.

PS I'd be pleasantly surprised if specific times will be available this January via the rage mobile app. I'm not counting on it, though, as it hasn't been updated for the last few months, and when it was, it was a week behind. Apparently it's out of rage's hands though.

It was bad enough that Steve from Easybeats died but now Lemmy from Motörhead has died as well and I read on the Facebook page that on Saturday 9th Jan, there will be a tribute o both! We are F U C K E D that night in terms of Countdown etc.

Ughhhh, why must they all drop like flies every year at this time, fricking CRAP!

Hopefully, one of them will have their tribute on Saturday morning of the 9th!

Jason 'The Moderator'
It was bad enough that Steve from Easybeats died but now Lemmy from Motörhead has died as well and I read on the Facebook page that on Saturday 9th Jan, there will be a tribute o both! We are F U C K E D that night in terms of Countdown etc.

Ughhhh, why must they all drop like flies every year at this time, fricking CRAP!

I was waiting for this to happen, December/January always seems a popular time to die. It usually also happens in threes so we will just have to wait and see who the third one is.

I see tonight they are repeating Blood & Thunder - The Sound Of Alberts which is a superb doco and covers Stevie Wright and The Easybeats. It is well worth watching and fortunately won't interfere with Retro. That should be more than enough of a tribute so hopefully anything on the 9th won't go too long but I'm sure they won't be able to help themselves and show every Easybeats clip and Evie parts 1,2&3 which goes for about 12 minutes.

They should actually utilize their Vault episode on Monday night for these sort of tributes.

Not looking forward to seeing the Lemmy tribute, hopefully just a few clips at most and not a heavy metal doco that I saw once. Definitely not a fan of Motorhead.

If we get 6 Countdown's this Saturday and at least a couple next week then I won't be too fussed by the tribute.

Guru Josh has died now, too! Aged 51.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/dec/29/guru-josh-rave-star-dies-aged-51

Now that's one act I wouldn't mind Rage paying tribute to... all two of his videos (3 if you count the 2008 remix that he doesn't actually appear in from memory).

Guru Bob

They should actually utilize their Vault episode on Monday night for these sort of tributes.

Excellent idea. Though I have been enjoying those shows (when they're good), but I can live with one/a couple of them being tribute shows.

Or as I suggested on the old rage message board, maybe they should ditch all of these mini-specials when someone dies, and in their place have one or two RIP specials every year

I've noticed they haven't been doing as many of these tributes in the last few years, though.

Someone also complained on Facebook about the Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots singer) tribute being shown at 'ridiculous o'clock' (or whatever they said, i.e. 4am Saturday morning).

Well that settles it. They've just replied on facebook that they won't eat into retro time with the tributes

I just realised that the playlist for retro week 1 will be posted *today*, with tomorrow being a public holiday... if rage can get it together

Playlist now up!

Saturday night 2 January 2016

11:00pm

COUNTDOWN September 28th, 1980 ()
COUNTDOWN December 14th, 1986 ()
ROCK ARENA April 25th, 1987 ()
COUNTDOWN July 24th, 1983 ()
COUNTDOWN May 6th, 1984 ()

3:30am

ROCK ARENA July 7th, 1984 ()

5:00am

KEITH RICHARDS Love Overdue (EMI)
CHARLES BRADLEY Changes (Daptone)
TUXEDO The Right Time (Kaytranada Remix) (Stones Throw / Inertia)
SHIRLEY STRACHAN ABC TV Summer Ident, 1976 (Rage)
SHIRLEY STRACHAN Mr Summer (Festival)
SHERBET Summer Love (Festival)
MONDO ROCK Summer Of 81 (Polydor)
BRYAN ADAMS Summer Of '69 (Festival)
THE STYLE COUNCIL Long Hot Summer (Polydor)

5:30am

THE DURUTTI COLUMN Sketch For Summer (Factory)
THE SUNDAYS Summertime (EMI)
DEEE-LITE Picnic In The Summertime (Warner)
MUNGO JERRY In The Summertime (Festival)
DARYL BRAITHWAITE One Summer (Sony)
BANANARAMA Cruel Summer (Liberation)
DON HENLEY Boys Of Summer (Sony)
BELINDA CARLISLE Summer Rain (Virgin)

06:00am

BLOOD ORANGE Sandra's Smile (Domino)
PANDA BEAR Crosswords (Domino)
JOHN GRANT Down Here (Bella Union)
DARWIN DEEZ The Mess She Made (Lucky Number / Inertia)
POLICA Lime Habit (Mom and Pop)
!!! Ooo (Warp / Inertia)
DORNIK Strong (Caroline)
CLUBFEET We Are Affected (Illusive)
JESS KENT Get Down (Independent)

06:30am

BJORK Mouth Mantra (Pod / Inertia)
JILL SCOTT Back Together (Warner)
AURORA Half The World Away (Glassnote Records)
SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS White Christmas (Daptone)
GUM Anesthetized Lesson (Spinning Top)
TINY LITTLE HOUSES Soon We Won't Exist (Ivy League)
THE CAT EMPIRE Wolves (Two Shoes Records)

Interesting to see the Deee-Lite clip there (though I have a VHS copy).

So new release rubbish from 6

Year: 1980
Date: 28/09/1980
Show no: 259
Summary: THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY THE LEAD SINGERS FROM THE BANDS WHO PERFORMED LIVE ON THE SHOW.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
XTC 'GENERALS & MAJORS'
LISA BADE 'TRAVELLER IN THE NIGHT'
SWANEE 'OL ROSIE'
EDITH BLISS 'TWO SINGLE BEDS'
FLOWERS 'WE CAN GET TOGETHER'
AUSTRALIAN REVIEW:
DUGITES 'GOODBYE'
NUMBERS 'FIVE LETTER WORD'
MARK GILLESPIE 'ONLY HUMAN'
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'PUPPET ON A STRING'
MONITORS 'SINGING IN THE 80'S'
RICHARD CLAPTON 'GET BACK TO THE SHELTER'
INNOCENTS 'SOONER OR LATER'
MI-SEX 'IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I'M LAUGHING'
CHRISTIE ALLEN 'BABY GET AWAY'
AIR SUPPLY 'ALL OUT OF LOVE'
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'INDISPOSED'
COLD CHISEL 'STAR HOTEL'
ANGELS 'FACE THE DAY'
LISA BADE 'TRAVELLER IN THE NIGHT'
SWANEE 'OL ROSIE'
EDITH BLISS 'TWO SINGLE BEDS'
FLOWERS 'WE CAN GET TOGETHER'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDO CLIPS:
RANDY VANWARMER 'WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE'
POINTER SISTERS 'HE'S SO SHY'
PRETENDERS 'TALK OF THE TOWN'
AC/DC 'YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
GARY NUMAN 'I DIE YOU DIE'
SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES 'CHRISTIE'
ROXY MUSIC 'OH YEAH'
DAVID ESSEX 'HOT LOVE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
KATE BUSH 'BABOOSHKA'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'MAGIC'
ROLLING STONES 'EMOTIONAL RESCUE'
IRENE CARA 'FAME'
ROCKY BURNETTE 'FALLIN' IN LOVE'
DIANA ROSS 'UPSIDE DOWN'
ROMANTICS 'WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU'
LEO SAYER 'MORE THAN I CAN SAY'
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN/ELO 'ZANADU'
GENGHIS KAHN ' MOSCOW'

Year: 1986
Date: 14/12/1986
Show no: 539
Summary: POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING OVERSEAS AND LOCAL TALENT, THIS COUNTDOWN IS LIVE TO AIR, INCLUDING LIVE CROSSES TO THE SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE SETTING UP FOR THE ELTON JOHN CONCERT IT IS AN INSERT SHOW WITH LIVE HOSTS INCLUDING KIRK PENGILLY, ROSS WILSON, ANGRY ANDERSON AND GREEDY SMITH. MOLLY (WITH HAT) INTERVIEWS KIRK PENGILLY RE AUSTRALIAN BANDS TOURING AUSTRALIA AND
INXS' NEW ALBUM, MOLLY INTERVIEWS ANGRY ANDERSON REROSE TATTOO'S NEW ALBUM AND PUB TOUR, ANGRY ANDERSON PRESENTS MOLLY WITH KEN DONE T-SHIRT ADVERTISING ROSE TATTOO, MOLLY INTERVIEWS ROSS WILSON RE NEW ABULM ANDAUSTRALIAN BANDS TOUR AUSTRALIA, MOLLY INTERVIEWS GREEDY SMITH RE AUSTRALIAN BANDS TOUR AUSTRALIA AND NEW SONG 'PARADISE'. US TOP FIVE ARE READ ONLY, UK TOP 5
ARE READ ONLY AND NATIONAL TOP TEN ARE READ ONLY WITH CLIP OF NUMBER 2 PSEUDO ECHO 'FUNKYTOWN'
LOCAL ARTISTS:
INXS/JIMMY BARNES 'GOOD TIMES' (6.43)
ROSE TATTOO 'GET IT RIGHT' (14.43)
MONDO ROCK 'PRIMITIVE LOVE RITES' (28.15)
V SPY V SPY '(DON'T) TEAR IT DOWN' (37.48)
JOHN FARNHAM 'PRESSURE DOWN' (47.21)
PSEUDO ECHO 'FUNKYTOWN' (55.06)
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
CYNDI LAUPER 'CHANGE OF HEART' (0.32)
NICK KAMEN 'EACH TIME YOU BREAK MY HEART' (10.10)
POLICE 'DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME' (17.42)
WANG CHUNG 'EVERYBODY HAVE FUN TONIGHT' (22.49)
HOWARD JONES 'YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU (DON'T YOU)'
JANET JACKSON 'CONTROL' (42.02)
NATIONAL TOP 10-1:
CUTTING CREW '(I JUST) DIED IN YOUR ARMS' (51.39)
BANGLES 'WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN' (51.46)
THE PRETENDERS 'DON'T GET ME WRONG'
STACEY Q 'TWO OF HEARTS (52.14)
COMMUNARDS 'DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY'
PAUL SIMON 'YOU CAN CALL ME AL' (52.37)
CHRIS DE BURGH 'LADY IN RED' (52.52)
BILLY IDOL 'TO BE A LOVER' (53.07)
PSEUDO ECHO 'FUNKYTOWN' (53.19)
JOHN FARNHAM 'YOU'RE THE VOICE' (53.35)

Back to the Index

Year: 1983
Date: 24/07/1983
Show no: 380
Summary: SHOW HOSTED BY DJ'S IAN GRACE FROM 2SM AND GARY SHANNON FROM 6PM AND INCLUDES HUMDRUM MUSIC NEWS DURING WHICH RAP DANCER, ARTHUR TSIMBOURIS, PERFORMS AND MOLLY IV'S HIM RE HIS AGE, WHAT SCHOOL HE GOES TO AND WHAT HE WANTS TO DO WHEN HE GROWS UP. ALSO SHOWS FTG OF RAP DANCE IN STREET AND IV FAY WAYBILL FROM BAND, THE TUBES, RE WRITING SONGS TO GO WITH VIDEOS.
STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
HOODOO GURUS 'TOJO';
HAYSI FANTAYZEE 'SHINY SHINY';
VIDEO CLIPS:
RADIATORS 'YOU';
LOVERBOY 'HOT GIRLS IN LOVE';
JOAN ARMATRADING 'CALL ME NAMES';
ROBERT HAZZARD 'ESCALATOR OF LIFE';
ALTERED IMAGES 'DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT LOVE' AND IV SINGER CLARE;
SPANDAU BALLET 'TRUE';
TUBES 'SHE'S A BEAUTY';
ELTON JOHN 'CALL IT THE BLUES';
TOP TEN:
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BEAT IT';
EURYTHMICS 'SWEET DREAMS';
TIM FINN 'FRACTION TOO MUCH FRICTION';
REAL LIFE 'SEND ME AN ANGEL';
EDDY GRANT 'ELECTRIC AVENUE';
ELTON JOHN 'I'M STILL STANDING';
CULTURE CLUB 'CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND';
BONNIE TYLER 'TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART';
POLICE 'EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE';
IRENE CARA 'FLASHDANCE'

Year: 1984
Date: 06/05/1984
Show no: 415
Summary: THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY MOLLY WHO SHOWED AN EXCERPT OF A VIDEO MADE BY MEMBERS FROM FLINDERS NEW PRIMARY SCHOOL ABOUT THEIR COUNTDOWN IMITATION SHOW.
VIDEO CLIPS:
ICEHOUSE 'TAKING THE TOWN'
MONDO ROCK 'BABY WANTS TO ROCK'
KIDS IN THE KITCHEN 'BITTER DESIRE'
MI-SEX 'BLUE DAY'
THE CARS 'YOU MIGHT THINK' AND IV RE BEING ROMANTIC,
WRITING SONGS, MEANING OF GROUP NAME
THE TWINS 'NOT THE LOVING KIND'
THOMPSON TWINS 'DOCTOR DOCTOR'
INDUSTRY 'STATE OF THE NATION'
BIG COUNTRY 'IN A BIG COUNTRY' (EXCERPT) OVERLAYED BY IV RE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUDIO AND LIVE PERFORMANCES, ALBUM RECORDING.
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'I WANT A NEW DRUG (CALLED LOVE)'
BETTE MIDLER 'BEAST OF BURDEN' AND IV RE FILMING VIDEO
CLIP WITH MICK JAGGER
TOP TEN:
BILLY IDOL 'REBEL YELL'
MARYLYN 'CALLING YOUR NAME'
NIK KERSHAW 'WOULDN'T IT BE GOOD'
MADONNA 'HOLIDAY'
INXS 'I SEND A MESSAGE'
CYNDI LAUPER 'GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN'
THOMPSON TWINS 'HOLD ME NOW'
KENNY LOGGINS 'FOOTLOOSE'
NENA '99 LUFT BALLOONS'
WIERD AL JANKOVIC 'EAT IT'

Natalie Cole - brings the annual toll to 4.

Just heard about Natalie Cole. I thought her version of 'Pink Cadillac' was one of the best tracks of '88 and i loved it when rage would play the 12" video when it was high up in the charts.

I can't find the Saturday morning playlist for Rage Goes Retro 1 2016 on Rage website, could it be all of the clips by The Easybeats and Stevie Wright as a tribute to Stevie on this morning playlist?

ohnoitisnathan
Playlist now up!

Saturday night 2 January 2016

11:00pm

COUNTDOWN September 28th, 1980 ()
COUNTDOWN December 14th, 1986 ()
ROCK ARENA April 25th, 1987 ()
COUNTDOWN July 24th, 1983 ()
COUNTDOWN May 6th, 1984 ()

3:30am

ROCK ARENA July 7th, 1984 ()

5:00am

At last they are playing episode after episode of retro shows without wasting time by having an artist clip special in between.

Jason 'The Moderator'

Some might think those comments a tad insensitive, after all Stevie Wright was an Australian music legend, he deserves a tribute.

Rage didn't do many tributes last year. Chris Squire from Yes died in June 2015 - no tribute. Plenty of other artists have died with no tributes. Two that immediately come to mind were Cecil Womack in Feb 2013, and Michael Been (lead singer of The Call) in Aug 2010.

So don't get too agitated - we still have lots of Retro this month and it seems a permanent 2-3 hour retro show every Monday night. We should be grateful rage is accommodating so many competing interests and tastes.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Saturday 2nd January, 2015
I HOPE Countdown Revolution doesn't take up as much time as it did this year, people want Countdown in general not Revolution. And hopefully no Recovery or Antenna!

I agree re. Countdown Revolution and Recovery. Zero interest for me. But there are some here who enjoy them. Would love to see more Antenna episodes - can't get enough stories on remote controlled planes!

Countdown revolution would be fine, as long as we get the episodes with the lovely Lisa co-hosting them.

Stephen
Countdown revolution would be fine, as long as we get the episodes with the lovely Lisa co-hosting them.

Yeah. Although there's probably some rare music videos shown on the 1990 episodes, Mark Little is a shocking host, and so is what came after he & Tania.

It would be cool if rage did a Natalie Cole tribute at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't, given she's not an artist they usually play (only the 'Wild Women Do' remix and 'Mr Melody' have been aired since 1998).

At Guru,

I hope the Countdown's and Rock Arena's all in a row continue this months without oo much music videos in between

Retro week 2 starts at 11:53pm.

Jason 'The Moderator'
At Guru,

I hope the Countdown's and Rock Arena's all in a row continue this months without oo much music videos in between

We'll have to wait and see what happens this week with a few tributes planned apparently - hopefully 8-9am and not during Saturday night.
They usually give us a strong opening retro night, I'm guessing the Countdown's may drop off as they bring in other material.
As long as it is episode after episode of ABC shows and not artist or theme special clips I don't mind. The Saturday morning section with clips was good, keep Saturday night to the shows.

Jason 'The Moderator'

With the Lemmy tribute in the middle of Friday night and Stevie on Saturday morning we get two great tributes that fortunately also didn't affect Retro month as it has in the past. Really appreciate how Rage are looking after all the interest groups.

Didn't realise that John Bradbury of The Specials had also died. Looks like they don't have too many Natalie Cole clips in the archives.

Glenn Frey of The Eagles brings it to No.7